Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery

Jane of Lantern Hill (1937)

by L. M. Montgomery

English (27)  Finnish (1)  All languages (28)
Eleven-year-old Jane Stuart has had a rather gloomy childhood growing up with her beloved but distant mother and her cruel grandmother in her grandmother's massive and grim house on Gay Street in Toronto. Shortly after learning that her father isn't dead but only estranged from her mother, Jane receives an invitation to spend the summer with him on Prince Edward Island. While Jane desperately doesn't want to leave her mother, when she arrives in PEI she discovers how different her life can be and she begins to dream of a life where can be Jane of Lantern Hill all year round.

While there's nothing earth-shattering or surprising in this simple tale, I absolutely adored it from start to finish. Montgomery's prose is as evocative as ever, beautifully conjuring the experiences of living in the country on PEI. While Jane reads a bit old for her age and some of her skills come a bit easy, it's also rewarding to see her grow as a person. Utterly charming, Jane has now taken second place after Anne Shirley has my favourite of Montgomery's creations. ( )
  MickyFine | May 24, 2019 |
3.5 stars

Jane has been living in Toronto with her rich grandmother and her mother as long as she can remember. She doesn’t even realize her father is still alive and living on Prince Edward Island, until a letter comes asking if she can stay with him for a summer. Her (hateful!) grandmother hates Jane’s father, and all Jane knows is to hate him, and she doesn’t want to go. But, when she meets her dad, she is pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed this! LM Montgomery’s books are pretty simple, and the end was tied up with a nice bow, but I still enjoyed it, overall. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jane seemed too perfect with some flaws thrown in so she wouldn't be too perfect. I didn't care about most of the characters at all, really.
I enjoyed that Jane lives in an emotionally abusive household and learned to stand up for herself. The plot has a fair bit of focus on that as well as the whole ''mystery'' of her parents' split.
And this didn't have the same style of writing I have come to expect from Montgomery, I think.
Overall it's an enjoyable read, and I think great just for a relaxing summer read, but I don't think it was as good as the Anne or Emily books.

I also noticed some errors in the text (in this edition at least)
Pg. 89: Missed period ''...delighter her Everything''
Pg. 118: ''Snow beam'' instead of ''Snowbeam''
Pg. 138: ''neve'' instead of ''never''
Pg. 160: ''For away'' instead of ''far away''
Pg. 276: ''Shed'' instead of ''she'd'' ( )
  leoithne | May 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of Jane of Lantern Hill in exchange for an honest review.

I usually love reading books set in Canada, especially ones set in cities I have lived in and know. There are parts of this story I enjoyed such as classist grandmother and the description of her unwelcoming home in Toronto. And, the parts where Jane finds out more about herself while living on PEI for the summer – barefoot and free.

However, there are parts that are so outdated that the story left me feeling flat. The verb ‘jew’ was used i.e. her father did not jew down the price of the cottage. Unlike the classism, this term was not unpacked for the reader. Also, I found the ending a bit too ‘Disney’. Everything worked out beautifully and they lived happily ever after. For those reasons, I would not recommend it to younger readers. ( )
  jwyss | May 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jane of Lantern Hill has all the requisite characteristics of a Montgomery book - a lonely child, proud rich older character, misunderstandings and grudges held over a long time, and of course, some Prince Edward Island. I've read a lot of Montgomery but didn't remember this one, although I could predict a lot of the plot. Not that this was a problem - it's what I like about Montgomery's books.

Jane Stuart is living in Toronto with her mother and grandmother, lonely and unhappy, although wise. When her father requests Jane for the summer on PEI, Jane is surprised and reluctant as she didn't even know he was alive. She falls under the spell of PEI in the summer which is exactly what happens here. I loved her delight with the environment and characters surrounding her as she threw herself into her new life. This changes Jane as she returns to Toronto and cannot be cowed by her grandmother as easily.

I loved Jane's appreciation of her simple life in PEI, keeping house and making friends, loving the ocean and the sky. Montgomery follows her tried and true storyline and of course, a *spoiler* happy ending. I enjoyed by time with Jane and the nature of PEI. ( )
1 vote raidergirl3 | May 6, 2018 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gumster, J.D.A. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of "LUCKY" the charming affectionate comrade of fourteen years
Gay Street, so Jane always throught, did not live up to its name. It was, she felt certain, the most melancholy street in Toronto...though, to be sure, she had not seen a great many of the Toronto streets in her circumscribed comings and goings of eleven years.

For as long as she could remember, Jane Stuart and her mother lived with her grandmother in a dreary mansion in Toronto. Jane always believed her father was dead--until she accidentally learned he was alive and well and living on Prince Edward Island. When Jane spends the summer at his cottage on Lantern Hill, doing all the wonderful things Grandmother deems unladylike, she dares to dream that there could be such a house back in Toronto...a house where she, Mother, and Father could live together without Grandmother directing their lives--a house that could be called home.

Available online at Project Gutenberg Australia:

A young girl living with her mother and tyrannical grandmother in Toronto learns that her father is still alive on Prince Edward Island.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

L. M. Montgomery's book Jane of Lantern Hill was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,401,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible