The Bone Doll's Twin (2001)

by Lynn Flewelling

Series: Tamir Triad (1)

The first volume of a thrilling fantasy adventure trilogy filled with necromancy and bone-chilling magic from the bestselling US author of the Nightrunner series. Long ago, during the dark days of the Great War with Pleinmar, King Thelatimos journeyed to the Oracle of the God Illior at Afra to save his warn-torn kingdom. Here he was presented with a prophecy 'So long as a daughter of Thelatimos's line defends and rules, Skala shall never be subjugated.' And that is how the line of queens ruling over Skala was established... However, as generations went by the male heirs to the throne became intensely resentful of the prophecy that emasculated their claim to power. Finally Queen Agnalain took the throne and the people of Skala suffered under her erratic and selfish command. Prompted by the people's outcry over this mad queen, her son Prince Erius claimed primogeniture, and seized the throne. Erius's ascent may have pleased the people of Skala, but a faction of the population, one who had not forgotten the prophecy, were worried. Plague, drought and famine spread throughout the kingdom weakening it's defences and offering easy pickings to Skala's old enemy and neighbour, Plenimar. As people start to recall the Oracle's prophecy, Erius begins to quietly kill of his female relatives who pose the only threat to his monarchy. Constantly in fear for her life, Princess Ariani the King's sister, gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. But Ariani is married to Lord Rhius, the patron of the powerful wizard Iya, and Iya has sinister plans for the babes...… (more)

English (37)  French (1)  All languages (38)
Consider this to be a review of the three book series, as each book is fantastic, stands on its own, and seriously builds both world and story. Some really grim stuff in here, but absolutely worth every word. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
This was a very dark book. I read it some years ago and never read the sequels. It was very well written and I liked it alot-but it was dark and somewhat disturbing ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Flewelling is a great writer, and her Nightrunner series is among my favorites of fantasy series.
However, great writing aside, I just didn't love this novel.
The story wasn't bad, and is in fact, very unique which is always a major plus in a genre riddled with so much of the same.
My biggest issue with the book was that there just wasn't enough that happened. The opening moments started off strong, and seemed to build quickly, drawing me in. Then, the momentum ended and for the entirety of the rest of the book, save the final 2 chapters, nothing really happened.
The strength of this of course, is that presumably the author would be able to really dive in and flesh out the characters so much more, yet, beyond Tobin and Ki, I didn't feel that really happened. I wanted to learn so much more about Iya, Arkoniel and Tharin, and despite them being prominent throughout, they felt a little flat, and underdeveloped. There were so many chapters for Tobin, and hardly any for Iya and Arkoniel as they traveled, which felt like such a miss for me.
The other aspect of the story that I didn't feel right about was why Tobin was left so alone during his development knowing the huge fate and task he had ahead of him. It made no sense to me why the wizard's would do what they did, and then just abandon the whole thing. Without giving any spoilers, this aspect of the story simply didn't add up to me.
As mentioned, I do love Flewelling's writing, and that helped to save the story in some manner, and keep me invested.
This wasn't a bad novel by any means, just not a great one. There was enough in the pages and story to make interested in where it goes, and make me want to continue reading the series. My only hope is that now that some things have unfolded, there will be much more in the way of story progression. ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Feb 18, 2019 |
Leisurely paced story of the childhood of the rightful heir to the throne of Skala which by divine decree was ruled by queens until the heir uncle usurped the throne. Spelled by blood magic requiring the death of her twin brother to change her form to his, Tobin grows up isolated and surrounded by secrets.
The author does a decent job of making the material hers, but spends lots of time on tropes not new enough or rich enough to bear the weight gracefully. A better story for someone who hasn't spent 60 years reading about lost or hidden heirs and cross gender disguises simple and magical. ( )
  quondame | Jan 15, 2019 |
Excellent, compelling story. Complex characters. Surprised me in several places, and I bought the second book of the series before I'd even stood up from finishing the first. ( )
  chelseaknits | Dec 14, 2017 |

Lynn Flewellingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matla, JetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For l.e. and the knapp kids up the magic staircase a long time ago
An old man looks back at me from my mirror now. Even among the other wizards here in Rhiminee, I'm a relic of forgotten times.
The 3-volume Tamir Triad was first published in French as 6 volumes.

The story begins with a wizard named Iya, who secretly assures her country will have a female of noble lineage who escapes the King's death sentence paranoia by arranging forbidden magic to hide the girl from even herself until the proper time. Prophecy says the country will always prosper, as long as a Queen sits on the throne, and the King is feeling the pinch of famine and impending war. The Bone Doll's Twin ranges from the child's view all the way up to the bigger picture of intrigue and nations, complete with magic and swordfights.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,963,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible