High Cotton (Bucklin Family Reunion) by…

High Cotton (Bucklin Family Reunion)

by Debby Mayne

1151,149,121 (4.33)None

I was very excited to read this book by a wonderful author. The thought of going to a family reunion when I was younger made me ill to think about. My family was not close and family reunions usually meant fights and overall chaos. This book is nothing like that. I loved how everyone in the book talked about the reunion and seemed to be happy to go. Of course there are always the relatives that feel the need to brag. To me its like being at a class reunion. Everyone trying to out do the other. It does make for some laughs and good times.

The characters were fun to get to know and if I had to pick a favorite it would be Puddin. I love her name and my heart went out to her. She has some self esteem issues and I wanted to hug her and tell her she is perfect just the way she is. I love the twists in the book and secrets that slowly come out . The southern theme in the book is perfect. I'm from the south and we sure love our sweet tea and get together's. It's true we love to celebrate and have a good time. There are a few surprises in the book which were fun to find out. I loved the foods mentioned in the story and best of all this is a new series, so we will get to know this family really well. It's time to grab a glass of sweet tea and settle in for a charming story.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Apr 30, 2018 |
High Cotton is the latest in first in the "Bucklin Family Reunion Series", a Christian contemporary series about a Southern family who is crazy about family reunions. The story is told from the perspective of few different females in the family and alternates between them. From the young, twenty- something wealthy entrepreneurial twins, Sarah and Sally, to Shay, in her 30's and still looking for Mr. Right, to Puddin' and Missy, both been married for a couple decades each and having their own relationship challenges. The story culminates with the family reunion, a local long-standing tradition that is famous in that area for its antics and people who aren't related long to go to, attended by all the nosey busybody Bucklin relations, each trying to outdo the other with the culinary delights they bring and stories of their own successes. I thought the faith message twining through the tale nicely done and shown the Biblical guidelines practiced in a contemporary real-life way. I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review-- thank you! ( )
  Stacy_Krout | Apr 9, 2018 |
Get ready for some southern sass in Debby Mayne’s novel, High Cotton, the first book in the Bucklin Family Reunion Series. Four women of various ages and life experiences tell their stories and reveal that life in small town Pinewood, Mississippi isn’t that much different than your town or mine. Sure, there may be a different twang in their voice, but women are women all over. If you like women’s fiction with wit and wisdom, then this novel is for you.

High Cotton is told in the first person voice of four Bucklin women — Shay, Puddin’, Missy, and Sally. Alternating chapters follow the days leading up to yet another family reunion. The women have little in common except their family connections. Shay is a successful and single career woman, Puddin’ is a stay at home mom with an oops baby still in the nest, Missy is a discontented housewife, and Sally is a twenty-something with a thriving Etsy business. The women struggle with a variety of issues, but rely on each other and their family for support.

There really is something for everyone in High Cotton, and I wager that you’ll see yourself somewhere in the pages. These women are part sweet, part sassy, and pure Southern in their views. But . . . as they look for independence, love, fulfillment, and connection, they will resonate with those who have never set foot across the Mason-Dixon line. They are also part of a huge and quirky family, a family of definite opinions. I bet you have run across those characters too! 😉 Faith is a big part of the women’s lives and is woven naturally throughout the story.

You’ll laugh (sometimes out loud) at the antics of the Bucklin family as you journey with Shay, Puddin’, Missy, and Sally. And you’ll enjoy every minute!

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to Gilead Publishing for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Apr 5, 2018 |
The first word that comes to mind about this book is delightful, yes and the pages flew, a real fast read.
We with the author’s help are invited to a family reunion, the Bucklin Family, to be exact, and before we go we get to meet some of this expansive kinfolk up close and personal.
You will find yourself really liking some, others will grow on you, and by the end of the book some are still questionable.
There is a bit of clean romance here, and so very enjoyable, whether it is among the young single cousins, or the old married folks.
Generations are going on here from preschool to grandparents, and these people do reunions up right, everyone brings their best food, as true southerners, and we are deep in the southern Mississippi!
I loved being with most of this family, and really can’t wait for the next book, I want to spend more time here!

I received this book through Lit Fuse Publicity Book Tours, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Mar 27, 2018 |
It's been quite sometime since I read a Debby Mayne novel, and I must tell you that I so glad to be brought back to her talented work. When I read the blurb of High Cotton, I knew it was one that I needed to pull me out of my book funk, and that's just what it did! To me, that says a a lot about the book and the person writing it.

Being southern born and bred, and loving anything that has to do with drinking sweet tea from a mason jar( I mean, really? How perfect is that cover!?), I really related to Shay. Her character was quirky, loving and I really enjoyed walking beside her in this story, watching how she handled things. Life isn't always easy in a family of people that you love but drive you absolutely, utterly wonky, but Shay.......she really gave me a lot to think about with my own life.

This book is worthy of so much more than just 4.5 stars. It deserves to be sitting on a shelf, to be read again and again. If you are looking for a book that is at times laugh-out-loud, dysfunctional and altogether, down right inspirational. Friends, family and old memories come together to create a novel that is both emotionally moving, and utterly heartwarming. Praise goes to Debby Mayne for her trademark writing style and bringing me back to the love her books! Well done!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.* ( )
  CafinatedReads | Mar 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,822,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible