Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Inkspell (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Cornelia Funke

6,280None630 (4.03)243
Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Inkspell
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2007), Paperback, 656 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Reviewed, Amazon
Rating:***1/2
Tags:genre: fantasy, type: trade paperback, read 2007, female protagonist, age: young adult

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (2005)

adventure (113) audio (20) audiobook (25) books (129) books about books (41) children (53) children's (97) children's fiction (33) children's literature (54) Cornelia Funke (39) fantasy (923) fiction (368) Funke (24) German (40) hardcover (23) Inkheart (130) juvenile (30) magic (138) novel (29) own (36) read (57) reading (28) series (133) teen (25) to-read (73) trilogy (31) unread (46) YA (120) young adult (206) young adult fiction (29)

English (116)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (132)
Sequels are meant to be poor in comparison to the first this is not. The normal characters exist in the book such as Dustfinger, Mo and Meggie but also introduces us to some new just as dynamic characters. Some are just a villainous as the ones in the first book, some characters are just as endearing.

This book like the first deals with the fantasy world of Inkworld but this time from the prospective of being in the world. This was a brilliant book that I couldn’t get enough of, which is just as well as it is the second in a trilogy

There is only thing better than finishing a good book, is the apprehension of the next one. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Feb 23, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I really enjoyed reading the first book of this series. So after I finished Tintenhertz I went to the bookstore to get this second book. It's a book about a world in a book, and as a child I thought that was wonderful. This is a book for children, or maybe they classify it as YA nowadays (I wouldn't do that), so you have to keep in mind that the writing style is a little childish sometimes. I don't think that is a problem, cause you know you can find such things while reading a book for children. Anyway, I was a bit younger when I read the book and at that time I really liked it. After that I also read the last part, which in my opinion was not as good as the other two, but maybe that was because I was 2 years older by then. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
It takes forever to get through if you stop reading it for a while and then try and go back to it. ( )
  nlm2nd | Dec 11, 2013 |
This book INK SPELL, is an adventure book for sure! Its characters are always getting into trouble! Meggie Folchart (daughter of Mo and Resa Folchart), and Farid (a boy mo read out of 40 Thieves) are in the "Ink world together, to worn Dustfinger of the awaiting disaster. In the search for Dustfinger, Meggie and Farid encounter the Wayless Woods, the Castles of Ombra, the Adderheads Castle and much more. Mortola the Magpie as everyone called her in this world, shows up at Elinor's house in search of the last copy of INK HEART, however Mo, Resa, Mortola, and Basta are whisked away to the INK world as well. Leaving Elinor and Darius to slave away in their own house. Meanwhile in the INK world, Mo gets shot by Basta, and is trying to recover, Meggie gets separated from Farid in search of Fenoglio and the rest you will read later.

I loved this book. It was a fantastic read, full of magic, kings, queens... The perfect fantasy book for me. After reading the first book, INK HEART, i was compelled to read the second, INK SPELL. I just had to see what happened to all of my favorite characters in the book. I am now working on the third ad final book, INK DEATH. I think Cornelia Funke is a great author. She tells the story so well you'd think your actually living in it yourself. Well i hope you get a chance to read this wonderful book. I'm sure ill be reading it again later! ( )
  GemmaF.B4 | Oct 19, 2013 |
Tintenblut ist die Fortsetzung zu [b:Tintenherz|292110|Tintenherz (Tintenwelt, #1)|Cornelia Funke|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173461637s/292110.jpg|2628323]. Als solche führt das Buch die Geschichte um Meggie, Mo, Staubfinger und Farid fort. Während der erste Teil noch in der "normalen" Welt spielte, reisen die Hauptfiguren in diesem Band in die "Tintenwelt", wo das von Fegnolio geschriebenen Buch "Tintenherz" spielt. Dort treffen sie auf neue Freunde, doch auch viele alte und neue Feinde.

Das Buch ist spannend und steht dem ersten Band in kaum etwas nach. Der einzige wirkliche negative Aspekt ist die Tatsache, dass der zweite Band ein paar Längen aufweist, doch die davon abgesehen sehr spannende Handlung und immer wieder einsetzende Wenden im Geschehen lassen einen leicht darüber hinweg sehen. In diesem Band besonders interessant umgesetzt sind die wechselnden Erzählperspektiven, die in Tintenherz zwar auch vorkommen, jedoch bei weitem nicht in so großem Umfang wie in Tintenblut. Der erste Band schilderte die Ereignisse hauptsächlich aus Meggies Perspektive und hat nur ein paar vereinzelte Perspektivwechsel, vor allem gegen Ende. In Tintenblut wechselt die Erzählperspektive nun fast Kapitelweise, springt so zwischen den verschiedenen parallel laufenden Handlungssträngen und ermöglicht tiefere Innensicht in so gut wie alle Charaktere, ein eindeutiger Pluspunkt, der die Spannungsbögen noch vergrößert und für Abwechslung sorgt. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |

If I knew

where poems came from,

I'd go there.

—Michael Langley, Staying Alive
To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

To Rainer Strecker, who is both Silvertongue and Dustfinger. Every word in this book is just waiting for him to read it.

And of course, as almost always, last but for sure not least, for Anna, wonderful Anna, who had this story told to her on many walks, encouraged and advised me, and let me know what was good and what could still be improved. (I very much hope that the story of Meggie and Farid has its fair share of the book now?)
Twilight was gathering and Orpheus still wasn’t here.
The original title in German is Tintenblut.

A year has passed, but not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of Inkheart, the book whose characters came to life. For the fire-eater Dustfinger, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller to read him back, he abandons his apprentice Farid and plunges into the pages. Before long, Farid and Meggie are caught inside the book, too. But the story is much changed - and threatening to end tragically.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439554012, Mass Market Paperback)

Just a few chapters into Inkspell, Mo (a.k.a. "Silvertongue") sagely says to his daughter, "Stories never really end, Meggie, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page." A fitting meta-observation for this, the unplanned second installment in Cornelia Funke's beloved now-trilogy.

Of course, it's that sort of earnest, almost gushing veneration of books and book-loving that made the absorbing suspense-fantasy Inkheart so wonderful in the first place, with that lit-affection getting woven integrally into the plot (Inkheart being both Funke's first book in the series, and the fictitious book within that book, authored by the frustrated Fenoglio, now trapped within the book, er, within the book. Fenoglio, perhaps not surprisingly, self-referentially wishes in Inkspell that he had written a sequel to Inkheart.) Inkspell should serve as a special treat for fans of the first book, as characters from Inkheart who have found themselves in the "real world" (if there is such a thing) find themselves read back into their own mythic, word-spun world--along with some of our favorite "real-world" characters. As with the previous book, Funke's greatest accomplishment here is telling such a rich and involving (and fun!) story, while still managing sweet, subtle commentary on the nature of words and meaning. Expect a tantalizing finale, too--as Funke says, "No reader will forgive me the ending, though, without a part three." (Ages 8 and up) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:17 -0400)

When Dustfinger finds a crooked storyteller who can read him back to Inkscape, he leaves his apprentice Farid behind. Farid seeks out Meggie and the two follow him back into the enchanted book.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible