Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Inkspell (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:Inkspell
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2005), Edition: 1st American Edition, Hardcover, 635 pages

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (2005)

English (135)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  All (1)  All (151)
In the first book of the trilogy, Inkheart, Meggie's father, Mo, has accidently "read some characters out of a book." As he reads, the characters in the book are brought into the real world. And unfortunately, most of them are most unsavory characters.
In Inkspell, Meggie, Mo and others from our world are "read into" the book. Now they must face the fictional world become real. With more unsavory villains, and plenty of adventure and unexpected plot twists. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 22, 2017 |
Quite a while ago I read the first part of the trilogy, which I liked a lot. Forgot more or less, that we have part 2 and 3 also...
Discovered them again and when I started reading, I was completely on tour in Meggie's story world.
Well told, interesting, even thrilling every once in a while. I have to admit, that I liked the parts that were set in the story world better than the ones in our own world :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 6, 2017 |
This book sounds really good. ( )
  tarynmccosker | Mar 16, 2017 |
It is a very good book. ( )
  TaylahOrgan | Mar 9, 2017 |
This book is very exciting.
I am enjoying it thoughly ( )
  ElizaTelfer | Mar 9, 2017 |

If I knew

where poems came from,

I'd go there.

—Michael Langley, Staying Alive
To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

To Rainer Strecker, who is both Silvertongue and Dustfinger. Every word in this book is just waiting for him to read it.

And of course, as almost always, last but for sure not least, for Anna, wonderful Anna, who had this story told to her on many walks, encouraged and advised me, and let me know what was good and what could still be improved. (I very much hope that the story of Meggie and Farid has its fair share of the book now?)
Twilight was gathering and Orpheus still wasn’t here.

A year has passed, but not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of Inkheart, the book whose characters came to life. For the fire-eater Dustfinger, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller to read him back, he abandons his apprentice Farid and plunges into the pages. Before long, Farid and Meggie are caught inside the book, too. But the story is much changed - and threatening to end tragically.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439554012, Mass Market Paperback)

Just a few chapters into Inkspell, Mo (a.k.a. "Silvertongue") sagely says to his daughter, "Stories never really end, Meggie, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page." A fitting meta-observation for this, the unplanned second installment in Cornelia Funke's beloved now-trilogy.

Of course, it's that sort of earnest, almost gushing veneration of books and book-loving that made the absorbing suspense-fantasy Inkheart so wonderful in the first place, with that lit-affection getting woven integrally into the plot (Inkheart being both Funke's first book in the series, and the fictitious book within that book, authored by the frustrated Fenoglio, now trapped within the book, er, within the book. Fenoglio, perhaps not surprisingly, self-referentially wishes in Inkspell that he had written a sequel to Inkheart.) Inkspell should serve as a special treat for fans of the first book, as characters from Inkheart who have found themselves in the "real world" (if there is such a thing) find themselves read back into their own mythic, word-spun world--along with some of our favorite "real-world" characters. As with the previous book, Funke's greatest accomplishment here is telling such a rich and involving (and fun!) story, while still managing sweet, subtle commentary on the nature of words and meaning. Expect a tantalizing finale, too--as Funke says, "No reader will forgive me the ending, though, without a part three." (Ages 8 and up) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

When Dustfinger finds a crooked storyteller who can read him back to Inkscape, he leaves his apprentice Farid behind. Farid seeks out Meggie and the two follow him back into the enchanted book.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,169,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible