Be Careful What You Joust For by Ryan Hauge

Be Careful What You Joust For

by Ryan Hauge

1041,278,680 (4.5)None

I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review..

Great story with a terrific ending!

Overall I found the book a very promising debut with great character building and an outstanding plot. It is a very easy read, but eventually draws you in and keeps your interest throughout.. I eagerly loik forward to reading the sequel!

In terms of characters, some are likeable (Rixin) and others not so much (annoying Oriana), but most are well developed and most importantly interesting. In my opinion, the character that really stands out is Terric. He is immature and makes stupid decisions, but I could easily relate to his struggles and ultimately found myself rooting for him above the other characters. I can't wait to see how his story continues to develop after an unexpected finish to this book..

In terms of negatives. the first few chapters are slow going and mainly serve the purpose of character building. However, the storytelling quickly picked up pace, even if the jousting tournament takes forever to get to. The ending is worth waiting for however. I was initially put off a bit by the simplicity of the writing style (the best line in the book is probably the first), but as the book progressed I began to appreciate the ease of following the storyline and the world building, House rivalries, and plot quickly overcame any shortcomings.

I was reading this at the same time as another much hyped fantasy book recently released, and despite a simpler writing style I eventually gravitated more towards reading this book mainly due to the story. In the end, that is what is most important!

Overall I give it 4 and a half stars, but I think the author has the potential to evolve his writing style into a 5 star. ( )
  Dave068 | Apr 16, 2018 |
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review..

Great story with a terrific ending!

Dave068 | Apr 16, 2018 |
In Be Careful What You Joust For, the setting for the Pentavia series is a middle ages type of setting but in an alternate world. In this land there is a divide between those who follow Arwin and those who don’t. Arwin is a religious figure and he is mentioned, a lot. The House of Hornbolt is led by Garrion who a devout follower of Arwin and he and his family would prefer that peace be spread throughout the land. There are others though from other houses who are determined that a war should be started and that is the crux of the pressure with the jousting event. The winner will be placed in an enormous position of power and can wield that power for either peace or war.

There is a lot going on against the backdrop of an upcoming jousting tournament. The host for the tournament is House Hornbolt and preparing for this tournament will bring unresolved past events to light for both Garrion and Isolda. It also puts pressure on the rest of the household to accept their future roles. The only thing is that not everyone is satisfied with the path they are forced to walk. Both Terric and Oriana have major life events associated with the outcome of the tournament that neither one is sure that they are ready for. As past events are revealed, mysteries resurface, and choices are made, it becomes clear that the house of Hornbolt will never be the same again.

This story is told from the different viewpoints of the main characters, so you get an in depth understanding of the inner turmoil for all them. The transitions between the POVs are nicely done and you clearly know who is speaking. All the characters in this story have some level of depth. Isolda was a character that I was most excited because she led a double life, and a dangerous one at that. I was hyped up about her potential but it really didn’t lead anywhere. The world development itself is pretty sparse with details, the main focus is on the characters and their interactions but it is nicely done and I didn’t feel that it was necessarily lacking. It was just a straightforward read.

If you are considering choosing this book based on the title, this story does work up to the jousting tournament but there is actually very little in the way of jousting. There is plenty of talk about it and training for it, but the event actually happens at the end of the book. If you were to switch the word ‘joust’ with the word ‘wish’ then the title would be more spot on (although I like the title and it was what first attracted me to the story). Be Careful What You Joust For is truly about desires and where those desires can take you for both good and for bad. It is a nicely written story that is enjoyable to read.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Author, Ryan Hauge. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Apr 11, 2018 |
The land of Pentavia has been peaceful for some time but it’s a fragile peace that may soon fall apart. A jousting tournament is about to take place in Treland and the greatest knights from all over the world will be there. The stakes are high as the winner will have the power to declare or prevent a war from happening.

House Hornbolt is hosting the tournament and the family is about to go through some major changes. The oldest son will be fighting in the tournament and is favored to win, the second born son will be taking an oath to be a priest in the name of Arwin which he actually wants no part of and the eldest daughter will be married off to one of the eligible suitors competing in the joust. There’s a lot riding on the results of this joust and there are forces at work behind the scenes that’s affecting everyone involved. The only thing we know for sure is that the world will never be the same when the winner of the tournament is crowned.

The description I just gave for Be Careful What You Joust For by Ryan Hauge and Ivy Smoak isn’t a very good one. There is a lot going on in this book and if I wanted to mention everything about the plot this review would be 10,000 words. This book has a complex plot set in a complex fantasy world and no matter what kind of story you like to read you will find something in this tale that you’ll like. A story about love, power, religion, politics, family, tradition and loyalty, it’s all in this book. I love how the beginning of this epic adventure hooks you by stating that each respectable joust should have at least three deaths.

My favorite part of this book is how members of the Hornbolt family seem to be playing roles in society but in reality are something different. Isoloda is the wife to Garrion and unknown to anyone else she is also a crime lord going by the name Lady Marsilia. Her son Terric is being forced into the priesthood while he really wants to be like his brother Marcus and become a knight. We also have Garrion who has a secret and unbeknownst to him his wife suspects him of a murder and a theft that could change the whole kingdom. The Hornbolt family all have secrets they are keeping from each other and they are still trying to stick to their traditions. Beneath the surface they don’t fully embrace those traditions but despite that they still love each other.

If I had any complaint about this book it would be that it’s a little light on action. That being said I was so into everyone’s story and enjoying the fantasy world that Ryan and Ivy built that the lack of action was easily overlooked. I also loved the fact that the story didn’t go where I thought it would go. The characters are not black and white, at times they act like heroes and at other times they act like villains and that’s what makes this book so entertaining. That’s also what makes this fantasy feel like reality, no person is always good and no person is always bad. The ending of this book is left open and I’m anxiously awaiting the sequel. ( )
  dwatson2 | Mar 20, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Ryan Hauge's book Be Careful What You Joust For was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Ryan Hauge is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,086,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible