Joy in the Morning (Perennial Classics) by…

Joy in the Morning (Perennial Classics) (original 1963; edition 2000)

by Betty Smith

Member:amanaceerdh
Title:Joy in the Morning (Perennial Classics)
Authors:Betty Smith
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2000), Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:have read/own

Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith (1963)

I loved this book almost as much as "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". It was every bit as absorbing and hard to put down - but I was less attached to the characters, I think because it took place over the course of a year instead of several years, and there wasn't as much history. It was a book that was very much stuck in one moment. Still, I loved all of the background characters and the story in general was sweet. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
I read this several times over the space of a couple of summers. I remember liking it a lot, but not enough to dig out and re-read. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read this years ago and enjoyed it, but picked it up again after a friend commented that she always read it as a sequel, of sorts, to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I can see the comparisons (and it helps that both books are semi-autobiographical), but I don't see enough similarities to say we're following Francie--or even her little sister Annie.

Still, you can't help but root for the Annie and Carl of this book, despite their hardships and flaws. Somehow they make it all work despite who they both are, because their love for each other makes them accepting of those flaws. I do hope it works out for them, and for their new baby. They have a hard life, but they have each other, and things will likely get easier now that Carl's finished law school. One can hope that for them, anyway. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my all-time favorite books and I’ve read it, oh, half a dozen times, so I was interested to see how Joy in the Morning would compare.

Set in the late 1920s, Joy in the Morning begins when Annie, aged 18, comes to a small Midwestern college town where her fiancée, Carl, is in law school. The novel opens with their marriage in the county courthouse, and follows the couple through their first year or so of marriage. It’s a struggle, because Carl and Annie are basically children themselves, for all the ways in which Carl tries to appear more adult-like.

Annie is endearing; she’s ignorant but a voracious reader, reading everything from Babbitt to War and Peace. Betty Smith’s novels are pretty autobiographical; Joy in the Morning is (unofficially) a kind of sequel to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn—certainly there are many similarities. Primary among them is the fact that Annie is a lot like Francie—childlike, optimistic, and always hopeful that things will be better. They both come from the same backgrounds and have similar kinds of mothers. Even the story of the sailor and the caul is identical in both books. The difference between them is that Annie is growing up in this novel—she goes through a significant amount of change as she makes the transition from childhood to adulthood. And she’s thrown into adulthood rather fast…

Because this novel is so autobiographical, Annie is the stronger of the two main characters; although the story isn’t written in the first person, we basically see everything from her point of view. This is a realistic book, depicting the characters and their straitened without rose-colored glasses. Although not married myself and lacking any background with which to sympathize, I enjoyed this book. However, I still don’t think it’s quite as good as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. ( )
2 vote Kasthu | May 27, 2012 |
I loved this book, and was well under the age of 30 when I first read it. The story is semi-autobiographical, and a book doesn't have to be depressing to be real or good. This is a beautiful book that I appreciate it more each time I read it. ( )
  Cyberlibrariannyc | Apr 2, 2011 |
Weeping may endure for a night
but joy cometh in the morning.

--Psalm 30:5
It was an out-of-date town hall in an up-to-date progressive college town in a midwestern state.

In Brooklyn, New York, in 1927, Carl Brown and Annie McGairy meet and fall in love. Though only eighteen, Annie travels alone to the Midwestern university where Carl is studying law to marry him. Little did they know how difficult their first year of marriage would be, in a faraway place with little money and few friends. But Carl and Annie come to realize that the struggles and uncertainty of poverty and hardship can be overcome by the strength of a loving, loyal relationship. An unsentimental yet uplifting story, Joy in the Morning is a timeless and radiant novel of marriage and young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:37 -0400)

The story of a young couple from Brooklyn who marry young, have little money, and face bitter parental opposition, but are determined to make something of their life together. "In Brooklyn, New York, in 1927, Carl Brown and Annie McGairy meet and fall in love. Though only eighteen, Annie travels alone to the Midwestern university where Carl is studying law to marry him. Little did they know how difficult their first year of marriage would be, in a faraway place with little money and few friends. But Carl and Annie come to realize that their greatest sources of strength, loyalty, and love, will help them make it through."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible