Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner

Swordspoint (1987)

by Ellen Kushner (Author)

Series: Riverside (1)

Recently added bywishanem, emepps, SantaThing2014, ebontigress, librarycatnip, private library, Mothwing
    The Killing Moon by N. K. Jemisin (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Gutter-Duke swordpoint politics, meet assassin ninja-priests.
    Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Sorceress_rin)
    Point of Hopes by Melissa Scott (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Another story revolving around two men in a relationship that takes place largely in a single city.
    Havemercy by Jaida Jones (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Very similar, and both fantastic.
    Maledicte by Lane Robins (FicusFan)
    FicusFan: Very Similar 'Period' Fantasy Feel, a Black Comedy of Manners

This is a pretty fabulous book all around, swords, characterization, detailed world building, the works. I particularly like the completely natural way in which the main characters' same sex relationship is presented. There is just never any suggestion that it is anything out of the ordinary. I love it. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
Plot: 2 1/2 stars
Characters: 3 1/2 stars
Style: 3 1/2 stars
Pace: 3 stars

If there'd been more tension, this would have had a much higher rating from me. Maybe it's because I was reading it on a slow day at work (a coworker friend was astounded I'd never read any Kushner and had the "We must fix this immediately" reaction, so I gave it a try), but while I can see the appeal, I didn't enjoy it. I just kept wanting something more to happen than what actually did. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Jun 22, 2014 |
I will admit that I 'absorbed' this title as an audiobook from the up-to-this-point irrefutably amazing audiobook list put together by Neil Gaiman. But, but, esch-gag, most of it was acted out with cling-clangy sword clashing and crunchy footstep noises. My imagination feels coddled.

Besides that, I really enjoyed Kushner's creation of scenery and ambiance. She really is a master of the craft. (I deducted a star for her poor taste in audiobook production - since the version I listened to was put together by her)

konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
Excellent, I have never enjoyed such a good story with such fun characters as Kushner has created. Absolutely brilliant!
  densallee | Apr 9, 2014 |

Kushner, EllenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fass, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graham, DionNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kushner, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reyes, Manuel de losTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man desires that which is Good.
-Plato
"We all have flaws," he said, "and mine is being wicked."
-James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks
In the end...everything will be found to be true of everybody.
-Lawrence Durrell, Balthazar
For the Other One
Snow was falling on Riverside, great white feather-puffs that veiled the cracks in the façades of its ruined houses; slowly softening the harsh contours of jagged roof and fallen beam.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553585495, Mass Market Paperback)

The classic forerunner to The Fall of the Kings now with three bonus stories.

Hailed by critics as “a bravura performance” (Locus) and “witty, sharp-eyed, [and] full of interesting people” (Newsday), this classic melodrama of manners, filled with remarkable plot twists and unexpected humor, takes fantasy to an unprecedented level of elegant writing and scintillating wit. Award-winning author Ellen Kushner has created a world of unforgettable characters whose political ambitions, passionate love affairs, and age-old rivalries collide with deadly results.

Swordspoint

On the treacherous streets of Riverside, a man lives and dies by the sword. Even the nobles on the Hill turn to duels to settle their disputes. Within this elite, dangerous world, Richard St. Vier is the undisputed master, as skilled as he is ruthless--until a death by the sword is met with outrage instead of awe, and the city discovers that the line between hero and villain can be altered in the blink of an eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:51 -0400)

In this collection which includes a novel and three short stories, the great swordsman Richard St. Vier is forced to become involved in a plot to gain control of a nameless city where elegance and decadence coexist.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,105,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible