Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Inkspell (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Member:Yfandes
Title:Inkspell
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2005), Edition: Translatio, Hardcover

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (2005)

English (140)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (156)
Man, I had forgotten so much about this book. I remembered the Adderhead to be sure, but not Firefox and Slasher... I'd forgotten entirely about the bulk of the Inkworld characters (including, I am sad to admit, Cosimo and a good deal of Resa's character.) I'm embarrassed that it all slipped my mind so easily.

Many complaints have been lodged about the relationship between Meggie and Farid, and I have to agree. It felt too rushed to me (couldn't it have been present a bit more in [b:Inkheart|28194|Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)|Cornelia Funke|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328866790s/28194.jpg|2628323] if it was going to be such a large point in [b:Inkspell|3334563|The Inkheart Trilogy Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath (Inkworld, #1-3)|Cornelia Funke|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1346484626s/3334563.jpg|6874450]?) I was tempted to rate this book four stars, especially due to Fegnolio and his... handling of things. The last act of the book however, with the Castle of Night, Fegnolio's plan ans how it all turns out... It redeemed it for me. I love the character's too much to downgrade this book based on some minor annoyances, and all in all it held up rather well in spite of how much I had forgotten.

Why on earth did I remember a glass man shattering? That didn't happen... ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
What a painful, tedious book. And it's SO self-congratulatory. Meggie and company are trapped *within* the titular novel from the first book and the author is trapped there with them. He keeps praising himself for creating such wonderful characters (flat, personality-less, cliched characters) which is, of course, just Cornelia Funke praising the characters *she* created. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 23, 2018 |
Although I think this series is too graphic and dark to be included in children's literature lists, if I had a teen I'd much rather they read this than smut like the Twilight books. Great for getting YA readers into fantasy/magical genre. ( )
  knp4597 | Mar 19, 2018 |
This book was the sequel to Inkheart but really completely different. Most of the action takes place in the Inkworld and Meggie isn't the main character anymore. Other characters, such as Fenoglio and Dustfinger, are developed. I found myself liking Dustfinger more and more as the book continued and liking Fenoglio less and less. Great story--really pulls you in. Just a warning though--this book doesn't do well as a stand alone book. There isn't much of a resolution, it's more of a "just wait for Inkdeath". I'm glad Inkdeath is already out so I go straight to reading it, otherwise I would be very frustrated! Good book. I wouldn't recommend it for younger readers (6th grade or lower) because of language and a few adult situations (they aren't explicit, just there). ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Desperate to return to his own world, Dustfinger finds a reader, a pale, flabby oaf with a magnificent voice, who’s willing to send him and his apprentice fire-eater Farid there—for a price. But when Farid is left behind, he goes to Meggie in the hopes that she has inherited her father’s gift and can send him after Dustfinger. Because she so wants to see for herself the exotic world that her mother has described to her, she takes them both there and immediately regrets her decision.

In Inkheart characters from the book sprang to life in this world. In its sequel people from this world are transported to the richly imaginative fantasy world of the book. Funke’s characters are vivid and distinctive in both worlds and Fraser’s superb acting ability makes this an excellent realization of her work. ( )
  MaowangVater | Jan 27, 2018 |

If I knew

where poems came from,

I'd go there.

—Michael Langley, Staying Alive
To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

To Rainer Strecker, who is both Silvertongue and Dustfinger. Every word in this book is just waiting for him to read it.

And of course, as almost always, last but for sure not least, for Anna, wonderful Anna, who had this story told to her on many walks, encouraged and advised me, and let me know what was good and what could still be improved. (I very much hope that the story of Meggie and Farid has its fair share of the book now?)
Twilight was gathering and Orpheus still wasn’t here.

A year has passed, but not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of Inkheart, the book whose characters came to life. For the fire-eater Dustfinger, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller to read him back, he abandons his apprentice Farid and plunges into the pages. Before long, Farid and Meggie are caught inside the book, too. But the story is much changed - and threatening to end tragically.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439554012, Mass Market Paperback)

Just a few chapters into Inkspell, Mo (a.k.a. "Silvertongue") sagely says to his daughter, "Stories never really end, Meggie, even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page." A fitting meta-observation for this, the unplanned second installment in Cornelia Funke's beloved now-trilogy.

Of course, it's that sort of earnest, almost gushing veneration of books and book-loving that made the absorbing suspense-fantasy Inkheart so wonderful in the first place, with that lit-affection getting woven integrally into the plot (Inkheart being both Funke's first book in the series, and the fictitious book within that book, authored by the frustrated Fenoglio, now trapped within the book, er, within the book. Fenoglio, perhaps not surprisingly, self-referentially wishes in Inkspell that he had written a sequel to Inkheart.) Inkspell should serve as a special treat for fans of the first book, as characters from Inkheart who have found themselves in the "real world" (if there is such a thing) find themselves read back into their own mythic, word-spun world--along with some of our favorite "real-world" characters. As with the previous book, Funke's greatest accomplishment here is telling such a rich and involving (and fun!) story, while still managing sweet, subtle commentary on the nature of words and meaning. Expect a tantalizing finale, too--as Funke says, "No reader will forgive me the ending, though, without a part three." (Ages 8 and up) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

When Dustfinger finds a crooked storyteller who can read him back to Inkscape, he leaves his apprentice Farid behind. Farid seeks out Meggie and the two follow him back into the enchanted book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,165,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible