The Cost of Living by Deborah Levy

The Cost of Living

by Deborah Levy

Bits of exciting & tender writing, buried within words that didn't connect with me, nor, seemeingly, with itself (IMHO). I have been very disappointed in this much-touted author. This is the first one I've actually finished. ( )
  c_why | May 14, 2019 |
There's great pleasure in this quirky and brief (134 pages) narrative of a woman's life after her marriage goes under. She finds a new place to live, a sixth floor walkup; rides an e-bike (electric); sets up her writing space in an unheated wreck of a garden shed; and reminds herself daily that her marriage was not worth extraordinary rescue efforts. It's like hanging out with a new Brit friend who's a fantastic storyteller - you're just swept along into her everyday life, which is rendered bright and shining by her rueful words. The opening line sets the tone: "As Orson Welles told us, if we want a happy ending, it depends on where we stop the story."

Quotes: "I will never stop grieving for my long-held wish for enduring love that does not reduce its major players to something less than they are."

"To separate from love is to live a risk-free life. To live without love is a waste of time."

"When a father does the things he needs to do in the world, we understand it is his due. If a mother does the things she needs to do in the world, we feel she has abandoned us. It is a miracle to survive our mixed messages, written in society's most poison ink."

"I realized that was what I wanted after my mother's death. More life. I somehow thought she would die and still be alive. I would like to think she is somewhere in that distant sound that resembles the sea in which she taught me to swim, but she is not there." ( )
  froxgirl | Jul 28, 2018 |

"[This book] explores the subtle erasure of women's names, spaces, and stories in the modern everyday. In this living autobiography ... [the author] critiques the roles that society assigns to us, and reflects on the politics of breaking with the usual gendered rituals"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,735,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible