Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin

Michael Tolliver Lives (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Armistead Maupin

Member:QueenOfEschnapur
Title:Michael Tolliver Lives
Authors:Armistead Maupin
Info:Doubleday (2007), Hardcover, 288 pages

Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin (2007)

Recently added byGAGVLibrary, drhapgood, ToddSears, Edokun, daisy32, kentcdillon, private library, WWCCLibrary, sangreal

English (39)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
He's back!: Yeah, after all this time, Michael is back. This was a fun, quick read. It's great that Michael survived AIDS, and is a great catch-up on what has been happening in his (and his other friends) lives. This is a fun read and makes me long for more!
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
(71) ( )
  activelearning | Oct 13, 2013 |
Oddly compelling. Dotesn't require having read any of the first six books. Don't think I would read any of the others based on this one, though. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
Revisiting on audio 2/2011

This has apparently become one of my go-to audio books.

Revisiting on audio 9/2010

This has become my favorite of all the Tales of the City books. It's such a lovely meditation on aging and love and one's logical family that it rises above the hijinks of the rest of the series. There's a serious and retrospective note here that brings more gravitas to the words. Beautifully done.

7/2007
Mouse has aged since last I saw him, and I'm reassured to report that he's got many of the same worries I do about the process. Cameos from almost everyone from the Tales of the City series. The meat of the book is about relationships and connections. And looking down to find one's grandparent's hands attached to one's own arms. Delightful, winsome, bittersweet and loving. Highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This was like coming home to something very familiar and loved. This last novel in Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series closes the cycle in a much better way than Sure of You did. No bitter taste, just closure.

We meet up with Micheal Tolliver, HIV survivor who didn't expect to live this long, didn't expect to out live Anna or any of his friends. Mouse has found love again and we get acquainted with his life. Gently, not rushed in any way.

I love Ben, I looove Shawna who grew up to become a blend of the best and worst of her "family".

I'm at peace with the end of this series unlike when I finished Sure of You and was very disappointed in the up in the air ending. ( )
  writerlibrarian | Apr 4, 2013 |
Not long ago, down on Castro Street, a stranger in a Giants parka gave me a loaded glance as we passed each other in front of Cliff's Hardware.

Michael Tolliver, the sweet-spirited Southerner in Armistead Maupin's classic Tales of the City series, is arguably one of the most widely loved characters in contem-porary fiction. Now, almost twenty years after ending his ground-breaking saga of San Francisco life, Maupin revisits his all-too-human hero, letting the fifty-five-year-old gardener tell his story in his own voice.

Having survived the plague that took so many of his friends and lovers, Michael has learned to embrace the random pleasures of life, the tender alliances that sustain him in the hardest of times. Michael Tolliver Lives follows its protagonist as he finds love with a younger man, attends to his dying fundamentalist mother in Florida, and finally reaffirms his allegiance to a wise octogenarian who was once his landlady.

Though this is a stand-alone novel—accessible to fans of Tales of the City and new readers alike—a reassuring number of familiar faces appear along the way. As usual, the author's mordant wit and ear for pitch-perfect dialogue serve every aspect of the story—from the bawdy to the bittersweet. Michael Tolliver Lives is a novel about the act of growing older joyfully and the everyday miracles that somehow make that possible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:33 -0400)

Michael Tolliver, the sweet-spirited Southerner in Armistead Maupin's classic Tales of the City series, lives on in this novel about growing older joyfully. Almost twenty years after ending his saga of San Francisco life, author Maupin revisits his all-too-human hero, letting the 55-year-old gardener tell his own story. Having survived the plague that took so many of his friends and lovers, Michael has learned to embrace the random pleasures of life, the tender alliances that sustain him in the hardest of times. This book follows its protagonist as he finds love with a younger man, attends to his dying fundamentalist mother in Florida, and finally reaffirms his allegiance to a wise octogenarian who was once his landlady. This stand-alone novel is accessible to new readers, while fans of Tales of the City will find a reassuring number of familiar faces.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,624,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible