Noidan veli by Diana Wynne Jones
Member:laura_88
Title:Noidan veli
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones
Other authors:Marikki Makkonen (KääNt.)
Info:Helsinki WSOY 2010.
Collections:Your library, Luetut
Rating:***

Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (1977)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The roles of Chrestomanci and Abhorsen are similar- magicians who police the use of magic. Both books feature their protagonists growing into these roles.
    Magic Below Stairs by Caroline Stevermer (foggidawn)
    Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee (Aquila)

English (43)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
This proto-Harry-Potter novel is a little listless, but overall fun and inventive.

Cat’s older sister, Gwendolen, is an up-and-coming witch, and he follows along when she goes to learn magic from the renowned magician, Chrestomanci. Unfortunately, Gwendolen is an attention-hungry brat. Out of brotherly devotion, Cat has to go along with and cover up for her schemes.

Cat’s a bit of a cipher, but his sister makes him a sympathetic character in three different ways. I liked him because:

He was single-mindedly devoted to a family member
His devotion to his family member was not reciprocated
His sister treated everyone so awfully that, when Cat acted decently toward them, it seemed like an act of heroism by comparison

However, I got a little impatient with the story because I wasn’t sure what it was supposed to be about. Cat never really has any motivation of his own, so I thought he was just going to be the camera through which we saw Gwendolen’s story. But halfway through the novel that theory of mine was destroyed, and I wasn’t quite sure what to latch on to next.

Within the last fifty pages, I finally did find out what the real story was, but I wish the real story had been hinted at a little more strongly earlier on. ( )
  CarsonKicklighter | Jan 26, 2015 |
It's a good read, a story of a boy who lives in the shadow of his sister and whose life changes when they end up in the Castle of Chrestomanci and then he discovers the truth about his sister and her ambitions.

It's an interesting read, something on that borderline between fantasy and reality with characters who work well and things that would have resolved quicker if everyone would have just talked to each other! And characters who point this out too.

Great read, love the story, there are layers here that would reward re-reading. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 23, 2014 |
Read it if you like Harry Potter, Narnia, King Arthur, or any other fantastical stories enjoyed by adults and children alike. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
What a lovely read! DWJ never ceases to amaze me with her convoluted plots. It’s a coming of age story for a little boy who thinks he possesses no magical skills, but all I’ll say is beware of older sisters! And just when you think you’ve got the plot figured out, something completely unexpected happens that throws all your suppositions out the window—or out the doorway into one of DWJ’s other worlds. She is definitely the master of the Twisty Plot. This is the first in her Chrestomanci series, and I am so looking forward to reading the other books. ( )
  jennorthcoast | Jul 15, 2014 |
Good heavens, did I enjoy this. One of THE most aggravating baddies I've ever encountered, a plucky young anti-heroine, and Cat. Who wouldn't feel sorry for Cat? This is, more than anything, the story of how Cat decides to reclaim his power - literally - and be in charge of his own life. It's a grand thing for a young person to be able to do, and Diana Wynne Jones writes it beautifully. This is good YA fantasy that I'm happy to have discovered, and I can't wait to read more. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | Mar 23, 2014 |

Diana Wynne Jonesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
IonicusCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Makkonen, MarikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Claire, Nicholas and Frances
Cat Chant admired his elder sister Gwendolen. She was a witch. He admired her and he clung to her. Great changes came about in their lives and left him no one else to cling to.

Orphans, one spiteful,
one open-hearted, effect
magic, then mayhem!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0688155464, Mass Market Paperback)

Cat doesn''t mind living in the shadow of his sister, Gwendoleen, the most promising witch on Coven Stree t. But trouble starts when the two of them are summoned to l ive in Chrestomanci Castle. '

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:28 -0400)

Gwendolen Chant and her brother Cat find the Chrestomancie Castle family's magic powers difficult to counter with the inferior powers of the Coven Street witches.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,892,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible