UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO by Tennessee…

UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO (original 1947; edition 2007)

by Tennessee Williams

Member:Ludemian
Title:UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO
Authors:Tennessee Williams
Info:Unknown (2007), Edición: 1st., Paperback

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (1947)

English (56)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
I'm really struggling between three and four stars for this. The dialogue is fantastic, and the atmosphere is really well evoked, but the implied rape ruined the whole thing for me in a lot of ways, but mostly because I feel it happened purely so something bad happened, if you know what I mean? It felt like it ruined any of the subtlety in the characterisation of either Blanche or Stanley. I struggled to feel any sympathy at all for Blanche up until that point, especially after it turned out that she had sexually exploited/assaulted one of her school pupils, and I felt that scene went too far in trying to reverse how I felt about her. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
When Blanche DuBois comes to visit her sister, Stella, and Stella's husband, Stanley, it soon becomes evident that things are not right. Conflicts arise because Blanche insists on maintaining her hold on her upper class upbringing, and she view Stanley as "common." In addition, he is abusive to Stella, and Blanche lies compulsively in order to maintain what little sanity she has left. Things come to a head when Blanche tries to seduce one of Stanley's friends, Mitch, and Stanley uncovers Blanche's past to protect Mitch.

Williams certainly does create interesting characters. It's easy to see why his plays are such classics. Some plays are really hard to read and just have to be seen, but I didn't have any trouble at all getting into this one even though I was just reading it. I definitely recommend it. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I didn't know much about this play before I started reading it. I had a vague notion of the character of Blanche DuBois and I knew that someone would yell "Stella!" at some point, but that's about it.

I wasn't prepared for how dark the play was going to be. It deals with some pretty heavy issues.

I agree with Kim that the stage directions were very well written and one of the best parts of the play. I would never have thought that stage directions would be so poetic, as I mainly think of them as bland physical descriptions. Williams does an excellent job describing the mood that should be created by the scenery. ( )
  klburnside | Nov 11, 2015 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

And so it was I entered the broken world
To trace the visionary company of love, its voice
An instant in the wind (I know not whither hurled)
But not for long to hold each desperate choice.
"The Broken Tower" by Hart Crane
The exterior of a two-storey corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L&N tracks and the river.
Stanley [bottle in hand]: Have a shot?
Blanche: No, I – I rarely touch it.
Stanley: Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Stanley: I never met a woman that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got.

Blanche: Whoever you are – I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche: Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable. It is the only unforgivable thing in my opinion and it is the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty.

Blanche: They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at – Elysian Fields!
This work refers to separate editions of the play. Please do not combine with omnibus editions which contain other plays also, nor with any other version that does not contain the full original text (e.g. abridged or simplified texts, movie adaptations, the opera, student guides or notes, etc.).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167783, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Blanche DuBois and her last grasp at happiness, and of Stanley Kowalski, the one who destroyed her chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

Blanche DuBois, a haggard and fragile southern beauty finds her pathetic last grasp at happiness cruelly destroyed in large part by her brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible