A Passage to India by E. M. Forster

A Passage to India (original 1924; edition 1999)

by E. M. Forster

Info:Amereon Ltd (1999), Hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Classics, British Lit, College

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (1924)

1001 (58) 1001 books (59) 1920s (50) 20th century (227) British (212) British Empire (46) British fiction (38) British literature (156) classic (235) classic fiction (38) classics (206) colonialism (200) E.M. Forster (44) England (52) English (81) English literature (159) fiction (1,321) Folio Society (35) Forster (37) historical fiction (52) India (648) Kindle (35) literature (264) modernism (43) novel (307) own (45) racism (47) read (99) to-read (127) unread (76)
    Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Same author, different setting, same core themes
    The Raj Quartet: The Jewel in the Crown, The Day of the Scorpion (Everyman's Library) by Paul Scott (FemmeNoiresque)
    FemmeNoiresque: Scott's The Raj Quartet, and particularly the relationship between Daphne Manners and Hari Kumar in the first novel, The Jewel In The Crown, is a revisioning of the charge of rape made by Adela Quested to Dr Aziz. Race, class and empire are explored in the aftermath of this event, in WWII India.… (more)
    Maurice by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: The man is brilliant! One should read all of his books!
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: You could use the theme of colonialism to pair The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver with Passage to India by E. M. Forster.
    The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: These two novels bear close relationship in setting and circumstance.
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (Booksloth)
    Staying On by Paul Scott (KayCliff)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (WildMaggie)
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (kiwiflowa)
    Slowly Down the Ganges by Eric Newby (John_Vaughan)
    Hindoo Holiday: An Indian Journal by J. R. Ackerley (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The jewel in the crown : the complete series ; contains 14 episodes over 4 discs by Christopher Morahan (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Similar period and themes

English (81)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (87)
This book is slow. Lots of description very little action. There is a deeper social commentary or race and religion. I listened to it on audio... I'm not sure I would have made it through just reading it. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This was the March selection of my book club. By some happy accident, the copy I read -- purchased years ago at a Friends of the Library sale -- was marked through, underlined, annotated, etc. for a literature class, which was a little distracting at first, and then helped me to appreciate literary themes and elements (the significance of repeated mentions of snakes, wasps, unity, the divine etc.) that I would otherwise have missed. Funny enough, my last read was Light in August, which I'm glad I read, but didn't particularly enjoy. I was filled with an irritation for the southern characters -- so backward! so racist! so religion-crazed! Lo and behold, another classic novel gripped by racial tension and conflict, this time perpetuated by the enlightened, secular, highly educated rulers of the British Raj of early 20th century India.

The first third of the book was hard to get into -- tedious, even, while the last two-thirds were unputdownable. The author describes misunderstandings, both willful and innocent, between English characters, and the native and English-educated Muslim and Hindu characters, with slights on both sides both immaterial and devastating. The story centers around a muslim doctor, Aziz, who befriends the English educator Cyril Fielding, and makes the acquaintance of two visiting British ladies, Miss Quested and Mrs. Moore. On an sightseeing excursion to the Marabar caves, Dr. Aziz is accused of assaulting Miss Quested in one of the caves. The ensuing uproar, trial, and resolution leave the entire community and all concerned individuals changed forever. I found it beautiful, thought-provoking, and infuriating at times. I wondered a lot about "the real India" -- as Miss Quested and Mrs. Moore did, though the "real" India is an undefinable, enigmatic entity utterly changed by the British and their rule -- and departure.
2 vote AMQS | Mar 15, 2014 |
E. M Forster was born in England in 1879 and died in 1970. As a child, he inherited enough money from his great aunt to travel and live as a writer after attending public school and King's College, Cambridge. His interest in writing was influenced at Cambridge by membership in a discussion society called the Apostles that included a number of intellectuals such as John Maynard Keynes and Ludwig Wittgenstein. Forster maintained a loose association with the group during the early 1910s and 1920s as it added members and became known as the Bloomsbury Group. The Group was composed of a variety of creative individuals including writers of fiction. Virginia Woolf was an active member. After leaving Cambridge, Forster traveled with his mother extensively in Europe where he developed ideas for subsequent novels including: A Room With A View, Where Angels Fear to Tread, and Howards End. For years, he maintained a privacy regarding his homosexual identity and behavior understanding that it would limit his freedom to publish his work.

In the early 1920s, Forster worked in India as the private secretary for a Maharaja during the period of the British Raj. The Raj was a time of occupation of India by British diplomats and soldiers who imposed some controlled structure on the economic and legal system of the largely disparate states within the Eastern country loosely ruled by a monarchy. After returning to London from India, Forster published A Passage to India in 1924 based on his experiences during the period when British influence was waning and an Indian Independence movement was developing.

The novel is an interesting character study involving structure opposed to substance, self-control over impulse, conformity versus individual freedom, restriction of thought rather than tolerance, and arbitrary racial discrimination limiting open enculturation. There are several characters described in stereotypical ways with representatives of the British ruling and middle classes in the Raj and Hindu, "Moslem", and royal leaders within Indian society. These descriptions set the stage for the interaction of four main characters that illustrate the complexity of two cultures seemingly unyielding in their Western versus Eastern world views.

In the novel the reader's attention is focused on the interactions and perceptions of four main characters: Dr. Aziz, Miss Adela Quested, Cyril Fielding, and Mrs. Moor:

Dr. Aziz is an Indian physician who works at a British hospital. He is a Muslim man strongly influenced by his religion but intellectually active in his beliefs and impulsive in his emotions and actions. He is tolerant of differences in cultures within his country and the strained relationship between Indians and the British. The tolerance, however is largely on the surface, and when his religious beliefs and secular freedom are threatened by the actions of the Raj, he is quick to feel strong resentment.

Adela Quested is a young British teacher who has traveled to India to see if she and a British magistrate are compatible for marriage. Like Dr. Aziz, Adela seems outwardly open and tolerant to new experiences. She wants to learn more about the exotic Eastern culture of India. The reader sees that she is actually intolerant and frightened but fancies herself an enlightened woman willing to step beyond the conventions of her British character. Adela regresses to her British comfort zone in a panic when confronted with the mysterious and unstructured life of India.

Cyril Fielding is a teacher at a small British college for Indian citizens. Now in his early middle age, the unmarried administrator has maintained his life of personal intellectual and emotional freedom by keeping a low profile within the British foreign service system and maintaining an open attitude about British and Indian tension during the Raj. He seems to be more willing to understand the cultural differences between West and East than Adela because he has maintained a personal code of ethics largely hidden from both the British and Indian people in the rural district. He is a clever individual who has assumed a role that conforms minimally to the expectations of each culture. He is insightful and aware that his surface behavior is accepted with reservations by both groups and is content to have independence in the deep structure of his personality. Although Fielding is not an avowed homosexual, the reader gains some interesting indications from the character of Forster's private life. Unlike the author, Fielding returns to England, marries a very British woman, and returns to India a more structured man but largely conflicted in his hidden personal identification.

Mrs. Moore is an elderly British widower who has accompanied Adela during the trip from England to India. She is the mother of the British magistrate that the younger woman has come to visit. Mrs. Moore is a lifelong British subject who has reached the endpoint of caring, having lived her life for her children with a feminine stiff upper lip. In somewhat delicate health, the trip has been a major sacrifice for Mrs. Moore, but she has done her escort duty. Because of her end of life situation and active life review, she is open to the spiritual aspect of Indian life that is so different from her British structured religious beliefs. Unlike Adela, Mrs. Moore is willing to open herself to Eastern thoughts and beliefs with a substantial lowering of psychological defenses. She seeks answers to the question, what is the meaning of her life of service to her family that cost of her own freedom and dignity? Specifically, when can she stop taking responsibility for others and come to some meaningful resolution of the doubts about her life decisions? When faced with negative conclusions during her life review, she embraces a delusion of a tolerable, structured life back in her British home.

I highly recommend this novel (Forster's last published work of fiction) for readers who want to examine their own depth of understanding of life and their tolerance of the lives of others in chaotic times. An interesting experience I had reading the novel was an illusive desire to live during the early decades of the 20th Century in India to see how I would react personally to a rapidly changing world perspective. Of course, parallel, dramatic cultural challenges exist in the U. S. today, but perhaps we are too close in time to the effects of them to develop the comprehensive point of view presented in A Passage to India. ( )
  GarySeverance | Mar 10, 2014 |

Date: 1924

Pages: 362

Modern Library: The Board’s List #25

Started: 14 October 2013

I was roaming the isles of my local Books-A-Million store and found this gem staring up at me from the bottom shelf. I purchased the paperback 75th Anniversary Edition. The book is divided into three sections. The first section is titled Mosque, the second is Caves, and the third is Temple.

I do not like this book, and in keeping with my philosophy of “life is too short to waste time reading a book I’m not into,” I bailed. For sixteen days I have tried to like this book. I’ve tried to look past the boring dialogue, and the fact that it’s hot in India (I think we all know that), and the stereotyping that is plainly stereotypical. I’ve tried, but I can’t. This book will go back on the shelf and there it will stay until someone asks to borrow it – and then I might even hope they never give it back to me.

I read the first section, and yes, it took half of a month of my life to do that! Here’s the basic breakdown ~ two British women called Adela and Mrs. Moore (Colonizers) travel to Chandrapore, India to get a taste the real India. There they try to mingle with the Colonizies (it’s painful) and soon meet Dr. Aziz and proceed to wreck his life. I just wanted to reach into this book and slap these women and the assholes they hangout with.

To be fair, I’m sure this book was relevant and impactful during its time. For me right now, I can’t bring myself to continue reading a story that I can’t connect with. The plot is thin, the story is tiring, and I so wish this “little gem” hadn’t made eye contact with me from the bottom shelf in that book store.

It’s here if you want to borrow it!

Finished: Never ( )
  BadCursive | Feb 9, 2014 |
desert and caves. meh. will you hate me if i call it overrated? ( )
  GeoffPettys | Jan 8, 2014 |

Forster, E. M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Syed Ross Masood and to the seventeen years of our friendship
Except for the Marabar caves--and they are twenty miles off--the city of Chrandrapore presents nothing extraordinary.
"We must exclude someone from our gathering, or we shall be left with nothing."

A mysterious incident at the Marabar caves, involving Adela Quested, newly arrived from England, and the presumed guilt of charming and mercurial Dr. Aziz, are at the centre of Forster's magnificent novel of India during the Raj. Topical now, as in 1924, in its evocation of the dangers and ambivalences inherent in colonialism, as Forster said, it is 'about something wider than politics, about the search of the human race for a more lasting home, about the universe as embodied in the Indian earth and the Indian sky, about the horror lurking in the Marabar caves...'

In this hard-hitting novel, first published in 1924, the murky personal relationship between an Englishwoman and an Indian doctor mirrors the troubled politics of colonialism. Adela Quested and her fellow British travelers, eager to experience the "real" India, develop a friendship with the urbane Dr. Aziz. While on a group outing, Adela and Dr. Aziz visit the Marabar caves together. As they emerge, Adela accuses the doctor of assaulting her. While Adela never actually claims she was raped, the decisions she makes ostracize her from both her countrymen and the natives, setting off a complex chain of events that forever changes the lives of all involved. This intense and moving story asks the listener serious questions about preconceptions regarding race, sex, religion, and truth. A political and philosophical masterpiece.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014144116X, 0143566385

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,498,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible