Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

Waiting for Godot (1952)

by Samuel Beckett

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (guyalice)
    guyalice: Stoppard's play's been called "Waiting for Hamlet," as both are existentialist plays featuring a pair of clueless (yet tragic) idiots.
    Rhinoceros by Eugène Ionesco (interference)
    interference: Ebenfalls ein Klassiker des Absurden Theaters.
    Incidences by Daniil Kharms (ateolf)
    The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe (christiguc)
    Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel (Othemts)

English (106)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (1)  All (116)
I admit to not having a full understanding. As a matter of fact, I read several reviews on Amazon hoping for enlightenment. Not much help there.

While some of the stark symbology would seem to evoke Christ, I wouldn't want to go out on a [metaphoric] limb.

The tree symbolizes the passing of time. In the first act it was leafless. In the second, it has leaves.

All four characters wear bowlers, which they seemingly exchanged for no apparent reason. Could this be somehow representative of Christ's crown of thorns?

The same for the boots. They didn't fit, they fit, they didn't fit... were spikes driven through Didi's feet? I'm probably reaching.

The men could not not wait for Godot. But neither, in their frustrated nihilistic existence, commit suicide. In our hearing they tried twice. I think we must assume they will unsuccessfully try again and again...

Reading the some of the other review convinced me that I must see a stage production. ( )
  kaulsu | Jun 12, 2017 |
My favourite bit is when Godot arrives unexpectedly through the French doors and catches Estragon with his trousers down. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |

Waiting for Godot in Antarctica

An audience gathers to preview a screening of a new version of this Samuel Beckett play. The directed striped his rendition down to bare existential black and white by filming in Antarctica and using penguins as actors. The problem of dialogue is solved by the technique of voice-over.

In the first act, two penguins stand on bleak, snow-covered ice. There’s a close up of one penguin. The voice-over says, “Nothing to be done.”

The camera slowly scans to the other penguin who waddles next to the first. His voice-over begins, “I’m beginning to come round to that opinion.”

The play continues in this manner. Occasionally, the two penguins rock back and forth in their stark, empty white world. When in the middle of the second act, a third penguin approaches, the two penguins waddle awkwardly to an icy hill and then toboggan on their stomachs down the hill and into the water.

After a soul-searching monologue, the third penguin also toboggans down the hill into the water. At the end of the play the two original penguins rock back and forth. One penguin says, “Well, shall we go swimming again?

The other penguin replies, “Yes, let’s go.”

But the penguins do not move.
  GlennRussell | Feb 16, 2017 |
pretty entertaining way of saying nothing and everything all in one ( )
1 vote ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
pretty entertaining way of saying nothing and everything all in one ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Eriksson, Lill-IngerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuhlman, RoyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouředník, PatrikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenfeld, EricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estragon, sitting on a low mound, is trying to take off his boot. He pulls at it with both hands, panting. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again. As before. Enter Vladimir
ESTRAGON: (giving up again) Nothing to be done.
"Don't talk to me. Don't speak to me. Stay with me."
ESTRAGON: Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!
ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?
VLADIMIR: [Distinctly.] We got rid of them.
VLADIMIR: That passed the time.
ESTRAGON: It would have passed in any case.
VLADIMIR: Yes, but not so rapidly.
VLADIMIR: Moron!
ESTRAGON: Vermin!
VLADIMIR: Abortion!
ESTRAGON: Morpion!
VLADIMIR: Sewer-rat!
ESTRAGON: Curate!
VLADIMIR: Cretin!
ESTRAGON: [With finality.] Crritic!
VLADIMIR: Oh!

"Non c'è da meravigliarsi che, uscendo dal teatro, la gente si chieda cosa diavolo ha visto. In casi come questo si finisce sempre per attribuire all'autore un preciso disegno simbolico, e si rigira il testo pezzo per pezzo, battuta per battuta, cercando di ricostruire il puzzle. Si ha l'impressione che Beckett, a casa sua, stia ridendo malignamente alle nostre spalle, mentre con una semplice intervista alla televisione potrebbe chiarire ogni cosa. Diremmo subito che, a nostro parere, pretendere a tutti i costi questo "sesamo apriti" non ha senso. Stabilire se Godot è Dio, la Felicità, o altro, ha poca importanza; vedere se in Vladimiro ed Estragone la piccola borghesia che se ne lava le mani, mentre Pozzo, il capitalista, sfrutta bestialmente Lucky, il proletariato, è perfettamente legittimo, ma altrettanto legittima è la "chiave" cristiana, per cui tutto, dall'albero che si trova sulla scena, e che dovrebbe rappresentare la Croce, alla barba bianca di Godot, si può spiegare Vangelo alla mano".
(piopas)

A seminal work of twentieth-century drama, Waiting for Godot was Samuel Beckett’s first professionally produced play. It opened in Paris in 1953 at the tiny Left Bank Theatre de Babylone, and has since become a cornerstone of twentieth-century theater.

The story line revolves around two seemingly homeless men waiting for someone—or something—named Godot. Vladimir and Estragon wait near a tree on a barren stretch of road, inhabiting a drama spun from their own consciousness. The result is a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes, and nonsense, which has been interpreted as a somber summation of mankind’s inexhaustible search for meaning. Beckett’s language pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existentialism of post-World War II Europe. His play remains one of the most magical and beautiful allegories of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

Two old tramps wait on a bare stretch of road near a tree for Godot.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible