Catherine, called Birdy by Karen Cushman

Catherine, called Birdy (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Karen Cushman

2,994None1,904 (3.84)71
Member:countrylife
Title:Catherine, called Birdy
Authors:Karen Cushman
Info:New York : Clarion Books, c1994.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Read, Read 2012, {cover-member, E.ebook, T.medieval, P.England

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman (1994)

English (53)  Catalan (1)  All languages (54)
Newbery Honor. RGG: Enjoyable, well-written story about life during the Middle Ages in England told from the point of view of a teenage girl. Easier read.
  rgruberexcel | Mar 25, 2014 |
God's Thumbs! I was fairly certain that I had read this while I was younger, but I was not 100% until I read this phrase.

It's a short fun read that I need to put on my list to pass onto my children. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Fun YA novel about Birdy, who is 14 in the year 1290. She's suspiciously spunky and independent-minded for the time, but it's a good read nonetheless. Richly detailed, pretty funny, and finally, a Newbery Honor book that's not terribly sad. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Born to the upper class, although in the lower echelons, 14-year-old Catherine refuses to accept her lot in life in the England of 1290 - spinning, embroidery, manor care, and being married off to the highest bidder. Catherine has a mind for mischief, a tenderness for animals, and love for the village and villagers that surround her. Told through diary entries prompted by her favorite brother Edward, gone to be a monk, Catherine's story is both lively and heartbreaking as we see "Birdy" beat her wings against her gilded cage.

Jenny Sterlin narrates with vim and vigor that brings Cushman's historically detailed medieval England and colorful characters to vibrant life. Despite some of the achaic language which might not be familiar to young readers, Sterlin's narration always gets the gist across.

Listened to the Recorded Books CD edition. Previously read. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
Even though this book is for young adults/teens, I still found it very interesting to read in light of its youthful narrator.

I liked contrast of individuality verses community in the decision of marriage. ( )
  reckar | Feb 5, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to Leah, Danielle, Megan, Molly, Pamela, and Tama, and to the imagination, hope and tenacity of all young women.
I am commanded to write an account of my days: I am bit by fleas and plagued by family.

An English knight's daughter growing up in the Middle Ages keeps a diary as she struggles against her father's plans to marry her off to some wealthy boor.

"Corpus Bones! I utterly loathe my life."

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to arich man--any rich man, no matter how awful.

But by wit, trickery, and luck, Catherine manages to send several would-be husbands packing. Then a shaggy-bearded suitor from the north comes to call--by far the oldest, ugliest, most revolting suitor of them all.

Unfortunately, he is also the richest.

Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actually lose the battle against an ill-mannered, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?

Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

Catherine feels trapped. Her father is determined to marry her off to a rich man--any rich man, no mater how awful.
Unfortunately, he is also the richest.
Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actualy lose the battle against an ill-mannared, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?
Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:01 -0400)

The thirteen-year-old daughter of an English country knight keeps a journal in which she records the events of her life, particularly her longing for adventures beyond the usual role of women and her efforts to avoid being married off.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible