UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO by Tennessee…

UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO (original 1947; edition 2007)

by Tennessee Williams

Member:Ludemian
Title:UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO
Authors:Tennessee Williams
Info:Unknown (2007), Edición: 1st., Paperback

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (1947)

English (42)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
We read A Streetcar Named Desire in English class as our first work of the year, and although it's not something I would pick up at the library for pleasure reading, I do feel that it's something everyone should read at some point in their life and in certain ways, I did enjoy it. Blanche DuBois is a high-strung, fallen Southern Belle who after losing her husband, job, family, home, and reputation, comes to the New Orleans apartment of her younger sister and husband, Stella and Stanley Kowalski to find companionship and emotional stability. It doesn't take long for Blanche to become at odds with Stanley, a power-hungry brute who takes advantage of women, including his wife, repeatedly. Stella and Stanley's marriage, one based largely on physical rather than emotional attraction, was troubled, especially by domestic abuse. Stella, wanting to turn a blind eye to her situation, is opened to the truth by Blanche, making Stanley believe that Blanche is ruining his marriage, and that with Stella being pregnant, all their marriage needs to be alright again is for Blanche to leave. Blanche in the meantime, is dealing with depression and a need for companionship that she hopes Stella, and a friend of Stanley's, Mitch, will satisfy. Every character in this play desires something desperately, and it's this raw desire and how far one will go to achieve it that this play really brings to light.

My favorite aspect of this play is the complexity of Blanche, a very independent, ladylike, Southern Belle, who even in an emotionally fragile state, maintains a sense of strength and grace. Although Blanche gets ruined in Laurel for promiscuous behavior, there's more to her than a desire for lust. Blanche desires to have someone to care for, and someone to care for her and respect her as a woman and person. In spite of Blanche's aloof nature, I admire her for not letting Stanley and other men who have taken advantage of Blanche strip her of her dignity. The reason I gave this play four stars and not five was simply because it wasn't as riveting or thought-provoking as other works I've read, but it nonetheless is a work to be read and appreciated, and I definitely recommend it. ( )
  literarybuff | Nov 5, 2014 |
I'm really struggling between three and four stars for this. The dialogue is fantastic, and the atmosphere is really well evoked, but the implied rape ruined the whole thing for me in a lot of ways, but mostly because I feel it happened purely so something bad happened, if you know what I mean? It felt like it ruined any of the subtlety in the characterisation of either Blanche or Stanley. I struggled to feel any sympathy at all for Blanche up until that point, especially after it turned out that she had sexually exploited/assaulted one of her school pupils, and I felt that scene went too far in trying to reverse how I felt about her. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
ASCNDesire. A clever play in which Tennessee Williams demonstrates that sometimes, whichever door you enter from, if there are certain human elements present, everyone loses. Even the baby. ( )
  Novak | Jul 3, 2014 |
A Streetcar Named Desire is one of Tennessee Williams' best known plays and rightly so. Williams expertly creates the conflict arising from the mistrust Stanley has for Blanche and how Stanley figures into her mental collapse and eventual commitment. The rising conflict between these two characters is at the heart of this play, alongside Stella's concern for her sister; this makes the final scene all the more heart-breaking as Stella is complicit in the institutionalisation of her sister after Stanley attacked her.

That scene, which gave literature of its most famous lines, is the crowning of an excellently realised drama and study in interpersonal relations.

A great work in American literature.

xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
Blanche DuBois, a woman whose fortunes have changed for the worse, comes to live with her sister Stella and her brother-in-law Stanley in New Orleans. In Blanche and Stanley, Tennessee Williams created two of the stage’s truly great characters. Blanche faces alcoholism, faded beauty, and lost status; she tries to cover up past scandals both as a teacher and in her marriage, all while desperately trying to keep up the appearance and her own delusion that she’s still attractive to men. Stanley, meanwhile, is a primal force, all emotion, passionate, and abusive. Conflict between Stanley and Stella is inevitable. Who can forget lines like “I have always depended on the kindness of strangers” from Blanche, or Brando screaming “Stella” in the film adaptation? It must have been very special to see that first cast in 1947, with a 23-year-old Brando.

Just this quote, on desire:
Stella: But there are things that happen between a man and a woman in the dark - that sort of make everything else seem - unimportant. [Pause.]
Blanche: What you are talking about is brutal desire - just - Desire! - the name of that rattle-trap street-car that bangs through the Quarter, up one old narrow street and down another...
Stella: Haven't you ever ridden on that street-car? ( )
2 vote gbill | Jan 20, 2014 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

And so it was I entered the broken world
To trace the visionary company of love, its voice
An instant in the wind (I know not whither hurled)
But not for long to hold each desperate choice.
"The Broken Tower" by Hart Crane
The exterior of a two-storey corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L&N tracks and the river.
Stanley [bottle in hand]: Have a shot?
Blanche: No, I – I rarely touch it.
Stanley: Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Stanley: I never met a woman that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got.

Blanche: Whoever you are – I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche: Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable. It is the only unforgivable thing in my opinion and it is the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty.

Blanche: They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at – Elysian Fields!
This work refers to separate editions of the play. Please do not combine with omnibus editions which contain other plays also, nor with any other version that does not contain the full original text (e.g. abridged or simplified texts, movie adaptations, the opera, student guides or notes, etc.).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167783, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Blanche DuBois and her last grasp at happiness, and of Stanley Kowalski, the one who destroyed her chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:36 -0400)

Blanche DuBois, a haggard and fragile southern beauty finds her pathetic last grasp at happiness cruelly destroyed in large part by her brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible