A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee…

A Streetcar Named Desire (1947)

by Tennessee Williams

English (53)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
I didn't know much about this play before I started reading it. I had a vague notion of the character of Blanche DuBois and I knew that someone would yell "Stella!" at some point, but that's about it.

I wasn't prepared for how dark the play was going to be. It deals with some pretty heavy issues.

I agree with Kim that the stage directions were very well written and one of the best parts of the play. I would never have thought that stage directions would be so poetic, as I mainly think of them as bland physical descriptions. Williams does an excellent job describing the mood that should be created by the scenery. ( )
  klburnside | Nov 11, 2015 |
While I have read all the fiction which has won the Pulitzer prize, this is only the 5th book I have read of Drama Pulitzer prizewinners. (The other four I've read are Strange Interlude (read 24 Apr 1949), Death of a Salesman (read 28 July 2003), Alison's House (read 9 Apr 2007) and Harvey ((read 6 Dec 2009) I saw the movie A Streetcar Named Desire in 1952 in Norfolk, VA, but I found the reading of the play pretty interesting and it is the next best thing to seeing the play. I could not help but feel some sympathy for Blanche and some revulsion as to Stanley's brutalistic behavior even before his dastardly attack on Blanche while Stanley's wife was in the hospital to have a baby. Blanche was clearly sick and deserved better treatment than Stanley ladled out to her. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jul 8, 2015 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
As someone who doesn't depend on the kindness of strangers, I was out of my element. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
This was a great book/play. I really enjoyed reading this. it was very suspenseful and kept me interested. I didn't want to put it down. ( )
  ccampeaux | Apr 22, 2015 |

Is contained in

ERROR A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

New voices in the American theatre by Brooks Atkinson (indirect)

Sweet Bird of Youth / A Streetcar Named Desire / The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams (indirect)

Best American Plays: Third Series, 1945-1951 by John Gassner (indirect)

50 Best Plays of the American Theatre, Volume 3 by Clive Barnes (indirect)

TEATRO. Teatro Norteamericano contemporaneo. Thornton Wilder; Nuestro pueblo. William Saroyan; El momento de tu vida. Tennessee Williams; Un tranvía llamado deseo. Arthur Miller; La muerte de un viajante. William Inge; Picnic. John Patrick; la casa de té de la luna de agosto (indirect)

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

And so it was I entered the broken world
To trace the visionary company of love, its voice
An instant in the wind (I know not whither hurled)
But not for long to hold each desperate choice.
"The Broken Tower" by Hart Crane
The exterior of a two-storey corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L&N tracks and the river.
Stanley [bottle in hand]: Have a shot?
Blanche: No, I – I rarely touch it.
Stanley: Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Stanley: I never met a woman that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got.

Blanche: Whoever you are – I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche: Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable. It is the only unforgivable thing in my opinion and it is the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty.

Blanche: They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at – Elysian Fields!
This work refers to separate editions of the play. Please do not combine with omnibus editions which contain other plays also, nor with any other version that does not contain the full original text (e.g. abridged or simplified texts, movie adaptations, the opera, student guides or notes, etc.).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167783, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Blanche DuBois and her last grasp at happiness, and of Stanley Kowalski, the one who destroyed her chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

Blanche DuBois, a haggard and fragile southern beauty finds her pathetic last grasp at happiness cruelly destroyed in large part by her brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible