A Passage to India by E. M. Forster

A Passage to India (original 1924; edition 1999)

by E. M. Forster

Member:NAcker24
Title:A Passage to India
Authors:E. M. Forster
Info:Amereon Ltd (1999), Hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Classics, British Lit, College

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (1924)

The Raj Quartet, Volume 1: The Jewel in the Crown; The Day of the Scorpion by Paul Scott (FemmeNoiresque)
    FemmeNoiresque: Scott's The Raj Quartet, and particularly the relationship between Daphne Manners and Hari Kumar in the first novel, The Jewel In The Crown, is a revisioning of the charge of rape made by Adela Quested to Dr Aziz. Race, class and empire are explored in the aftermath of this event, in WWII India.… (more)
    Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Same author, different setting, same core themes
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: You could use the theme of colonialism to pair The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver with Passage to India by E. M. Forster.
    Maurice by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: The man is brilliant! One should read all of his books!
    The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: These two novels bear close relationship in setting and circumstance.
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (Booksloth)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (WildMaggie)
    Staying On by Paul Scott (KayCliff)
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (kiwiflowa)
    Slowly Down the Ganges by Eric Newby (John_Vaughan)
    Hindoo Holiday: An Indian Journal by J. R. Ackerley (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Jewel in the Crown [1984 TV Mini-Series] by Christopher Morahan (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Similar period and themes
1920s (3)
Unread books (1,023)

English (100)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (107)
A brilliant novel that stands well the test of time. And so perfectly descriptive I wish that I could actually visit the places that Forster creates in his imagination. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
I can't say I'm a Forster fanatic after reading A Passage to India but I did enjoy the writing and the questions the content brought up. Not just in a racism context but, in all honesty, a general-human context even more so. From race to religion, we're so quick to classify ourselves and others. Then to set ourselves apart from various classifications as if that somehow gives us worthiness. My main view of this book is that it's excellent in it's ability to show all the idiocy for what it is, misunderstandings and the mayhem that results. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
In Chandrapore, Dr. Aziz, a young Muslim widower, meets the elderly Mrs. Moore who has come to India with Adela Quested to arrange a marriage between her son, Ronny Heaslop and Adela. Aziz and Mrs. Moore form an immediate bond, for reasons that were not really clear to me. After several meetings, Aziz and his friends arrange to take the two women to visit the Malabar caves, although no one is really enthusiastic about the short trip. It is at the caves that an enigmatic event occurs which disrupts the lives of all parties.

India is a fascinating country and I thought that I would love this book, but I did not. I keep reading E. M. Forster books in the hope that I will find one that I don't think is rather slow going. I guess I am just not destined to be a great Forster fan. The plot was interesting (but with definitely dull parts) and the narrator of the audio book, Sam Dastor, made the book a lot more enjoyable for me.

India is a very complicated place and became even more complicated during the Raj with the presence of the arrogant and racist English. This book showed how difficult it would be to understand and navigate through the various religious, political, racial and caste differences. For that, and the narration, I give it 4 stars. ( )
  fhudnell | Jun 17, 2016 |
A Passage to India – E.M. Forster
3 stars

In the early 20th century, a young English woman (Adela Quested) travels to India with her prospective mother-in-law (Mrs. Moore), to meet her prospective husband. Both women express an interest in seeing the ‘real’ India. An overly enthusiastic, Muslim Indian physician (Dr. Assiz) tries to befriend and entertain the pair of women. Everyone has the best of intentions, for a while. Cultural ignorance, emotional turmoil, and sexual repression conspire to create an explosively racial incident out of a small misunderstanding.

Three words dominate my impressions of this book: ambiguity, prevarication, and tedious. Although some minor characters are clearly racist in their opinions and behavior, all of the major characters suffer from ambiguity in their opinions and constant prevarication in their actions. I do understand the heavy symbolism and the allegorical nature of this book, but for me the behavior of these characters was frustrating and tedious.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I almost gave up on this one because almost nothing happens for the first 150 pages and the prose is extremely dry. The author paints a very precise portrait of racism and class-ism in British occupied India.

It is easy to see why so many people hold this book in such high regard; it was obviously groundbreaking when it was published. It will never take the place of To Kill a Mockingbird in my heart.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |

Forster, E. M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dastor, SamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magadini, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, Scott RussellAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Syed Ross Masood and to the seventeen years of our friendship
Except for the Marabar caves--and they are twenty miles off--the city of Chrandrapore presents nothing extraordinary.
"We must exclude someone from our gathering, or we shall be left with nothing."

A mysterious incident at the Marabar caves, involving Adela Quested, newly arrived from England, and the presumed guilt of charming and mercurial Dr. Aziz, are at the centre of Forster's magnificent novel of India during the Raj. Topical now, as in 1924, in its evocation of the dangers and ambivalences inherent in colonialism, as Forster said, it is 'about something wider than politics, about the search of the human race for a more lasting home, about the universe as embodied in the Indian earth and the Indian sky, about the horror lurking in the Marabar caves...'

In this hard-hitting novel, first published in 1924, the murky personal relationship between an Englishwoman and an Indian doctor mirrors the troubled politics of colonialism. Adela Quested and her fellow British travelers, eager to experience the "real" India, develop a friendship with the urbane Dr. Aziz. While on a group outing, Adela and Dr. Aziz visit the Marabar caves together. As they emerge, Adela accuses the doctor of assaulting her. While Adela never actually claims she was raped, the decisions she makes ostracize her from both her countrymen and the natives, setting off a complex chain of events that forever changes the lives of all involved. This intense and moving story asks the listener serious questions about preconceptions regarding race, sex, religion, and truth. A political and philosophical masterpiece.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014144116X, 0143566385

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,610,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible