Homeport by Nora Roberts

Homeport

by Nora Roberts

Ok book. Nothing exciting. ( )
  soosthemoose | Feb 28, 2018 |
3.5 ( )
  ClarisaO | Aug 13, 2014 |
Homeport by Nora Roberts
Amelia had left the pearls and other items to family members. She gave Miranda the art collection.
Miranda Jones is shaken by the one who slashes her tires and grabs her bag.
She heads to Italy to verify the authenticity of the 'dark lady'.
Others think she is not capable of making the decision. Ryan Valdeere is a thief. he loves the thrill of getting in and out undetected.
Radiation and xrays proved it was genuine, she had seen the results. Why then was it a fake, how did it happen, when?
And now the bronze has been stolen! Ryan blackmails her into verifying another fake bronze.
They must work together and they get the files about the employees who worked for them and he thinks that will lead them to the solution.
When they have to act like a married couple she's not sure she can pull it off...
Love the action, adventure and mystery and the travel...
  jbarr5 | Nov 11, 2013 |
I feel like I need to keep checking the book and the book page to make absolutely sure this was Nora Roberts. I've never disliked one of her books as much as I disliked this one.

The plot itself was intriguing and for the most part done well (outside of my major issue with the book). I liked the unusual view into the art world, and the build up of the central mystery. I mostly liked the reveal of who was behind everything. I thought I had the situation pegged after a somewhat out-of-left-field revelation, but there was yet another change-up that kept it somewhat surprising. However, there was a part of it that is so skeevy and the real weight of what it meant seemed to not register with the characters at all. (Really no one else had a reaction to that? What is going on? I was cringing and screeching a little and I'm seeing no mentions in other reviews. Really?).

In the end it was the execution of the characters that made this book painful for me and ultimately ruined the story.

The worst of them was Ryan Boldari. I'm sure the "thief with a heart of gold" has been done and done well, but here it wasn't. He was insufferably arrogant, selfish, and mentally unbalanced. From thinking his profession was perfectly fine because it was a "god-given talent" (an insipid notion supported by his entire family who I think was actually a breeding ground for mental instability), to him truly believing what he stole belonged to him. He acted like there was a warranty of merchantability on the items he stole, and that Miranda "owed" him because he didn't take what he thought he did. If it weren't for his love of his family I would have thought he was a sociopath. I'm still not entirely convinced he knows how to love anything but himself. Then for the first time in any romance novel I've ever read he sleeps with her after she gets so plastered that nothing she said sounded like it was coming from her. And in the morning he lets her apologize and says he's glad she's not silly enough to blame him for taking advantage. Uh, excuse me, she was drunk, you were not, and you kept pointing that and the fact she wasn't acting anything like herself out. That would be taking advantage, man. And I'm supposed to buy this guy as a romantic Hero? Even when it came to him falling for Miranda – he continued to maintain he was going to steal from her, and that he'd rather steal from and betray her than love her. It ruins the effect. But he's supposed to be so charming that none of this matters. Yeah, that doesn't work for me.

Miranda Jones was an idiot. Her intelligence was pretty much limited to her doctorate field. She had to be lead by the hand the entire time and never put anything together herself. She was given countless information, clues and too many coincidences to be believed and not once did she put anything together herself. One of the men around her had to do it. She was getting threatening letters the entire book and never thought it was a relevant enough fact to mention to anyone. She had enough information on Ryan in the beginning to ruin him and yet she kept letting him outsmart her at every turn with no response. She went along with his insanity, and let him keep raving like a lunatic at her. One second she'd be ranting about getting justice for the murdered characters, then flipping out because someone would have to go to jail for it. For all her ethics and upstanding morals she still put aside what Ryan does (and did to her) when he was lavishing her with attention. Even though he was incredibly condescending, rude, dismissive, calculating, etc. while doing so. She would show flashes of backbone and then it'd be gone just as quickly and she'd fall all over him. While I wanted to feel bad for her due to her family, and I did understand why she was desperate for love, I just didn't care about them getting together or being together. I didn't like or respect what they thought they had.

Annie needed to get over it. It happened fifteen years ago – let it freaking go. I started skimming any scenes with her because it was the same thing over and over. What she did at seventeen doesn't relate to anything that's happening in the present yet she was always comparing. I just wanted her to shut up.

Andrew was the only character I liked. He was the most sympathetic of the bunch. He was the sweetest brother (I did like the brother/sister relationship he and Miranda had going), and didn't act like a complete moron (except when it came to his addiction). It's too bad he was stuck with a bunch of twitch-inducing women (his mother, his sister, his love interest, and his ex-wife). Though after what's revealed in the end I wanted to give him a bottle of Jack and tell him to have fun. Unfortunately, this wasn't really his story. So we didn't get a good deal of him, though more than could be expected.

The rest of the Jones family – their mother, Elizabeth, their father, and Andrew's ex-wife, Elise – rounded out the character face-palming. The rest of the secondary characters were too far in the background to make much of a difference.

It really is too bad that what could have been a great story was marred by such awful characters. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
Good not great. Fairly typical contemporary romance. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |

Roberts, Noraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leigh, ErikaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ganstel, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snel, MariëlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vigier, IsabelleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zilli Nunciati, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beauty is its own excuse for being.

--Emerson
"To Marianne and Ky, with love and hope and admiration."
The damp, snapping wind iced the bones through to the marrow.

The Maine air was bitter cold and frigid as Dr. Miranda Jones returned to the family home after a busy lecture tour. But her blood turned to ice when, out of nowhere, she felt a knife held against her throat. The unseen assailant stole her bags, slashed her tires and disappeared. Shaken and bruised, Miranda was nonetheless determined to put the assault quickly out of her mind. Then comes a distraction in the form of a summons to Italy to verify the authenticity of a valuable Renaissance bronze of a Medici courtesan known as "The Dark Lady." However, instead of cementing Miranda's position as the leading expert in her field, the job unexpectedly nearly destroys it when her professional judgement is called into question. Emotionally estranged from her mother, her brother immersed in his own troubles -- and a bottle -- Miranda, desperate to restore her reputation, has no one to turn to -- except Ryan Boldari, a seductive art thief whose own agenda forces them into a reluctant and uneasy alliance. Now, it has become frighteningly clear that the incident that day in Maine was not a simple mugging, and that "The Dark Lady" may possess as many secrets as its beautiful namesake once did. For Miranda, forced to rely on herself -- and an enigmatic partner who offers her suspicion and an intoxicating passion -- the only way home is filled with treachery, deception, and a danger that threatens them all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515124893, Mass Market Paperback)

Roberts returns with the customary combo of romance and intrigue in Homeport, the tale of a lovelorn Ph.D. trying to save her reputation as well as her life. Dr. Miranda Jones, who specializes in authenticating Renaissance art, is called to Italy to verify The Dark Lady, a statue that may have been created by Michelangelo. When the sculpture turns out to be a fake, she is determined to find the original and gains the help of sexy art thief Ryan Boldari--who has plans to steal a bronze via Jones. However, his manipulative designs go awry when he falls for the brainy redhead and a dangerous killer begins to stalk them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:52 -0400)

The Maine air is bitterly cold when Dr. Miranda Jones arrives at the family home after a busy lecture tour. But her blood turns to ice when she suddenly feels the knife against her throat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,506,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible