Waiting for Godot : tragicomedy in 2 acts by…

Waiting for Godot : tragicomedy in 2 acts (original 1953; edition 1982)

by Samuel Beckett

Two old tramps wait on a bare stretch of road near a tree for Godot.
Member:jxn
Title:Waiting for Godot : tragicomedy in 2 acts
Authors:Samuel Beckett
Info:New York : Grove Press, c1982.

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (1953)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (guyalice)
    guyalice: Stoppard's play's been called "Waiting for Hamlet," as both are existentialist plays featuring a pair of clueless (yet tragic) idiots.
    Rhinoceros by Eugène Ionesco (interference)
    interference: Ebenfalls ein Klassiker des Absurden Theaters.
    Incidences by Daniil Charms (ateolf)
    The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe (christiguc)
    Seven Plays by Sam Shepard (SandraArdnas)
    Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel (Othemts)

English (115)  French (6)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (126)
Enthralled by the first production I saw at a small theater in LA; and a more upscale production in San Diego. Also on TV. Another live production in NY upstate?
Amazing that he could conceive of this for the stage: plotless, two tramps by a tree.
  mkelly | Jan 12, 2020 |
Read this in high school and didn't enjoy it- but reread now and can see a lot I didn't understand or relate to back then. Worth the reread for sure. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
Waiting For Godot is pitched on the cover as a Tragicomedy in two acts. It is charming and ridiculous at times and depressing and relatable in others. It is also relatively short.

The plot of Waiting For Godot is very simple; two men named Estragon and Vladimir are waiting for a man named Godot. It seems that they do this every day. They stand by a tree and wait for Godot, a gentleman who seems to be very important and esteemed. So the first act introduces the characters of Vladimir, Estragon, Pozzo, Lucky, and an unnamed Boy. Vladimir and Estragon discuss the waiting, the tree in the scene, how they would like to be hung from the tree and die, and so on. Eventually Pozzo and Lucky come in. They have a master-slave relationship and if I really put on my thinking cap I could make all sorts of connections. Lucky was a scholar of sorts and Pozzo is a brute of a man who beats Lucky mercilessly. Lucky recites some random unconnected gobbledygook and eventually leaves along with Pozzo. The Boy comes along to deliver a message: Godot is not coming, he will be coming tomorrow. So Vladimir and Estragon agree to meet tomorrow. End Act One.

The curtain opens on the same scene. The problem is that there doesn’t seem to be any continuity of time in this portion of the play. Vladimir and Estragon are still around, they still discuss existence, they still wait for Godot. Vladimir seems unstuck in reality. He seems to be uncertain of the passage of time. The props and scenery are still the same from the end of Act One, but from what I gather, it seems to be many many years later. The Bowler hat that Lucky threw down is still there, the boots that Estragon left are still there, but they seem to have been exposed to the elements. It is not really clear from what the play says. Then Lucky and Pozzo enter and this is where it seems that plenty of time has passed. Lucky is now a mute and Pozzo is now blind. It has been this way for as long as Pozzo remembers since he can’t observe the passage of time. This throws Vladimir off a bit, but Estragon is asleep and doesn’t really notice. After Lucky and Pozzo leave, the same exact Boy comes around and gives the same message; Godot will not be coming today but he will be there tomorrow. Vladimir and Estragon both are left on stage, still waiting for Godot.

So now, it seems apparent that this play has some sort of hidden meaning that one must glean to fully appreciate it. What I can gather from this play is the meaninglessness of existence and the searching for that meaning in general. I enjoyed this play, but I would actually like to see a performance of it. Maybe it’ll be cool to see. My imagination can only take me so far. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
TBH, I may have given this a higher rating because I also saw the production and loved it. Also TBH, if you don't love absurdist writing, you're not going to like this ( )
  JennVelez | Feb 9, 2019 |

Waiting for Godot in Antarctica

An audience gathers to preview a screening of a new version of this Samuel Beckett play. The directed striped his rendition down to bare existential black and white by filming in Antarctica and using penguins as actors. The problem of dialogue is solved by the technique of voice-over.

In the first act, two penguins stand on bleak, snow-covered ice. There’s a close up of one penguin. The voice-over says, “Nothing to be done.”

The camera slowly scans to the other penguin who waddles next to the first. His voice-over begins, “I’m beginning to come round to that opinion.”

The play continues in this manner. Occasionally, the two penguins rock back and forth in their stark, empty white world. When in the middle of the second act, a third penguin approaches, the two penguins waddle awkwardly to an icy hill and then toboggan on their stomachs down the hill and into the water.

After a soul-searching monologue, the third penguin also toboggans down the hill into the water. At the end of the play the two original penguins rock back and forth. One penguin says, “Well, shall we go swimming again?

The other penguin replies, “Yes, let’s go.”

But the penguins do not move.
  Glenn_Russell | Nov 13, 2018 |

Kuhlman, RoyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouředník, PatrikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, TomIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenfeld, EricEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estragon, sitting on a low mound, is trying to take off his boot. He pulls at it with both hands, panting. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again. As before. Enter Vladimir
ESTRAGON: (giving up again) Nothing to be done.
"Don't talk to me. Don't speak to me. Stay with me."
ESTRAGON: Nothing happens, nobody comes, nobody goes, it's awful!
ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?
VLADIMIR: [Distinctly.] We got rid of them.
VLADIMIR: That passed the time.
ESTRAGON: It would have passed in any case.
VLADIMIR: Yes, but not so rapidly.
VLADIMIR: Moron!
ESTRAGON: Vermin!
VLADIMIR: Abortion!
ESTRAGON: Morpion!
VLADIMIR: Sewer-rat!
ESTRAGON: Curate!
VLADIMIR: Cretin!
ESTRAGON: [With finality.] Crritic!
VLADIMIR: Oh!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,792,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible