Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy

Light a Penny Candle (1982)

by Maeve Binchy

English (19)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
Maeve Binchey's debut novel and a real winner. Loved the characters of Elizabeth and Aisling. Elizabeth from England goes to Ireland during World War II snd stays with O'Connor family. Elizabeth and Aisling become best friends. Together they endure years of writing back and forth with letters filled with joy, sorrow and dreams. Read this book to find out more about both their lives. ( )
  EadieB | Sep 27, 2018 |
This was the first book of hers I ever read and I recently reread it. Not as good as the Glass Lake but still a good book. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I wanted some 'light' reading to balance some of the heavier books I've been reading. I *thought* this book would have some 'sensus catholicus' about it. Nope, not at all. If this is what the rest of her books are like, mindless dumb-downed Catholicism (follow the rules because, I don't know, you're supposed to follow the rules), I don't think I'll bother. Oh well... ( )
  catquilt74 | Apr 16, 2017 |
I had wondered if I had read this before - I had. I knew Elizabeth would get an abortion.

When I got to the part:

"Do you remember that Doctor Lynch years ago? I honestly do remember people said the it was his wife's fault because she was a sour-puss and she didn't give him a good home. She'd dead now but I'd like to go to the churchyard and dig her up and apologize to her for ever having thought that."

I knew I had read it before.

I didn't remember the ending & still enjoyed it. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |
This is a well-written and fast-moving novel about Aisling and Elizabeth, two ten-year-old girls thrown together by the war, who develop a lifelong friendship.

There are believable people, with both Ireland and England in the war years realistically portrayed. It's a long book - 600 pages - but I found it almost compulsive reading. However there is a rather depressing and unpleasant ending, meaning I didn't enjoy it as much as I had expected to. It would have been four stars without the final section.

I felt much the same on re-reading 17 years after the first time. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Strüh, ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WVK-groepTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dem geliebten Gordon mit großer Zuneigung gewidmet
Im Saal des Coroners herrschte eine sehr nüchterne und sachliche Atmosphäre.

As a child, Elizabeth White was sent from her war-torn London home to a safer life in the small Irish town of Kilgarret. It was there, in the crowded, chaotic O'Connor household, that she met Aisling-who would become her very best friend, sharing her pet kitten and secretly teaching her the intricacies of Catholicism. Aisling's boldness brought Elizabeth out of her proper shell; later, her support carried Elizabeth through the painful end of her parents' chilly marriage. In return, Elizabeth's friendship helped Aisling endure her own unsatisfying marriage to a raging alcoholic. Through the years, they always believed they could overcome any conflict, conquer any hardship. They believed they could survive anything, as long as they had each other. Now they're about to find out if they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:51 -0400)

The chaotic events of World War II force Elizabeth White, a young English girl, to escape to Ireland, where she shares a friendship with Aisling O'Connor, with whom she endures years of change, joy, sorrow, betrayals, and an unbreakable bond.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,526,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible