dismiss

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke

Inkspell (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Cornelia Funke

Series: Inkheart Trilogy (2)

8,619159636 (4.01)267
Now thirteen, Meggie "reads" herself into Inkworld, where she, her family, and the characters in the book face chaos and danger as the original creator of the world frantically tries to redirect the story.
Member:Yfandes
Title:Inkspell
Authors:Cornelia Funke
Info:The Chicken House (2005), Edition: Translatio, Hardcover

Inkspell by Cornelia Funke (2005)

English (145)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (159)
hb
  5083mitzi | Apr 26, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

I really enjoyed reading the first book of this series. So after I finished Tintenhertz I went to the bookstore to get this second book. It's a book about a world in a book, and as a child I thought that was wonderful. This is a book for children, or maybe they classify it as YA nowadays (I wouldn't do that), so you have to keep in mind that the writing style is a little childish sometimes. I don't think that is a problem, cause you know you can find such things while reading a book for children. Anyway, I was a bit younger when I read the book and at that time I really liked it. After that I also read the last part, which in my opinion was not as good as the other two, but maybe that was because I was 2 years older by then. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
** spoiler alert ** Seriously, spoiler...***********************************************​

That witch...that sadistic, treacherous, evil witch! She killed him! Killed him off! There I was, in bed, at 10:30 last night, crying my eyes out while reading the last few chapters...(I cry at books every bit as much as movies, if they're any good.)

If she doesn't make it right in Inkdeath, I swear I'll never read anything by that wretched woman ever again!

Mentoring witch! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
A differenza del primo libro, ora la storia è rimasta in sospeso.. non resisterò a lungo prima di prendere il terzo!
Consigliato ma dopo la lettura di Cuore di Inchiostro. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Cornelia Funke's Inkworld trilogy inspires me. There is something to the simplicity of the idea that things can be read out of (or into) a book that tugs at my imagination. Unfortunately, Funke's writing style has always been difficult for me. She writes very slowly, and I have a hard time sitting in one place for too long. After struggling through both Inkheart and Reckless, I decided to try the audiobook version of Inkspell.

If you're like me and you want to LOVE Cornelia Funke, but struggle with her writing and pacing, an audiobook is the way to go. This one is read by Brendan Fraser (who played Mo in the Inkheart film) and he does a pretty good dramatic reading. Like Silvertongue, he draws you in, and I think that made it a lot easier for me to enjoy this book.

The Inkworld is pretty much what you'd expect in a cookie-cutter fantasy world. There are forests and kings and faeries and a little bit of magic. I love worlds like these, and it's built well, but it's filled with tropes. I'm okay with that - this is my genre, these are the worlds I like to disappear into the most.

As for the characters, there is growth and change, but it is VERY. VERY. SLOW. Farid's character begins to come more into his own, though I am still generally unimpressed with the ways he handles anger and sadness (although they make him a more faceted characters, so I suppose that good). There is a sweet little relationship blossoming between Farid and Meggie, which I enjoyed watching. Meggie herself feels far older than her age (always has), so that is still something to get past. Silvertongue himself is a frustrating character for me in Inkspell, because I really like him, but he's incapacitated most the story and we see very little from him. His POV, as well as Dustfinger's, are so painfully slow that even though I like the characters, I wanted to get out of their heads so the story would move along a bit.

And that's a running theme here - the world is so beautiful and the characters so interesting, but the writing just drags on and on and on. Even with the good narration, I found myself impatient at times. If I had been reading this in hardcopy, I honestly might have DNF'd it for the pacing, which would be sad, because I really liked the ending and will be listening to (definitely not reading) Inkdeath.

Actual review is a generous 3.5 stars, and it all comes from the worldbuilding and character potential. ( )
  Morteana | Oct 13, 2018 |

If I knew

where poems came from,

I'd go there.

—Michael Langley, Staying Alive
To Brendan Fraser, whose voice is the heart of this book. Thanks for inspiration and enchantment. Mo wouldn't have stepped into my writing room without you, and this story would never have been told.

To Rainer Strecker, who is both Silvertongue and Dustfinger. Every word in this book is just waiting for him to read it.

And of course, as almost always, last but for sure not least, for Anna, wonderful Anna, who had this story told to her on many walks, encouraged and advised me, and let me know what was good and what could still be improved. (I very much hope that the story of Meggie and Farid has its fair share of the book now?)
Twilight was gathering and Orpheus still wasn’t here.

A year has passed, but not a day goes by without Meggie thinking of Inkheart, the book whose characters came to life. For the fire-eater Dustfinger, the need to return to the tale has become desperate. When he finds a crooked storyteller to read him back, he abandons his apprentice Farid and plunges into the pages. Before long, Farid and Meggie are caught inside the book, too. But the story is much changed - and threatening to end tragically.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible