Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Where the Crawdads Sing (2018)

by Delia Owens

A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter (gypsysmom)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though much about these novels is dissimilar, both offer a historical Southern setting and a farcical trial that illuminates the small-minded nature of a town's inhabitants. Both atmospheric novels also feature young female protagonists who come of age under challenging circumstances.… (more)
    Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover (kristenl)
    The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy (SubrbnMom)
    The Great Alone: A Novel by Kristin Hannah (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Girls come of age in the wilderness.
    Let's No One Get Hurt by Jon Pineda (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both coming of age stories are character driven and center on young women living on the outskirts of society. Vivid imagery of locales in the southern United States feature prominently.
    The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel (kristenl)
    A Drop in the Ocean: A Novel by Jenni Ogden (rainpebble)

English (107)  Dutch (1)  All languages (108)
It is astonishing that a first time novelist could write such an amazing story! I loved every word, sentence and thought that this work of fiction displayed to me. Possibly the best book I have ever read, and the best story from the South. Delia Owens had the grasp of what the Southern culture is all about. I am sure here expertise in zoology and wildlife greatly informed her depiction of marsh life along the coast of North Carolina. This one I shall treasure and reread again and again. ( )
  JaneAustenNut | Jun 18, 2019 |
Soooo good. Well-written. Excellent mystery. Fascinating science. ( )
  bereanna | Jun 15, 2019 |
This book was outstanding. I had so many emotions running through my mind - it broke my heart, made me angry, made me think and taught me many things. I also discovered that a book can absolutely bring tears to your eyes. What a story. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
This book blew me away. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to get into it but soon enough I found myself enthralled with the marsh girl. I had to know how her life turned out. I was captivated to say the least and this is my go to book when people are looking for recommendations. ( )
  cschooley | Jun 11, 2019 |

I knowed ya
I loved ya,
Forever.
Marsh is not swamp.
Crows can't keep secrets any better than mud; once they see something curious in the forest they have to tell everybody.
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot."

For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life - until the unthinkable happens.

"Fans of Barbara Kingsolver will love this stunning debut novel from a New York Times bestselling nature writer, about an unforgettable young woman determined to make her way in the wilds of North Carolina, and the two men that will break her isolation open. For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. She's barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark. But Kya is not what they say. Abandoned at age ten, she has survived on her own in the marsh that she calls home. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life lessons from the land, learning from the false signals of fireflies the real way of this world. But while she could have lived in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world--until the unthinkable happens. In Where the Crawdads Sing, Owens juxtaposes an exquisite ode to the natural world against a heartbreaking coming of age story and a surprising murder investigation. Thought-provoking, wise, and deeply moving, Owens's debut novel reminds us that we are forever shaped by the children we once were, and that we are all subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,573,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible