Waiting for Godot: a tragicomedy in two acts…

Waiting for Godot: a tragicomedy in two acts (original 1952; edition 1988)

by Samuel Beckett

Member:studysociety
Title:Waiting for Godot: a tragicomedy in two acts
Authors:Samuel Beckett
Info:London, Faber & Faber, 1988

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (1952)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (guyalice)
    guyalice: Stoppard's play's been called "Waiting for Hamlet," as both are existentialist plays featuring a pair of clueless (yet tragic) idiots.
    Incidences by Daniil Kharms (ateolf)
    Rhinoceros by Eugène Ionesco (interference)
    interference: Ebenfalls ein Klassiker des Absurden Theaters.
    The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe (christiguc)
    Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel (Othemts)

English (97)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (107)
Decent. I found that this absurdist play was difficult to get into because of it's genre. I guess you have to be careful to not read too into it the first time you encounter it, but I was certainly reading between the lines because I really couldn't help it. I found the relationship the two 'bums' shared to be homoerotic and their relationship to Godot as one to a leader, not a god. A lawyer or a lawmaker, a preacher or a prophet. Maybe their son? It doesn't even really matter since it's all absurd anyway. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
I finally listened to this famous play by Samuel Beckett. It had been on my radar forever, and it was just a couple of hours long and so I did it. Then I went and read the wikipedia page, to try and figure out what I had listened to. It seems nobody really knows what it's about, nor did the author when he wrote it. Gotta love existentialists. At least I had some idea of what I was getting into, so wasn't exactly terribly surprised by the absurdism. Now I have 1952 covered for my "Century of Books" challenge (reading a book from each year of the 20th century), at least, but I doubt you could make me sit through that play anytime soon. ( )
  Smiler69 | May 28, 2016 |
Story is like doing laundry. Watching the drier go round. Knowing it will happen again next week.

Supposedly means 'Waiting for God." They wait and wait.

Hey maybe i have this confused with No Exit by Sartre. By gum i do. Existentialism is dull. ( )
1 vote Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
I love this play. I teach it every year and it never gets boring. My students and I never come to the same conclusion of the story, and my conclusion changes all the time. ( )
  caseybp | Jan 19, 2016 |
It's very different reading this play when you're 15 as compared to when you're 50. In my high school drama class, we loved doing scenes from Godot because it was absurd, but I doubt very much we understood the show's complexity. It features existential banter and dark comedic turns. I think all I got out of it was that the characters were stuck and petulant and clownish. But now at 50 I am starting to get the subtleties that went completely over my head at 15. Plus, I recently saw an excellent production of it which, of course, brought the characters to life. ( )
  louis.arata | Jul 31, 2015 |

Eriksson, Göran O.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eriksson, Lill-IngerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouředník, PatrikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenfeld, EricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estragon, sitting on a low mound, is trying to take off his boot. He pulls at it with both hands, panting. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again. As before. Enter Vladimir
ESTRAGON: (giving up again) Nothing to be done.
"Don't talk to me. Don't speak to me. Stay with me."
ESTRAGON: Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!
ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?
VLADIMIR: [Distinctly.] We got rid of them.
VLADIMIR: That passed the time.
ESTRAGON: It would have passed in any case.
VLADIMIR: Yes, but not so rapidly.
VLADIMIR: Moron!
ESTRAGON: Vermin!
VLADIMIR: Abortion!
ESTRAGON: Morpion!
VLADIMIR: Sewer-rat!
ESTRAGON: Curate!
VLADIMIR: Cretin!
ESTRAGON: [With finality.] Crritic!
VLADIMIR: Oh!

A seminal work of twentieth-century drama, Waiting for Godot was Samuel Beckett’s first professionally produced play. It opened in Paris in 1953 at the tiny Left Bank Theatre de Babylone, and has since become a cornerstone of twentieth-century theater.

The story line revolves around two seemingly homeless men waiting for someone—or something—named Godot. Vladimir and Estragon wait near a tree on a barren stretch of road, inhabiting a drama spun from their own consciousness. The result is a comical wordplay of poetry, dreamscapes, and nonsense, which has been interpreted as a somber summation of mankind’s inexhaustible search for meaning. Beckett’s language pioneered an expressionistic minimalism that captured the existentialism of post-World War II Europe. His play remains one of the most magical and beautiful allegories of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

Two old tramps wait on a bare stretch of road near a tree for Godot.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,716,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible