Catherine, called Birdy by Karen Cushman

Catherine, called Birdy (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Karen Cushman

Member:countrylife
Title:Catherine, called Birdy
Authors:Karen Cushman
Info:New York : Clarion Books, c1994.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read, Read 2012, {cover-member, E.ebook, T.medieval, P.England

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman (1994)

English (55)  Catalan (1)  All languages (56)
I'd heard good things about this book. Unfortunately the book didn't in my opinion, live up to the hype. A feminist tale transported to medieval times, but unfortunately it didn't travel well.
  sdunford | Aug 9, 2014 |
This was my favorite book when I was young. For years, it was just about the only book I would read independently. Reading it now I can see why I liked it so much. It’s so funny! It doesn’t hurt that the chapters/diary entries are short. And I love Birdy herself. She is spunky, creative and plucky.

I appreciate and understand so much more about this book as an adult. This is not a romanticized middle ages (though not every 14-year-old girl was fortunate to have her fat, middle-aged betrothed die before the wedding). There are fleas, dirt, and bad hygiene. Birdy has little to no control over her life. But this doesn’t prevent her from being a strong female character. She spends much of the book struggling against her lot in life. She cannot do what she wants, she cannot choose who she marries, but she realizes that she can control her attitude and how she lives the parts of life given to her. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | Jul 2, 2014 |
Newbery Honor. RGG: Enjoyable, well-written story about life during the Middle Ages in England told from the point of view of a teenage girl. Easier read.
  rgruberexcel | Mar 25, 2014 |
God's Thumbs! I was fairly certain that I had read this while I was younger, but I was not 100% until I read this phrase.

It's a short fun read that I need to put on my list to pass onto my children. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Fun YA novel about Birdy, who is 14 in the year 1290. She's suspiciously spunky and independent-minded for the time, but it's a good read nonetheless. Richly detailed, pretty funny, and finally, a Newbery Honor book that's not terribly sad. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Leah, Danielle, Megan, Molly, Pamela, and Tama, and to the imagination, hope and tenacity of all young women.
I am commanded to write an account of my days: I am bit by fleas and plagued by family.

An English knight's daughter growing up in the Middle Ages keeps a diary as she struggles against her father's plans to marry her off to some wealthy boor.

"Corpus Bones! I utterly loathe my life."

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to arich man--any rich man, no matter how awful.

But by wit, trickery, and luck, Catherine manages to send several would-be husbands packing. Then a shaggy-bearded suitor from the north comes to call--by far the oldest, ugliest, most revolting suitor of them all.

Unfortunately, he is also the richest.

Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actually lose the battle against an ill-mannered, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?

Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to a rich man--any rich man, no mater how awful.
Unfortunately, he is also the richest.
Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actualy lose the battle against an ill-mannared, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?
Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:01 -0400)

The thirteen-year-old daughter of an English country knight keeps a journal in which she records the events of her life, particularly her longing for adventures beyond the usual role of women and her efforts to avoid being married off.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,153,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible