Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

Dragon Rider (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:sahilisawesome
Title:Dragon Rider
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2004), Hardcover, 528 pages

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke (1997)

adventure (83) audio (17) chapter book (16) children (48) children's (84) children's fantasy (12) children's fiction (19) children's literature (32) Cornelia Funke (20) dragon (36) dragons (248) fantasy (553) fiction (205) Funke (13) German (16) hardcover (19) juvenile (27) juvenile fiction (13) kids (17) magic (34) novel (17) own (18) quest (15) read (25) sff (12) to-read (38) unread (27) YA (50) young adult (69) youth (14)

English (67)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (74)
dies ist für die Originalversion auf deutsch:

das Buch war ein abendliches Vorleseprojekt und hat dafür richtig gut funktioniert.

liebevolle Figuren und wie ich finde ein angenehmer Humor. ( )
  maj_bootred | Jan 17, 2014 |
When humans threaten to flood the valley where a group of dragons live, a young dragon named Firedrake seeks refuge in a place called The Rim of Heaven. He sets out on his quest to find it with his brownie friend Sorrel, and picks up a human boy named Ben along the way. With the three of them, they make good time in their journey to the Himalayas. What they don't realize is that they are being closely followed by "The Golden One", an evil dragon that is determined to kill all other silver dragons.

Dragonrider by Cornelia Funke is a lovely fantasy book filled with all sorts of different magical creatures. It's definitely a good read if you enjoy dragons and adventure books. ( )
  andrea1895 | Nov 1, 2013 |
Another enchanting story from my favourite German author. "Dragon Rider" was published some time before "Inkheart" and "The Thieflord" but is still an utterly delightful read. A good one for anyone 8 that believes in dragons and likes a chunky adventure story. One thing a lot of reviewers point out is that the villains are all bluster but don't actually do that much that is terrible, and I kinda like it. They seem quite frightful and evil, without actually having to ruthlessly kill anyone. It gives it a more fable-like quality and probably makes it more suitable for the younger readers - and they do still come across as quite menacing.

"The Dragon Rider" starts in modern day Scotland, where a small group of dragons hide in a valley, far from human eyes. But they can't stay hidden for long - because the humans plan to flood the valley. Thus a brave young dragon called Firedrake sets out on a quest with his small furry pixie friend, Sorrel. The quest is to find the "Rim of Heaven" a dragon refuge which seems to be high in the Himalayas. Along the way Firedrake and Sorrel befriend a young human orphan, Ben, and he proves an invaluable ally as they make the long journey across the continent, braving storms and meeting up with a wide range of characters, both friendly and sinister. One such creature is the fearsome Nettlebrand, a great beast and enemy of dragon-kin who would love to find where the silver dragons he hunts have hidden themselves.

A story about friendship, courage and the true meaning of "home". ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
One of our customers told me that she loved Brendan Fraser because he is "easy on the eyes". Forget that! He is incredibly talented as a narrator. His range of voices for this large cast of imaginary characters was phenomenal. Great narrator, great story. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Picked this up again when I found it on my bedside table, read a couple more chapters, then skimmed the rest. Not up to the level of some of the author's other works. Perhaps this was an earlier one? The plot meandered all over the place, the characters weren't very sympathetic, and I got to the point where I didn't really care who survived; not a good sign!

____________
I left this in Oregon when I was only a little way into it, and I think I'm ok with that. I'll finish it over the holidays and don't think I'll be poorer for the wait. Fun, but simplistic. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

Cornelia Funkeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, BrendanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Uwe Weitendorf
All was still in the valley of the dragons.
ISBN 0439543428 is not for a book by Anne McCaffrey; this is a novel by Cornelia Funke.
Original German title is "Drachenreiter".

Firedrake is a dragon living on an island that will soon be taken over by humans. He sets off on a journey along with his friend a brownie to find a place where he and all the other dragons can go. Throughout their journey they become friends with a homeless boy from the city. Together they work towards finding a new home and destroying a even greater threat then the humans.

This book really got me into reading larger books. I read this in middle school and it was the thickest book I had ever read. It quickly became one of my favorites. I like most things written by Cornelia Funke.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439456959, Hardcover)

It's a fantasy, it's long, and it's got dragons in it. Dragon Rider is bound to be another hit book from Cornelia Funke! Ever since the popularity of bestselling fantasies The Thief Lord and Inkheart went global a few years ago, legions of fans have demanded more books from the German author than she can reasonably hope to write each year. So, re-discovering this hefty, earlier novel from 1997 was a logical development--and her keenest readers will devour it as before.

Aimed at slightly younger readers than her previous novels, despite its massive five hundred pages, Dragon Rider is about a brave young dragon called Firedrake who embarks upon a dangerous journey to the Rim of Heaven in the Himalayas--a magical place where silver dragons can rest easy, free from the threat of destruction by mankind and their only hope of sanctuary. The key to its location is a map rendered by a rat who is a master cartographer.

Firedrake is joined on his quest by Ben, an orphaned boy, and Sorrell--a wise-cracking Brownie that is an odd, but ingenious, grumpy kind of fairy. Their journey is not a straightforward one by any means. Created by an alchemist called Petrosius Henbane in 1424, Nettlebrand (a malevolent creature covered in impenetrable gold plates) is their biggest threat--he is intent on destroying them. Nettlebrand is aided by Twigleg, a homunculus who has stowed away in Ben's bag and who is feeding reports on their progress back to his master.

Their exciting encounters are many... It is easy to forgive the narrative's excessive length when readers are gorging on such a wonderfully inventive and readable story from an author who has her readers in the palm of her hand on every page. (Age 9 and over) --John McLay

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:27 -0400)

After learning that humans are headed toward his hidden home, Firedrake, a silver dragon, is joined by a brownie and an orphan boy in a quest to find the legendary valley known as the Rim of Heaven, encountering friendly and unfriendly creatures along the way, and struggling to evade the relentless pursuit of an old enemy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible