A Passage to India by E. M. Forster

A Passage to India (original 1924; edition 1999)

by E. M. Forster

Member:NAcker24
Title:A Passage to India
Authors:E. M. Forster
Info:Amereon Ltd (1999), Hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Classics, British Lit, College

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (1924)

The Raj Quartet, Volume 1: The Jewel in the Crown; The Day of the Scorpion by Paul Scott (FemmeNoiresque)
    FemmeNoiresque: Scott's The Raj Quartet, and particularly the relationship between Daphne Manners and Hari Kumar in the first novel, The Jewel In The Crown, is a revisioning of the charge of rape made by Adela Quested to Dr Aziz. Race, class and empire are explored in the aftermath of this event, in WWII India.… (more)
    Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Same author, different setting, same core themes
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: You could use the theme of colonialism to pair The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver with Passage to India by E. M. Forster.
    Maurice by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: The man is brilliant! One should read all of his books!
    The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: These two novels bear close relationship in setting and circumstance.
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (Booksloth)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (WildMaggie)
    Staying On by Paul Scott (KayCliff)
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (kiwiflowa)
    Slowly Down the Ganges by Eric Newby (John_Vaughan)
    Hindoo Holiday: An Indian Journal by J. R. Ackerley (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Jewel in the Crown [1984 TV Mini-Series] by Christopher Morahan (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Similar period and themes
1920s (3)
Unread books (1,039)

English (93)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (100)
Look in here. It's foreign. We just can't say how it got there. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Too character driven, too philosophical for my tastes. However, it is a great look at cultural prejudice, misunderstanding, and reconciliation, though that seemed forced for the sake of the story, so all could end well. I'm simply curious, skeptical maybe, of the possibility of what I read. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
As much as I love A Room With A View, I had a hard time enjoying this one. It starting out extremely slow (even for Forster) and wasn't all that interesting once it got into the plot. Maybe it is my unfamiliarity with India, but I didn't think this book had the impact that A Room With A View or Howard's End did. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Forster, E. M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Magadini, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, Scott RussellAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Syed Ross Masood and to the seventeen years of our friendship
Except for the Marabar caves--and they are twenty miles off--the city of Chrandrapore presents nothing extraordinary.
"We must exclude someone from our gathering, or we shall be left with nothing."

A mysterious incident at the Marabar caves, involving Adela Quested, newly arrived from England, and the presumed guilt of charming and mercurial Dr. Aziz, are at the centre of Forster's magnificent novel of India during the Raj. Topical now, as in 1924, in its evocation of the dangers and ambivalences inherent in colonialism, as Forster said, it is 'about something wider than politics, about the search of the human race for a more lasting home, about the universe as embodied in the Indian earth and the Indian sky, about the horror lurking in the Marabar caves...'

In this hard-hitting novel, first published in 1924, the murky personal relationship between an Englishwoman and an Indian doctor mirrors the troubled politics of colonialism. Adela Quested and her fellow British travelers, eager to experience the "real" India, develop a friendship with the urbane Dr. Aziz. While on a group outing, Adela and Dr. Aziz visit the Marabar caves together. As they emerge, Adela accuses the doctor of assaulting her. While Adela never actually claims she was raped, the decisions she makes ostracize her from both her countrymen and the natives, setting off a complex chain of events that forever changes the lives of all involved. This intense and moving story asks the listener serious questions about preconceptions regarding race, sex, religion, and truth. A political and philosophical masterpiece.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014144116X, 0143566385

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,032,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible