Catherine, called Birdy by Karen Cushman

Catherine, called Birdy (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Karen Cushman

Member:countrylife
Title:Catherine, called Birdy
Authors:Karen Cushman
Info:New York : Clarion Books, c1994.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read, Read 2012, {cover-member, E.ebook, T.medieval, P.England

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman (1994)

English (60)  Catalan (1)  All languages (61)
"Have you all your teeth?
Is your breath sweet or fowl?
Are you a good eater?
What color is your hair when it is clean?
How are your sewing and your bowels and your conversation?" ( )
  Yerk | Jun 9, 2016 |
I wish I had read Catherine, Called Birdy when I was Birdy's age - nearly 14 - because I would have been fascinated by all the revelations about life in a manor house in the late 13th century, and I also would have felt more optimistic about Birdy's future.
Reading it as an adult, I am less surprised by the details, and more aware of how many girls have faced the prospect of marriage at such a young age. Of how many girls still face such a prospect. It's not just something that's comfortably in the past.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed how spirited Birdy is, how determined she is to resist her parents' plans for her. Catherine, Called Birdy does an excellent job of capturing her world and her perspective of it, and the wavering experience of being caught between childhood and adulthood.

23rd day of September
There was a hanging in Riverford today. I am being punished for impudence again, so was not allowed to go. I am near fourteen and have never yet seen a hanging. My life is barren.
1 vote Herenya | Mar 29, 2016 |
3.5 stars. A good book, I can definitely see why it got the Newberry. It's one of the most compelling/engaging Newberry books I've read in a while, and I'd definitely recommend it to others, but it just didn't hit quite the right spot for me. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
Love, love, love. Even more than The Book of the Maidservant. Love.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Fun, juvenile (YA) literature. A year in diary form of a 13 year old daughter of a knight in 1290 England. She is quite a spirited youngster. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to Leah, Danielle, Megan, Molly, Pamela, and Tama, and to the imagination, hope and tenacity of all young women.
I am commanded to write an account of my days: I am bit by fleas and plagued by family.

An English knight's daughter growing up in the Middle Ages keeps a diary as she struggles against her father's plans to marry her off to some wealthy boor.

"Corpus Bones! I utterly loathe my life."

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to arich man--any rich man, no matter how awful.

But by wit, trickery, and luck, Catherine manages to send several would-be husbands packing. Then a shaggy-bearded suitor from the north comes to call--by far the oldest, ugliest, most revolting suitor of them all.

Unfortunately, he is also the richest.

Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actually lose the battle against an ill-mannered, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?

Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to a rich man--any rich man, no mater how awful.
Unfortunately, he is also the richest.
Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actualy lose the battle against an ill-mannared, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?
Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

The thirteen-year-old daughter of an English country knight keeps a journal in which she records the events of her life, particularly her longing for adventures beyond the usual role of women and her efforts to avoid being married off.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,716,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible