Wicked deeds on a winter's night by Kresley…

Wicked deeds on a winter's night (edition 2007)

by Kresley Cole

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Wicked deeds on a winter's night
Authors:Kresley Cole (Author)
Info:London : Simon & Schuster, 2007
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, read

Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole

English (42)  German (1)  All languages (43)
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole is a 2007 Pocket Star publication. I was provided a copy of this book as an S&S XOXpert- The official street team of XOXO After Dark.

After reading the first 2 full length novels with gusto, I knew the third book would really have to pull out the stops in order to compete. Well, this one not only holds it's own, but maybe inches out ahead of the others just a tiny bit.

Bowen is Lykae, but it is amazing he is still among the living after having lost his one true soul mate, if you want to call what he does living. But, Bowen has a plan to somehow change the course of history to reunite him with his lost love. There is only one hitch in his elaborate plan...

Mariketa ( Mari) , is a wily witch - leader of the House of Witches- who finds herself without powers and under the protection of an enemy- Bowen MacRieve. However, she should be safe with him because his heart has hardened to cold stone. But, something is brewing under the surface between them and the longer Mari is under Bowen's protection, the harder it is to deny.

I love forbidden love, or enemies to lovers stories, and this one falls into that category. The pair join forces to battle evil and find the alliance works out better than would have guessed. The Scottish Bowen will have your pulse racing- and I must say I have never seen a better written Scottish Brogue!!

The super sonic speed of book two is toned down just bit in this one, but Bowen's story is an emotional tale and the pace needed to reflect that. Mari, is bit of a handful at times, but her character did develop quite nicely as the story progressed.

This couple is scorching hot, and the romance is one that spans time, space, and all manner of obstacles. The couple is willing to do whatever it takes to find a way to be together. As long as they have each other, everything else will take care of itself. Sometimes, if life, that is the best way to approach the good and the bad times. So, cheers to Bowen and Mari and their long HEA!

With each story the author as either matched or surpassed the previous installment, so now the bar has definitely been raised! I have the next book in the series queued up and ready to go- Can't wait! ( )
  gpangel | May 22, 2015 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

Until this installment I didn’t realize that many of the plots in this series run parallel to each other, so when I found myself back in the midst of the Hie I was ecstatic. It was interesting finding out what happened to Bowen after Sebastian trapped him, and learning more about the witch who cursed him. The two protagonists played a wonderfully devious game of cat and mouse throughout WICKED DEEDS ON A WINTER’S NIGHT which made their dialogue hysterically funny, and their lovemaking mercurial, especially when MacRieve accidentally screamed his ex’s name. I had a blast listening to this title; Kresley Cole & Robert Petkoff are a powerhouse of audiobook wizardry!

Thus far, we’ve become versed in the intricate Lore surrounding this author’s Valkyries, vampires, and werewolves, so you’d be right to infer that my expectations vis-à-vis her witches were through the roof. Mariketa’s also part fey which means that Cole had heaps of awesome new material to work with, and rest assured that none of it was wasted. I loved discovering the powers related to the five casts, exploring the specifics surrounding the Awaited’s prophecy, and the captromancer powers were just plain cool (and creepy!). Other than a bit of glamour, and a couple of secondary characters, the fey elements were negligible which I’m assuming was intentional, and will be explored in a future installment.

I liked how dissimilar the two protagonists were; Mari is only twenty-two years old, hasn’t been frozen into her immortality yet, and is the embodiment of a modern young woman. In comparison, Bowen is ancient, has already found & lost his mate, and is prejudiced towards witches. Also, their relationship really got off on the wrong foot what with Mariketa cursing the werewolf, and MacRieve entombing her with crazed incubi. Watching these two attempt to bridge the gap was an exercise in futility, but when they finally give in to their baser instincts their chemistry was as clear as day. The twist at the end was exquisite, and I adored how it all came together.

With only three IMMORTALS AFTER DARK installments under my belt, and still ten left to go (plus novellas), I risk repeating myself with regards to Robert Petkoff’s narration; however for the time being I’ve no shortage of positive adjectives to use when it comes to his delivery of this series. His sinfully dreamy Scottish accent was back for a second lap, and in addition to it he unleashed Bowen’s beast with a guttural werewolf voice that succeeded in doing naughty things to my insides. I’m sure that Petkoff captured Mari’s character beautifully as well, but for some strange reason all I can remember is MacRieve. RAWR!

WICKED DEEDS ON A WINTER’S NIGHT’s title is self-explanatory or in other words… hot, hot, HOT! ( )
  RabidReads | Apr 9, 2015 |
I am quickly falling head over heels in love with this series. After this book and the first in the series, I want myself a Lycae. Whew! Those boys are hot. Anyway...this book had so many plot twists and turns I don't even know how the author stayed caught up with it all. It all flowed well though, and it was amazing. This book is my favorite so far, and you definitely need to read it. I am about to start the next one, and I can not wait. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Severed hands, legs, feet, fingers. Good grief, I know these guys are immortal warriors but could we keep the severed limbs to a minimum please. It makes me queasy. It's the only kind of gore that I could go without, everything else including severed heads (I don't know why) is just dandy.

Anyway, it's poor Bowen's turn to find his mate. Oh wait, he all ready found his mate and ran her into an early death. And they only get one. Oh dear. So how can he possibly have a book in a series where mates must be found and claimed? Well, it isn't quite that simple. No, he doesn't get two, that would be too easy.

After losing the Hie, he's devastated he can't go back in time to re-claim his mate before her death and is confused as to why Nucking Futs Nix (hehe) told him he would find his mate by entering this competition.

And it seems he's been ignoring his urges and instincts, which in this instance, goes completely against standard male behaviour. If you find a pretty girl who's the first to drive you absolutely crazy after a couple of hundred years, why hold back? All this talk of loyalty for a dead mate means nothing when you haven't had sex in so long. Men. I will never understand them.

Could she be a reincarnation of his mate? Is he lucky enough to get two? Or is this a trick?

Enjoyable but predictable in places plus the nausea -3.5 stars. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This is one of my favourite paranormal romance series. I adore the world building and love the characters and the sensualness. (Even if the Scottish dialect drives me up the wall, I talk to Scottish people all the time in my job and never have trouble understanding them, but the written dialect in this series is confusing drives me to distraction).

I almost gave up with this one halfway through. Started off quite good, I adored Mariketa and loved the introduction of witches and their magic into the mix. I was less than impressed with Bowen. I didn't find him the slightest bit sexy or alluring. I found him to be an arrogant asshole.

By the halfway point I despised Bowen so much I was ready to say the hell with this installment and move on to the next. However, my love for Mariketa kept me going.

Bowen will never be my favourite male in this series, but he did improve towards the end. Towards the end the plot picked up again and got pretty damn good. So I'm glad I stuck with it.

Bring on the next one! ( )
  sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |

Kresley Coleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Petkoff, RobertReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gazdag Diana,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oder, BettinaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the warm, witty, and amazing Beth Kendrick, because we're good enough friends to say, "Isn't it about time you dedicated a book to me?" and "How about that book dedication?"
It wants to mark my flesh. . . .

A brutal Highland werewolf. An exquisite young witch.
Immortal enemies … forbidden temptations.
Her breathless kiss haunts him.

Bowen MacRieve of the Lykae clan was nearly destroyed when he lost the one woman meant for him. The ruthless warrior grew even colder, never taking another to his bed—until a smoldering encounter with his enemy, Mariketa the Awaited, reawakens his darkest desires. When sinister forces unite against her, the Highlander finds himself using all his strength and skill to keep her alive.
His slow, hot touch is irresistible.

Temporarily stripped of her powers, Mari is forced to take refuge with her sworn adversary. It’s rumored that no one can tempt Bowen’s hardened heart, but soon passion burns between them. Though a future together is impossible, she fears he has no intention of letting her go.
No deed is too wicked for her seduction.

If they defeat the evil that surrounds them, can Mari deny Bowen when he demands her body and soul—or will she risk everything for her fierce protector?

Grieving over the loss of his love, werewolf Bowen MacRieve enjoys a passionate encounter with his enemy, the witch Mariketa the Awaited, but when sinister forces threaten her life, Bowen must use all his skills to keep her alive.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,409,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible