Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I Wish I Had Freckles Like Abby (I Wish…

I Wish I Had Freckles Like Abby (I Wish (Raven Tree Press))

by Kathryn Heling

A fun story of two friends, one with freckles one with out. The creative way she makes freckles on herself. Great illustrations.
  Kelly16 | Feb 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While the protagonist wishes for freckles like Abby, I was wishing for a more exciting picture book. Throughout the book freckles get splattered and painted on the protagonist in creative ways as she attempts to be like her friend.
The pleasure of this book comes not from its story, or its delightful illustrations, but from the opportunity to learn a little Spanish (or English) as you read along. Each page offers text first in English and then in Spanish. The repetition of the word freckles on every page allows the reader an anchor into the language that they are not familiar with. It also quickly illustrates the different structure of the languages, with freckles/pecas appearing at different points in the sentences, as is appropriate for each language.
The cuteness of the story and the simplicity of its ending, Abby wants to have glasses just like the protagonist, limits the audience to Kindergarten through grade 3. Children above the age of 9 might be bored with the simple story and miss an opportunity to learn about a foreign language. ( )
  HockeyLibrarian | Mar 17, 2011 |

How far will Abby go to be just like Rosa? Best friends like to be like each other, that is natural. Kids are reminded to like themselves just the way they are. Humorous situations and outlandish schemes bring us to the important message of strong self concept and self esteem. This friendship is brought to life through soft watercolor illustrations. Animated expressions and funny details capture the many moods of their enthusiastic yearning and invention. Companion book to I Wish I Had Glasses Like Rosa / Quisiera tener lentes como Rosa ISBN 0-9724973-7-4 HC / ISBN 0-9770906-5-5 PB

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:33 -0400)

Rosa goes to elaborate and comical lengths to have freckles like Abby. She realizes she might have something that is just as desirable as the longed-for freckles. Rosa gains appreciation of her own uniqueness.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kathryn Heling's book I Wish I Had Freckles Like Abby was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible