Fast Women by Jennifer Crusie

Fast Women (2001)

by Jennifer Crusie

I did not find this book terribly enjoyable--not my type of book.
A bunch of women sit around a lot moaning about life, husbands, men in general.
The protagonist, Nell, is divorced and walking through her life until she gets a job running a detective agency (much against her boss's wishes--but she's hot and he's hot so it doesn't matter). Much arguing back and forth. A bit of investigation of a murder that stretches through a lot of years. Finished. Thank goodness for that. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Fast Women

The Characters

Gabe
Nell

And a bunch of other folks.

The Story

This story was really interesting and really complicated. A who-done-it story laced with friendship, comedy and love.

The Random Thoughts

This story once again proves that I can not go wrong with a Jennifer Crusie book. But, now I’ve read all of the back catalogue and she needs to write me some new stuff.

4 Star ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Mar 27, 2015 |
This was set in a detective agency, where Nell goes to work for Riley and Gabe and helps solve a mystery involving a law firm run by Gabe's father's best friend. I really enjoyed the first half of the novel: Nell sorts out the chaos in the office and falls for Gabe, but then it just kept going for pages and chapters and pages more and the plot was more complicated than I really cared about and Nell kept nearly getting killed and people kept moving boxes and talking endlessly about china. I like Riley and Suze and I couldn't get a grip on Margie - how old was she even meant to be? What purpose did she serve? Fun over all. ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 18, 2015 |
I really got wrapped up in this book thinking men were scum. The romance didn't get serious until half way into the story but the humor, character interaction and solving the crime kept me interested throughout. Nell gets a job at Gabe's detective agency and they are both alpha types constantly trying to take control.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
With all this author's popularity and prolific writing career, my expectations were very high. From all her highly rated reviews, I knew going in that she writes romantic comedies; however, I really just didn't enjoy her style of humor. I felt that her constant attempts at silly and farcical humor actually detracted from the romance of the main characters and the story. In the beginning of this book, I was starting to enjoy the "whodunit" aspect of the plot, but it quickly deteriorated from there. The heroine came across as a controlling, bitchy woman, and I ended up disliking her. ( )
  Susan33 | Mar 31, 2014 |
Fast Women was not too bad, the main protagonists had some issues, but it was entertaining. I couldn't find the ebook for fast women so I sent it into 1dollarscan to scan it.

Jennifer Crusieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burr, SandraReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Valerie Taylor
because she tells me when my scenes are boring,
my syntax is twisted, and my characters are jerks,
because she reminds me that I always think
my career is over in the middle of each book,
and because she writes truly wonderful stories
and then lets me read them first.
Keep dodging those trucks, honey.
Chapter One
The man behind the cluttered desk looked like the devil, and Nell Dysart figured that was par for her course since she'd been going to hell for a year and a half anyway.

Emotionally numb from her divorce 18 months earlier, Nell Dysart is about to waken with a vengeance. When she takes a job as office manager for McKenna Investigations, she's determined to reorganize, redecorate, and revamp the stuck-in-the-'50s surroundings, but she runs smack-dab into senior partner Gabe McKenna, the immovable object to her irresistible force. Gabe likes the dated ambiance just fine and doesn't want a thing changed, but he soon learns that nothing in his life is going to stay the same now that Nell has arrived.
Rough and gruff, but with a heart of gold, Gabe is just what Nell needs to jump-start her hormones. Nell's formerly dull life is suddenly wildly active, for not only is she lusting after Gabe (and vice versa), but there's also a case of embezzlement to uncover, a dog to steal, and bribery to investigate. And, oh yes, there are those very cold, very dead bodies in the freezer.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312980159, Paperback)

Fast Women has well-rounded characters, an interesting mystery to resolve, and author Jennifer Crusie's trademark humor. In addition, Crusie gives readers a little something extra in her exploration of the emotional stages of divorce, the viability of marriage, and the value of self-honesty--all of which add up to an excellent fictional tale layered with a thought-provoking look at contemporary culture. --Lois Faye Dyer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

Following her divorce, Nell Dysart takes a job working for a detective agency and finds herself knee deep in embezzlement, bribery, blackmail, arson, adultery, murder, and passion with her boss, Gabe McKenna.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible