UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO by Tennessee…

UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO (original 1947; edition 2007)

by Tennessee Williams

Member:Ludemian
Title:UN TRANVIA LLAMADO DESEO
Authors:Tennessee Williams
Info:Unknown (2007), Edición: 1st., Paperback

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (1947)

English (47)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
Reread for one of my book clubs. It still packs a punch.
  Pickiej | Jan 24, 2015 |
Wow. Well. I guess there's a reason [b:A Streetcar Named Desire|12220|A Streetcar Named Desire|Tennessee Williams|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1389153133s/12220.jpg|142449] is a classic. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Williams gives such depth to each character. Characters are incredibly different and fit the time-appropriate archetype. Blanche and Stanley are a great juxtaposition, the primal nature of Stanley contrasting with Blanche's desire for beauty. Musical cues weaved into the scenes build tension and create an aura of dramatic intensity. The booming of trains in the distance makes the scene feel raw and completely exposed, it works well as a symbol for escape. Williams uses lots of these symbols and even settings like the bathroom moments to really keep the audience tense. A bit of a tragic story, though a good read. ( )
  teresamcg | Jan 13, 2015 |
this is well written and interesting, with a story that keeps you moving forward and a lot of layers to peel away. i've never read a play before that was sectioned only by scenes and not acts, so that was new for me, and i kind of liked it.

the themes that i found most interesting were fantasy/illusion vs reality and mental illness (and its relation to fantasy/illusion vs reality). it's also interesting to me that williams pits the two main characters against each other, neither of whom are likable, which (sort of) causes a reader to choose a side when neither side is a natural choice. (for me, blanche is a much more sympathetic character than stanley, as she is ruining herself and has experienced a great deal of suffering, whereas he is sometimes violent and predatory to others, and often rude and sexist. but that doesn't make blanche a character that many people would probably like. as i type that i realize that blanche, though, is also responsible to some degree for her young husband's suicide as well as what today would be sexual assault of her student, although probably wasn't as "serious" a situation in 1947.)

it's hard for me to believe that i'd never read this and had no knowledge of the story at all. i didn't expect that there would be a gay theme and i'm a little disappointed in his handling of sex (and maybe an underlying statement about being true to yourself?) but overall found this a quick but layered read and i'm glad i finally got to it. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jan 9, 2015 |
“Physical beauty is passing - a transitory possession - but beauty of the mind, richness of the spirit, tenderness of the heart - I have all these things - aren't taken away but grow! Increase with the years!”

When Blanche DuBois comes to stay with her sister Stella and her working class husband Stanley Kowalski she seems just an aristocrat who has fallen on hard times but it soon becomes clear that it is more about the battle between imagination and reality. Blanche is clothed in fading pastel dresses bedecked with costume jewellery refusing to give her true age or be seen in full light, covering a lamp with a paper shade and declining to go outside in daylight. She has had a number of passing sexual flings including being run out of town for having an affair with a 17 year old boy as she tries to cling onto her fading youth. Stanley in contrast is rooted in the present,physically handsome with a sort of animal magnetism, preferring beer,bowling and poker with his friends. He doesn't believe in Blanche's tales and it is he who unravels her past. They constantly clash culminating in Stanley's rape of Blanche.(The rape is not actually stated but is more implied as he throws her to the bed while the background music reaches a crescendo).Stella who has always stood up for Blanche refuses to believe in the rape sending Blanche into the final spiral of madness. It is also interesting that Stanley is of Polish extraction suggesting there is a transition in America from a society based on whites supremacy to a more multi-cultural one. Blanche represents the past whilst Stanley and his friends are the future.

There is another statement on American society and women's dependence on men. Blanche and Mitch are alone which draws them together despite being different but whilst Mitch loves Blanche she is more pragmatic believing that a union will cement her future. Similarly in the very first scene Stanley throws some Stella some meat much to her and her neighbour Eunice's amusement it is suggestive of both sexual dominance and the old male hunter gatherer stereotype.

I can see why it is regarded by many as a modern classic and studied fairly widely in schools and colleges.Overall this was a very enjoyable especially as it is not something that I would normally pick up. ( )
1 vote PilgrimJess | Dec 31, 2014 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

And so it was I entered the broken world
To trace the visionary company of love, its voice
An instant in the wind (I know not whither hurled)
But not for long to hold each desperate choice.
"The Broken Tower" by Hart Crane
The exterior of a two-storey corner building on a street in New Orleans which is named Elysian Fields and runs between the L&N tracks and the river.
Stanley [bottle in hand]: Have a shot?
Blanche: No, I – I rarely touch it.
Stanley: Some people rarely touch it, but it touches them often.

Stanley: I never met a woman that didn't know if she was good-looking or not without being told, and some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got.

Blanche: Whoever you are – I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche: Deliberate cruelty is not forgivable. It is the only unforgivable thing in my opinion and it is the one thing of which I have never, never been guilty.

Blanche: They told me to take a streetcar named Desire, and then transfer to one called Cemeteries and ride six blocks and get off at – Elysian Fields!
This work refers to separate editions of the play. Please do not combine with omnibus editions which contain other plays also, nor with any other version that does not contain the full original text (e.g. abridged or simplified texts, movie adaptations, the opera, student guides or notes, etc.).

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167783, Mass Market Paperback)

The story of Blanche DuBois and her last grasp at happiness, and of Stanley Kowalski, the one who destroyed her chance.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:36 -0400)

Blanche DuBois, a haggard and fragile southern beauty finds her pathetic last grasp at happiness cruelly destroyed in large part by her brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,111,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible