De Verlosser by Jo Nesbo

Title:De Verlosser
Authors:Jo Nesbo
Info:
Tags:thriller, harry hole

The Redeemer by Jo Nesbo (2005)

English (49)  German (3)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Icelandic (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (59)
READ IN DUTCH

This was the first book I read by Jo Nesbø and I enjoyed it. It reminded me to the Wallander-series by Henning Mankell. Both have a main character who isn't without problems or thinks life isn't difficult sometimes. The story was nice to read, the writing style was good as well. I didn't gues the end of the story till I got there, so it still was a surprise for me. (Which in my opinion is very good. How many books have I read while knowing the end after some pages...) It made me curious to the other books by Jo Nesbø, and I have already read Marekors, but am still planning to read more of his books... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Harry Hole is a very good and very flawed detective. He is an alcoholic who is now divorced from his wife and child. A hired killer travels to Norway to kill a Salvation Army man, a man with a twin brother who tries to help Hole solve the mystery. Hole tries to identify and find the killer. There are more deaths and it turns out someone other than the hired killer is on the loose. The story also involves child sexual assault. I read this for my mystery book club. Several people loved it and several didn't like it much. I wasn't a big fan. I might read more but after lots of other series I like better.
  taurus27 | May 15, 2016 |
OK Harry Hole Detective novel.
There is a Croatian hitman on the loose of Oslo.
Targeting members of the Salvation army.
Some of the Salvation army members aren't as innocent as the make out.
Harry does what he does best and saves the day. ( )
  Daftboy1 | May 12, 2016 |
As Scandinavian crime heroes go, Harry Hole is a cliché. He is intelligent, tall and handsome, admired by his peers, highly observant, innovative, troubled, a loner and prone to breaking rules. Harry may not be the strongest argument for reading Nesbø’s crime novels. Their strengths lie elsewhere: in their wonderfully complex plots, eclectic characters and especially their seamy settings in Oslo.

In THE REDEEMER, Nesbø mixes murder-for-hire, the Salvation Army and corporate greed with a touch of police corruption to give the reader a thrilling ride. Although its Oslo setting has ample seediness (container terminals, soup kitchens, plenty of bad weather, etc.) the key action occurs in a place familiar to any tourist who has visited this Scandinavian city: the picturesque pedestrian walkway on Karl Johans Gate between the central train station and the royal palace. The plot includes all of the elements readers have come to expect from a Hole novel: plenty of surprises, clues dropped here and there, unrelenting action and lots of really interesting characters. ( )
  ozzer | Feb 26, 2016 |
This one is my least favorite book of the series--it was just excruciating to read. Too many dull, interchangeable characters, too many unexplained red herrings and plot twists, an inexplicable "romance" interest for our hero HH were more than enough. On top of that, the author chose to forego his usual physically impossible action sequences--I have been trained almost to suspend my disbelief about them; instead, he proposes the impossible plot devices of an imaginary vicious dog breed and a genetic condition that makes people's faces "plastic" and unrecognizable. Ugh.

The real mystery here is: Who will redeem the long suffering reader who perseveres to finish this book? ( )
  librarianarpita | Feb 23, 2016 |

Olaisen, PerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puleo. GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who is this that comes from Edom, coming from Bozrah, his garments stained crimson? Who is this, in glorious apparel, marching in the greatness of his strength? 'It is I, who announce that right has won the day, it is I,' says the Lord, 'for I am mighty to save.'
Isaiah, 63:1
Hän oli neljätoistavuotias ja varma siitä, että jos hän puristaisi silmät tiukasti kiinnni ja keskittyisi, hän pystyisi näkemään tähdet katon läpi.
She was fourteen years old and sure that if she shut her eyes tight and concentrated she could see the stars through the roof.
Original title: Frelseren

As Christmas approaches, Detective Harry Hole investigates the murder of a Salvation Army singer, who turns out to have been shot by mistake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible