Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Inkspell (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Inkspell
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2005), Edition: 1st American Edition, Hardcover, 635 pages

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (2005)

English (133)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  All (1)  All (149)
I HATE CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS! 3 1/2 stars. SPOILER ALERTS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST BOOK!

The story is intense and well-written..at least I mean I liked all the description of the world of Inkheart and the new characters. but the old characters are just..barely resembling themselves.

I am very excited for the final book of the trilogy, and while this didn't compare at all to Inkheart.

Fenoglio IRRITATES me. He started off as a sweet old man, and I suppose it's fair under the unfortunate plot twists in his own story he would be stressed, but he comes off to me as arrogant and self-righteous and I'm all like "We GET you created the characters! They're still people--plots change, just like life!" Mo and the mother are well written I think, as is Dustfinger. I wanted more Dustfinger. Meggie completely changed and Farid changes to like Dustfingers puppy like in some slash fanfic or something. and there's not enough Elinor.

Then there's so many deaths and injuries they'll make you think you're going to lose them, even a TEASE death!

I mean, Mo gets near fatally shot! I said "NOOOOOOOO!" in my brain.

description

Then Dustfinger....my husband...DIES. THE FEELS! DAMN YOU FARID!

Really I found myself not really caring about Meggie's side of the story, or the authors. I wish Mo and Elinor had went into the book instead of Farid and Meggie as well. This could've worked if Meggie and Farid had stayed at home and developed their romance while Elinor's sharp tongue and Mo's magical tongue dove into the pages of Inkheart.

Altogether this was a pretty horrid, meh sequel to Inkheart. That ending made me go: "Oh really, how are you gonna accomplish that Farid? Are you the witch from Into The Woods?"

Meh. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Oct 20, 2016 |
An engaging sequel. It's classified as 'juvenile fiction', but the writing (at least in this English translation) rather belies that. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Nice book. I enjoyed it.
  Bubamdk | Sep 9, 2016 |
A great book, and my favorite of the trilogy! ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I really enjoyed reading the first book of this series. So after I finished Tintenhertz I went to the bookstore to get this second book. It's a book about a world in a book, and as a child I thought that was wonderful. This is a book for children, or maybe they classify it as YA nowadays (I wouldn't do that), so you have to keep in mind that the writing style is a little childish sometimes. I don't think that is a problem, cause you know you can find such things while reading a book for children. Anyway, I was a bit younger when I read the book and at that time I really liked it. After that I also read the last part, which in my opinion was not as good as the other two, but maybe that was because I was 2 years older by then. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

If I knew

where poems came from,

I'd go there.

—Michael Langley, Staying Alive
To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

To Rainer Strecker, who is both Silvertongue and Dustfinger. Every word in this book is just waiting for him to read it.

And of course, as almost always, last but for sure not least, for Anna, wonderful Anna, who had this story told to her on many walks, encouraged and advised me, and let me know what was good and what could still be improved. (I very much hope that the story of Meggie and Farid has its fair share of the book now?)
Twilight was gathering and Orpheus still wasn’t here.

A year has passed, but not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of Inkheart, the book whose characters came to life. For the fire-eater Dustfinger, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller to read him back, he abandons his apprentice Farid and plunges into the pages. Before long, Farid and Meggie are caught inside the book, too. But the story is much changed - and threatening to end tragically.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439554012, Mass Market Paperback)

Just a few chapters into Inkspell, Mo (a.k.a. "Silvertongue") sagely says to his daughter, "Stories never really end, Meggie, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page." A fitting meta-observation for this, the unplanned second installment in Cornelia Funke's beloved now-trilogy.

Of course, it's that sort of earnest, almost gushing veneration of books and book-loving that made the absorbing suspense-fantasy Inkheart so wonderful in the first place, with that lit-affection getting woven integrally into the plot (Inkheart being both Funke's first book in the series, and the fictitious book within that book, authored by the frustrated Fenoglio, now trapped within the book, er, within the book. Fenoglio, perhaps not surprisingly, self-referentially wishes in Inkspell that he had written a sequel to Inkheart.) Inkspell should serve as a special treat for fans of the first book, as characters from Inkheart who have found themselves in the "real world" (if there is such a thing) find themselves read back into their own mythic, word-spun world--along with some of our favorite "real-world" characters. As with the previous book, Funke's greatest accomplishment here is telling such a rich and involving (and fun!) story, while still managing sweet, subtle commentary on the nature of words and meaning. Expect a tantalizing finale, too--as Funke says, "No reader will forgive me the ending, though, without a part three." (Ages 8 and up) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

When Dustfinger finds a crooked storyteller who can read him back to Inkscape, he leaves his apprentice Farid behind. Farid seeks out Meggie and the two follow him back into the enchanted book.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,831,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible