Summer Cannibals by Melanie Hobson

by Melanie Hobson
2018
Black Cat
4.3 / 5.0

Wow. I loved this very dark, but enthralling story. Its fucked up but that's why I loved it. This is a story of a wealthy family and the secrets they can't seem to their perverse and abusive tendencies.
David and Maria Blackford have a home in a rural area surrounded by a beautifully tended garden. They give guided tours of their gardens, which David leads. When a tour bus breaks down and the tourists start roaming his garden unattended he becomes irate. When he and his wife see two tourisrs of them making out, he becomes obsessed with the woman and loses it. Margaret finds the woman passed out in the attic, and locks her in as a gift for her husband's sexual deviancy.It sets him on a cycle of chaos he has no control over...and Margaret is glad to comply....
This was hard....fucked up but so good. Gibson has a talent of sharing all we fear and all we covet in the ones we love. ( )
  over.the.edge | Jul 25, 2019 |
If I had to label Summer Cannibals, I would probably classify it as a family drama about a family in crisis. David and Margaret Blackford's mansion is on the shores of Lake Ontario. They have summoned their three adult daughters (George, Jax, Pippa) to spend a four day weekend at their family home. Each daughter comes with her own emotional baggage, which is nothing compared to the parents' outlook on life. The word cannibal very well describes these people. It was difficult to spend time reading about such an unlikeable, intense, unpleasant family. Each member seems to have little regard for the others. The development of the plot is slow and becomes more and more unrealistic. However, Melanie Hobson writes beautifully: her prose is descriptive and poetic. The cover is a work of art. This is a first novel for Melanie Hobson and I look forward to reading future books by her.Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  carole888fort | Sep 2, 2018 |

Summoned to their magnificent family home on the shores of Lake Ontario--a paradisiacal mansion perched on an escarpment above the city--three adult sisters Georgina, Jax, and Pippa, come together in what seems like an act of family solidarity. Pregnant and unwell, the youngest, Pippa, has left her husband and four young children in New Zealand and returned home to heal. But home to this family means secrets, desire, and vengeance--and feasting on the sexual appetites and weaknesses of others. Each daughter has her own particular taste, and overlaying everything is their parents, with unquenchable desires and cravings of their own. As the affluent family endures six intense days in one another's company, old fissures reappear. When long-buried truths finally come to light, the sisters and their parents must face the unthinkable consequences of their actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,396,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible