UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO by Tennessee…

UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO (original 1947; edition 2007)

by Tennessee Williams

Member:Ludemian
Title:UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO
Authors:Tennessee Williams
Info:Unknown (2007), Edición: 1st., Paperback

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (1947)

English (59)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (63)
I have to admit that when I first approached this play in the Marlon Brando and Vivienne Leigh film I was skeptical. The story was muddy and confusing, as well as were many of the character portrayals. However, after reading the play in class and watching the film a second time, I began to appreciate it more and see William's genius. The characters have subtle yet completely realistic qualities that one can find in either themselves or people he knows, as well as their massive flaws. Tennessee Williams was a fantastic playwright and this is only the first I've read by him, but it will not be the last. ( )
  mlmarks98 | May 13, 2017 |
With dust jacket, worn at edges and spine but with art and text substantially intact
  shijin | Feb 6, 2017 |
I'm going to end up reading this about 10 more times before I finish teaching it. I'll have it memorized by November! ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
I'm really struggling between three and four stars for this. The dialogue is fantastic, and the atmosphere is really well evoked, but the implied rape ruined the whole thing for me in a lot of ways, but mostly because I feel it happened purely so something bad happened, if you know what I mean? It felt like it ruined any of the subtlety in the characterisation of either Blanche or Stanley. I struggled to feel any sympathy at all for Blanche up until that point, especially after it turned out that she had sexually exploited/assaulted one of her school pupils, and I felt that scene went too far in trying to reverse how I felt about her. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
This play is a great work. Captures the typical scene of a woman bailing out her husband from jail the morning after a beating.

Also captures a woman who had lost her youth... terrific in it's sadness, somehow thrilling in how you can feel joy afterward.

I was near to tears with the very last scene. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |

Williams, Tennesseeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Tennesseemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

And so it was I entered the broken world
To trace the visionary company of love, its voice
An instant in the wind (I know not whither hurled)
But not for long to hold each desperate choice.
"The Broken Tower" by Hart Crane
The exterior of a two-storey corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L&N tracks and the river.
Stanley [bottle in hand]: Have a shot?
Blanche: No, I – I rarely touch it.
Stanley: Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Stanley: I never met a woman that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got.

Blanche: Whoever you are – I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche: Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable. It is the only unforgivable thing in my opinion and it is the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty.

Blanche: They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at – Elysian Fields!
This work refers to separate editions of the play. Please do not combine with omnibus editions which contain other plays also, nor with any other version that does not contain the full original text (e.g. abridged or simplified texts, movie adaptations, the opera, student guides or notes, etc.).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167783, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Blanche DuBois and her last grasp at happiness, and of Stanley Kowalski, the one who destroyed her chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

Blanche DuBois, a haggard and fragile southern beauty finds her pathetic last grasp at happiness cruelly destroyed in large part by her brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,476,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible