Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Inkspell (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:bluesalamanders
Title:Inkspell
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2007), Paperback, 656 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Reviewed, Amazon
Rating:***1/2
Tags:genre: fantasy, type: trade paperback, read 2007, female protagonist, age: young adult

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (2005)

English (118)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (134)
I felt this book lost all the magicalness of Inkheart, and totally stopped my interest in continuing the series further. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
This book takes off where Inkheart ended and so far is a much better book. Maybe, there are passages lost in translation but found the book entertaining and much easier to like than Inkheart. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
Sequels are meant to be poor in comparison to the first this is not. The normal characters exist in the book such as Dustfinger, Mo and Meggie but also introduces us to some new just as dynamic characters. Some are just a villainous as the ones in the first book, some characters are just as endearing.

This book like the first deals with the fantasy world of Inkworld but this time from the prospective of being in the world. This was a brilliant book that I couldn’t get enough of, which is just as well as it is the second in a trilogy

There is only thing better than finishing a good book, is the apprehension of the next one. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Feb 23, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I really enjoyed reading the first book of this series. So after I finished Tintenhertz I went to the bookstore to get this second book. It's a book about a world in a book, and as a child I thought that was wonderful. This is a book for children, or maybe they classify it as YA nowadays (I wouldn't do that), so you have to keep in mind that the writing style is a little childish sometimes. I don't think that is a problem, cause you know you can find such things while reading a book for children. Anyway, I was a bit younger when I read the book and at that time I really liked it. After that I also read the last part, which in my opinion was not as good as the other two, but maybe that was because I was 2 years older by then. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
It takes forever to get through if you stop reading it for a while and then try and go back to it. ( )
  nlm2nd | Dec 11, 2013 |

If I knew

where poems came from,

I'd go there.

—Michael Langley, Staying Alive
To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

To Rainer Strecker, who is both Silvertongue and Dustfinger. Every word in this book is just waiting for him to read it.

And of course, as almost always, last but for sure not least, for Anna, wonderful Anna, who had this story told to her on many walks, encouraged and advised me, and let me know what was good and what could still be improved. (I very much hope that the story of Meggie and Farid has its fair share of the book now?)
Twilight was gathering and Orpheus still wasn’t here.
The original title in German is Tintenblut.

A year has passed, but not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of Inkheart, the book whose characters came to life. For the fire-eater Dustfinger, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller to read him back, he abandons his apprentice Farid and plunges into the pages. Before long, Farid and Meggie are caught inside the book, too. But the story is much changed - and threatening to end tragically.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439554012, Mass Market Paperback)

Just a few chapters into Inkspell, Mo (a.k.a. "Silvertongue") sagely says to his daughter, "Stories never really end, Meggie, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page." A fitting meta-observation for this, the unplanned second installment in Cornelia Funke's beloved now-trilogy.

Of course, it's that sort of earnest, almost gushing veneration of books and book-loving that made the absorbing suspense-fantasy Inkheart so wonderful in the first place, with that lit-affection getting woven integrally into the plot (Inkheart being both Funke's first book in the series, and the fictitious book within that book, authored by the frustrated Fenoglio, now trapped within the book, er, within the book. Fenoglio, perhaps not surprisingly, self-referentially wishes in Inkspell that he had written a sequel to Inkheart.) Inkspell should serve as a special treat for fans of the first book, as characters from Inkheart who have found themselves in the "real world" (if there is such a thing) find themselves read back into their own mythic, word-spun world--along with some of our favorite "real-world" characters. As with the previous book, Funke's greatest accomplishment here is telling such a rich and involving (and fun!) story, while still managing sweet, subtle commentary on the nature of words and meaning. Expect a tantalizing finale, too--as Funke says, "No reader will forgive me the ending, though, without a part three." (Ages 8 and up) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:17 -0400)

When Dustfinger finds a crooked storyteller who can read him back to Inkscape, he leaves his apprentice Farid behind. Farid seeks out Meggie and the two follow him back into the enchanted book.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible