A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee…

A Streetcar Named Desire (1947)

by Tennessee Williams

English (49)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
This was a great book/play. I really enjoyed reading this. it was very suspenseful and kept me interested. I didn't want to put it down. ( )
  ccampeaux | Apr 22, 2015 |
Read this one for ENC1102 with good ol' Professor Macia at MDC. I haven't read many plays aside from A Raisin in the Sun back in High school (i.e., in 3-4 years), but I thought this one was pretty great. This is mostly as a result of having fallen in love with the two main characters that are Stanley and Blanche - especially Blanche, who I believe depicts the idea of narcissism in a very interesting way with her magical thinking and the like. I did feel a bit bummed about some of the other characters, such as Stella, whom I believe were meant to represent the more dependent side of the co-dependent relationship when it comes to narcissistic and co-dependent relationships, and as a result were shown to be more characteristically naive and innocent, but this had the unfortunate effect of making them rather uninteresting at times. I do find the ultimate idea behind the book (or at least if my interpretation of it) of man and woman relationships being at their core narcissistic and co-dependent to be absolutely bonkers, but it's a fascinating idea to consider either way! I also loved the use of music to add to the different scenes and the way Tennessee Williams describes New Orleans - you can tell he really did love the place and the whole idea behind it. ( )
  MMMMTOASTY | Mar 16, 2015 |
A story about jaded, sad and promiscuous woman. It is also about the family and violence against women set in the backdrop of Louisiana.
  cm37107 | Mar 6, 2015 |
Reread for one of my book clubs. It still packs a punch.
  Pickiej | Jan 24, 2015 |
Wow. Well. I guess there's a reason [b:A Streetcar Named Desire|12220|A Streetcar Named Desire|Tennessee Williams|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1389153133s/12220.jpg|142449] is a classic. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

And so it was I entered the broken world
To trace the visionary company of love, its voice
An instant in the wind (I know not whither hurled)
But not for long to hold each desperate choice.
"The Broken Tower" by Hart Crane
The exterior of a two-storey corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L&N tracks and the river.
Stanley [bottle in hand]: Have a shot?
Blanche: No, I – I rarely touch it.
Stanley: Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Stanley: I never met a woman that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got.

Blanche: Whoever you are – I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche: Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable. It is the only unforgivable thing in my opinion and it is the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty.

Blanche: They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at – Elysian Fields!
This work refers to separate editions of the play. Please do not combine with omnibus editions which contain other plays also, nor with any other version that does not contain the full original text (e.g. abridged or simplified texts, movie adaptations, the opera, student guides or notes, etc.).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167783, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Blanche DuBois and her last grasp at happiness, and of Stanley Kowalski, the one who destroyed her chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:36 -0400)

Blanche DuBois, a haggard and fragile southern beauty finds her pathetic last grasp at happiness cruelly destroyed in large part by her brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,749,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible