Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson

Jacob Have I Loved (original 1980; edition 1990)

by Katherine Paterson

Member:livebug
Title:Jacob Have I Loved
Authors:Katherine Paterson
Info:HarperCollins (1990), Paperback, 256 pages

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson (1980)

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly (DimitraDaisy)
    The World Is My Eggshell by Philippa Greene Mulford (bookel)
    The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (libelulla1)
    libelulla1: Both narrators are strong young women struggling to be themselves in a man's world.
    A Trick of Light by Barbara Corcoran (bookel)
    I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: Another coming-of-age story dealing with sisters finding their own identities and searching for love.
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (corneggs)

English (53)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All (55)
Such a disappointment. As I read this book, I became involved in the story of a twin who feels as if she's not appreciated or loved as much as her younger sibling. However, the whining and paranoid rants by the teen-aged narrator start to get wearing, and eventually ruined the book for me. It's too bad, as life on the island was interesting, with descriptions of the daily routine of crabbing or fishing well done, and a nice touch. Not recommended unless you appreciate self-involved, pity-me, "it's all God's fault" type of narration. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 21, 2017 |
I recognize the literary merits of this book, but personally, I didn't care much for it.

The story is narrated by Louise, who is terribly jealous (with fair justification) of her twin sister Caroline. Caroline is talented, personable, and gets all the attention. Louise is plain, untalented, unladylike, and not as personable either. I sympathized with Louise for the way she was relegated to second place her whole life... but at the same time, even as the narrator, she didn't come off as greatly likable. I believe that was what I disliked most.

There were two or three chapters that were about, (although discussed is YA appropriate language), Louise feeling a sexual attraction to a 70 year old man who was a friendly neighbor. Thankfully, the man neither noticed nor reciprocated her interest... but I found that subject matter a bit unsettling all the same.

The last few chapters brought Louise all the way into adulthood. Somehow that didn't feel right. Having read the whole book as the thoughts of a 14 year old, it seemed strange to have her reach 30 something before the end.

It's well written. It won the Newberry, and I may be deserving. But as a matter of taste, I didn't care much for it. ( )
  fingerpost | Nov 24, 2016 |
Summary: A story about sibling rivalry between a set of twin sisters. Sara Louise is trying to find her place beside her sister Caroline. Sara Louise shows special interest in her new neighbor who used to be a man of the sea, but was condemned by their small sea community when he left town. Sara Louise (referred to as Wheezy)narrates the story in finding herself and learning to love her sister in a different way.

Personal Review: I enjoyed the book, but I am thinking it might be a little over the head of the intended audience. Sara Louise is in love with a man as old as her grandmother and I think the target audience might not understand the implications.

Classroom Extension:
1. Journal Prompt with a description of how the student imagines their twin would be if they had one.

2. Create a new ending for the book, in a two page narrative.
  kerifreeman | Apr 19, 2016 |
Caroline is beautiful, musically gifted, and good; she is the shining star of a small town on the water. The story is told by her twin sister Louise, who is almost sick with jealousy and longing. Louise is not a flawless person, but I loved her just the same: her work-roughened hands, her terrible puns, her puzzlement at her anger when a friend falls in love with her sister. It's a good book about complicated family relationships, and Paterson never pulls back on showing the truth of it. In the end, both sisters manage to break free and become their own people.

wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Twin girls Caroline and Sara: the beautiful fragile one and the plain hardy one who has to learn to overcome her jealousy and become proud of her own gifts. The meaning of the title is not immediately apparent unless you are a Bible adept, but is developed through the narrative. The life of east coast fishermen at Chesapeake Bay is pictured well.
For mid to older teens. ( )
  librisissimo | Aug 29, 2015 |

Katherine Patersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Järnefelt, IrmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mijn, Jet van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChristinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Gene Inyard Namovicz
I wish it were EMMA, but, then,
you already have two or three copies of that.
With thanks and love.
As soon as the snow melts, I will go to Rass and fetch my mother.

Feeling deprived all her life of schooling, friends, mother, and even her name by her twin sister, Louise finally begins to find her identity.

Esau have I hated . . .

Sara Louise Bradshaw is sick and tired of her beautiful twin Caroline. Ever since they were born, Caroline has been the pretty one, the talented one, the better sister. Even now, Caroline seems to take everything: Louise's friends, their parents' love, her dreams for the future.

For once in her life, Louise wants to be the special one. But in order to do that, she must first figure out who she is . . . and find a way to make a place for herself outside her sister's shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:26 -0400)

Having felt deprived all her life of schooling, friends, mother, and even her name by her twin sister, Louise finally begins to find her identity.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,225,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible