Maurice: A Novel by E. M. Forster

Maurice: A Novel (edition 1987)

by E. M. Forster (Author)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:Maurice: A Novel
Authors:E. M. Forster (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:fiction

Maurice by E. M. Forster

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: The man is brilliant! One should read all of his books!
    A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr (1502Isabella)
    The Obelisk by E. M. Forster (DitisSuzanne)
    Why We Never Danced the Charleston by Harlan Greene (lucybrown)
    lucybrown: Both books examine young men coming to terms with their homosexuality in a time period when it was entirely unaccepted, even illegal. Forster's book is set in the late Victorian England (1914)and Greene's 1920s Charleston, SC. Both are well written though stylistically different.… (more)
    The Lost Language of Cranes by David Leavitt (Booksloth)
    The Charioteer by Mary Renault (emanate28)
    emanate28: Understated, loving, and in a way heartbreaking depiction of love between two men in repressive British society.
    Tell it to the Bees by Fiona Shaw (MinaKelly)
    Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin (jonathankws)
    Stalky & Co. by Rudyard Kipling (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Maurice is kind of a Stalky grown-up to be gay.
    Simple Man: The Autobiography of Peter West by Ruadhán J. McElroy (youngsoulrebel)
    Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Another LGBT Bildungsroman

English (44)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (47)
Written between 1913 and 1914, Forster’s novel of a young man’s awakening homosexuality was not published until 1971, a year after the author’s death. The novel caused a sensation when it was released, not just because of the subject matter, but because Forster dared to write a “happy ending.”

Still, there is much distress for Maurice as he comes to terms with his “inclinations” and struggles to form a relationship that will be honest and true. But then, many a heterosexual young person also struggles to find true love and acceptance.

I loved the way that Forster developed this character, showing Maurice’s confusion and naivete as a young man at boarding school, his headlong reckless nature as he pursued his pleasure and found first love, his despair when he thought all was lost and felt compelled to “find a cure” for his condition, and his eventual awakening to the possibilities that a mature and loving relationship might offer him.

I was appalled by some of the attitudes expressed in the novel, but sadly recognize some of the same behavior in current society. While much has changed in regard to societal attitudes about homosexuality in the hundred years since the book was written, and even in the nearly 50 years since it was first published, there is still hatred and persecution aimed at the members of the GLBT community. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | May 22, 2017 |
An introspective look into the life of a privileged young man in Edwardian England as he comes to understand and accept his homosexuality. I thought it shared A Room with a View's theme of discovering one's self by breaking out of rigid social conventions but treated it in a more serious and personal manner. The ending was surprisingly upbeat considering this was written over a hundred years ago ( )
  wandaly | May 7, 2017 |
"Publishable, but worth it?" Was the question E.M Forster wrote in his own margins of the manuscript of this novel.

My answer is yes. Yes, absolutely, yes.

This is a story of same-sex love in Edwardian times between a man called Maurice (said like Morris) his various relationships and finally the man he falls in love with.

I love Forster's tone in this - he's very witty, his writing is layers and layers of comments on class, and gender, and privilege and it's all very subtle. This book can be quite masculine, quite dark, a little bit bitter and bleak, but there's a warmth to it, and an honesty to it.

This book wasn't published until 1971 - after Forster's death. As a queer woman, it makes me wonder what other books were written throughout history and never published, because they had a theme of same-sex love.

This book is an absolute triumph - even its 1987 film adaption with a very young Rupert Graves, Hugh Grant and James Wilby is brilliant.

You should definitely give this book a try. You'll be surprised. ( )
1 vote lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
This book is thrilling because it introduced two novel concepts at the same time. Homosexually is not wrong, supported by beautiful imagery and symbolism, and class distinctions are wrong, proven by love. Maurice may be dull and average, but that is who he is; the average Edwardian Englishman, upon whom homosexuality is thrust. The action of the novel ensues as he copes with his birth trait. This is a point in itself. Homosexuals are no one particular or special, they are average.

Clive's propensity to see the world in shades only of good and bad is paralleled in his fate in opposition to Maurice's happy ending. Clive is delivered in a few chapters as transformed, as turned away from men to women. While this transformation is possible, it is not as he would have it, he has chosen a path of great unhappiness, overwhelmed by society and thus he conforms to the idea that his platonic love for Maurice is wrong, thus it ends. Between the lines, Clive has forced the change. It was not natural for him, even though he thinks himself 'normal' thereafter. Much of these thoughts lie for the reader to interpret in Forster's subtle poetry.

Maurice's fate, much happier and very controversial in it's support of homosexuality and of inter-class love, is fantasy balanced by the average archetype that he is. This novel portrays him as a very basic upper-middle class man who can do or be anything the author wants, all is believable about him, and indeed, he is perfectly naive. It is through him that we understand a grander motif of the destruction love can do. Maurice is selfish and childish in love, but that is love. He is no great person or hero. He is the everyman. And the everyman in love, true love, is a slave to his passions, and once a sad and lonely man finds them, if he ever does, why should he let go? ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this short novel about homosexual men set just before World War I. The characters are so well drawn -- torn by their sexuality which society, and even their inner beliefs, tells them in wrong -- but fully drawn men who have feelings of love, lust, power, ambition, obligation. They are not stereotypes or archetypes.

Maurice and Clive meet and fall in love at University. After that, life takes them along different paths. Clive disavows his homosexuality and marries. Maurice struggles over his lost love then seeks a "cure" through hypnotism. Through it all, the men sometimes succeed in life and in conforming; other times, they succeed in being true to themselves.

Many of the issues faced by the characters in Maurice continue to exist today. While homosexuality is much more accepted, gay people remain the victims of discrimination and, too often, violence. E.M. Forster's book is one that should be widely read as it shows that we are all the same in our struggles and dreams. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 22, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editBoys in our Books, Ilhelm (Feb 19, 2015)

added by gsc55 | editSinfully Sexy, Mark (Jan 8, 2014)

Includes link to "new" essay
added by gsc55 | editBand of Thebes, Laurence Scott (Jul 7, 2013)

Dedicated to a Happier Year
Once a term the whole school went for a walk - that is to say the three masters took part as well as all the boys.

"The work of an exceptional artist working close to the peak of his powers." Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, The New York Times

Set in the elegant Edwardian world of Cambridge undergraduate life, this story by a master novelist introduces us to Maurice Hall when he is fourteen. We follow him through public school and Cambridge, and on into his father's firm, Hill and Hall, Stock Brokers. In a highly structured society, Maurice is a conventional young man in almost every way, "stepping into the niche that England had prepared for him": except that his is homosexual. Written during 1913 and 1914, immediately after Howards End, and not published until 1971, Maurice was ahead of its time in its theme and in its affirmation that love between men can be happy. "Happiness," Forster wrote, "is its keynote. In Maurice I tried to create a character who was completely unlike myself or what I supposed myself to be: someone handsome, healthy, bodily attractive, mentally torpid, not a bad businessman and rather a snob. Into this mixture I dropped an ingredient that puzzles him, wakes him up, torments him and finally saves him."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

"The work of an exceptional artist working close to the peak of his powers."-Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, New York Times Set in the elegant Edwardian world of Cambridge undergraduate life, this story by a master novelist introduces us to Maurice Hall when he is fourteen. We follow him through public school and Cambridge, and on into his father's firm, Hill and Hall, Stock Brokers. In a highly structured society, Maurice is a conventional young man in almost every way, "stepping into the niche that England had prepared for him": except that his is homosexual. Written during 1913 and 1914, immediately after Howards End, and not published until 1971, Maurice was ahead of its time in its theme and in its affirmation that love between men can be happy. "Happiness," Forster wrote, "is its keynote...In Maurice I tried to create a character who was completely unlike myself or what I supposed myself to be: someone handsome, healthy, bodily attractive, mentally torpid, not a bad businessman and rather a snob. Into this mixture I dropped an ingredient that puzzles him, wakes him up, torments him and finally saves him." Written during 1913 and 1914, Maurice deals with the then unmentionable subject of homosexuality. More unusual, it concerns a relationship that ends happily.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,258,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible