The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra…

The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts) (edition 2018)

by Mary Connealy (Author)

Member:CafinatedReads
Title:The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts)
Authors:Mary Connealy (Author)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (2018), 304 pages
Collections:2018 Reads
Rating:*****

The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts) by Mary Connealy

Title: The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts #1)
Author: Mary Connealy
Pages: 304
Year: 2018
Publisher: Bethany House
My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.
This author has a knack for writing that draws readers into her stories from the first page through the last. This book is no exception. It is set near Lake Tahoe in the year 1867. Deb Harkness and her younger sister, Gwen, have joined a wagon train headed to California. They have agreed to look after two young children of a couple traveling on the wagon train in exchange for their passage. While out with the children early one morning, disaster strikes and they are left alone in the wilderness.
Trace Riley is on his way home from his first cattle drive as an owner. He has sent his men on ahead as he travels when he comes upon a devastating scene. He also seems to have gained two women and two young children to protect. He must get them to his ranch before winter sets in or none of them will survive. They make it to his ranch, and he gets them settled in while planning on hunting the men responsible for such evil. He has seen their evil deeds up close and personal as his Pa met the same fate as those of this recent strike. Trace is filled with the need for revenge and justice for the innocent. He and Deb tell each other of their pasts. Trace recounts how he has spent several winters snowed in with a Bible and a few other books as his companions. He has read the Bible many times and phrase keeps coming to mind in his current situation…a voice crying in the wilderness. He hasn’t been around many other people for a long time, especially women and children. How is he going to handle being snowbound with two women and two young children? His thoughts continue to stray to Deb and he wonders if she could feel the same about him. However, he wants to continue to hunt these criminals who are responsible for so much grief. Another wagon train is rumored to be headed his way, but can Trace catch the criminals before they strike again?
I am already looking forward to the second book in the series! I was fully engaged in this story from the get-go and didn’t put it down until I was done. The prose is easy to read, and the characters likeable. Being alone in the wilderness helped God shape Trace into a God-fearing man, one who knows his Scripture. Deb is a courageous young woman, who is thrust into a nightmare on the trail. She adjusts to her situation admirably without complaint and truly appreciates the blessings God gives her. ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 4, 2018 |
This is a Christian story set in the old west. It is full of wagon trains and cowboys. The story is very interesting. I do not like to give a synopsis, you can read that elsewhere. I want to tell you if you should or should not read this book.

The story is well written. It draws you in from the very beginning and keeps your interest throughout. The characters seem real and feel like someone you might meet or know. They are well developed and believable. The story itself is believable also.

The editing of this book was very well done.

I requested to review this book and was given a copy through the publisher so I could read and review it. The review is my own and of my own free will. Do I recommend this book? Yes, I do. ( )
  grammy57 | May 20, 2018 |
Holy cow! This book was fantastic! I have been a forever fan of Mrs. Connealy's since I read Petticoat Ranch. She is absolutely one of the best Christian Western Romance writers out there and I will forever sing her praises. When I saw she had another series releasing, I was all for jumping on that band wagon (no pun intended!)! Sitting down to read this, I had it read it less than two days, it was just that captivating.

Opening the pages to Deborah's story, watching her try to protect her sister and the young ones was amazing. I could feel myself becoming Deborah, telling her younger sister just what to do to keep them safe. When Ms. Connealy enters Trace into the picture.....well, whew! Not only was I instantly pulled to him, his protective side in a man like him, really made me swoon through out the book! I loved that! Seeing him with Deborah, his caring way toward her, was undeniably God-filled and romantic.

Mrs. Connealy has created yet another keeper for my shelf! She has taken a story of intriguing suspense, wrapped it up with her trade mark swoon-worthy cowboys and sassy heroines, and dished her readers an unforgettable laugh out loud, love story. This book is perfect for that rainy day, or long drive for a summer trip. Don't wait to get this one. Go grab it up now! It's 5 star worthy and so much more! Well done, Mrs. Connealy! Well done!!! I am highly anticipating the release of book 2, The Reluctant Warrior.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.* ( )
  CafinatedReads | May 17, 2018 |
Mary Connealy’s new series, High Sierra Sweethearts, starts with a bang when Deborah Harkness, her sister, and two charges end up stranded in the middle of nowhere, the rest of their wagon train massacred and burned. Trace Riley comes to the rescue, thankfully, and the story that follows is full of entertaining, sweet, and dangerous moments as they all figure out what to do next.

From Trace and his men to Deb, Gwen, and the children, the main characters are all likeable (and the bad guys equally hateable). The more I discovered the struggles that Trace and Deb have, as well as their reliance on faith through it all, the more relatable they, especially, became. Though they do have a few conversations that feel repetitive and express a few worries that only get vague closure, I enjoyed reading through the ups and downs of their story.

The Accidental Guardian is a fun Western adventure and romance. Readers looking for an inspirational and entertaining read, add this book to your TBR list.

Thanks to JustRead Tours, I received a complimentary copy of The Accidental Guardian and the opportunity to provide an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review, and all the opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  hes7 | May 17, 2018 |
The Accidental Guardian is a perfect book with a complete package of cool pace, well-established characters and amazing narration. This is the first time I'm reading Mary Connealy's book and I definitely became a fan. The periodical setup of the story taking place is well written. The details were fine. I could see the mountains, feel the weather and last but not the least, the characters came very close to my heart. The periodical set-up takes you back in time because of the writer's fine detailing. Trace, the cowboy who had to grow up all alone didn't give up, he is brave enough to survive the massacre and he built his own ranch out of nothing. I like brave Trace who chose to guard the trail for all those travelers. The title is just apt - 'The Accidental Guardian'. He turned out into a well-mannered, caring young man all by himself just by reading the Bible and plenty of other books. It assures me of the fact that 'Books truly are man's best friends'. Deb is a strong character with plenty of courage and independent thoughts. I understood why it was hard for her to believe in the sensible angle of a man. Gwen, Adam and Utah are fine supporting characters. The animals Black and Wolf were no less than the prime characters of the story. I could not put the book down until the last page. My heart broke when Maddie Sue and Ronnie lost their family, I felt the chill of the winter in the high mountains, I was mad at the outlaws for what they did and I felt so happy when Trace and Deb got married in the small chapel. The whole story brings warmth to your heart. I would suggest you grab this awesome book, sit down in your balcony with a view and read it while sipping your coffee. You wouldn't know how the time passed by!

#bethanyhouse #bakerpublishinggroup #bookreviewer #bookreview #cowboystory #maryconnealy #theaccidentalguardian #periodicromance #plumreview #barnesandnoble #powells ( )
  madhupal2486 | May 1, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,389,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible