Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly…

Pictures of Hollis Woods (2002)

by Patricia Reilly Giff

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (rbtanger)
    The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson (Anonymous user)
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: Although Ellen Foster was written with an adult audience in mind and Pictures of Hollis Woods was written for YA, the two books share a common theme as well as being beautifully written. The joy of Hope is central to both.
    Another Place at the Table by Kathy Harrison (meggyweg)
    My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt (meggyweg)
    Returnable Girl by Pamela Lowell (meggyweg)

A girl looking for a family has trouble not running from her foster homes, until she finds a family in which she feels she belongs. But even then she ends up running, but this time to keep them happy, or so she thinks. The story shifts between remembrances of the family she loves and life with her current foster parent, whom she grows to love as well, and these two parts of the plot are woven together very well, with both stories unfolding at the perfect pace. ( )
  electrascaife | Jul 8, 2018 |
Buddy read with GR friend Laura. I could have easily read this book during a single day, if scheduled that way. It was very hard to stop reading as I wanted to keep reading, and I did read it over 3 days, my buddy taking a bit longer because she got even busier with real life than I am. Whatever you do, don’t pick page 125 as a stopping point. Luckily, the chapters are short and it’s easy to read just one more if you don’t want to stop.

I had seen and enjoyed the tv movie when it first aired. I remembered one scene at/near the end of the movie but was surprised and glad that I remembered no other details of the story, even as I read the book all the happened was not familiar and no memories of the story surfaced as I read it. The story was like new to me, and from what I remember of the movie, I think it changed a great deal from the book, especially the details of that one thing at the end of the movie and near the end of the book.

Great story. Wonderful and memorable characters including an especially unique cat.

I cried at the end, mostly happy tears. I would have adored this book when I was 9-12 years old and I loved it even now.

I might watch the movie again. I have the DVD home from the library. I want to see the art, particularly Hollis’s. I remember a bit about how Josie’s art looked.

Recommended for those who have interest in orphan/foster child stories, for artists and those interested in art, those who enjoy (complicated) family stories, those who can appreciate reading about older people with memory problems, cat lovers, most girls ages 9-12. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Jan 28, 2018 |
Summary:
This is a story of a young girl who was abandoned at just one hour old. She has been thru multiple foster homes and she always ends up running. Until one day she meets the Reagans, they want to adopt Hollis but she thinks she is ruining their family. Hollis moves on to live with Josie who teaches her what home really is.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this book and the message that it sent. This is the type of book that would be perfect for a young girl going through foster care or even just dealing with family issues. I could definitely see myself using this book in my own classroom.

Classroom Extensions:
1.) Ask the students to go through magazines and find their own "W" pictures. These pictures can be words that start with the letter W or they can be pictures of a want or wish like Hollis'. Then have the students share their collage of "W" pictures.
2.) Ask the students to write a short three to five sentence monologue of what they would shout once they reached the top of Old Man's Mountain.
3.) Ask the students to write a short story of a time when they felt they didn't fit in and how or what happened to make them feel better. ( )
  TCollins90 | Dec 3, 2017 |
This is a story about a little girl in foster care who is searching for a family. She has been sent from home to home her whole life.
  morganlasher | Apr 21, 2017 |
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Summary: This book was about a little girl named Hollis Woods who was an orphan. She went to live with the Regans, and they fell in love with her. She loved this family, but when an accident happens that hurts Steven Regan, Hollis feels like its all her fault and runs away. Next Hollis is placed with an old artist named Josie. Josie is beginning to forget things and relies on Hollis. At the end of the book Hollis realizes that she belongs with the Regans and goes to be part of their family. This is realistic fiction because this story could have actually happened. There are so so many orphans that need a loving home.
Use in Classroom: This would be a good read aloud if there is a foster student in the class, as long as it doesn't put attention on them.
Age appropriateness: Intermediate ( )
  mdalbeck15 | Apr 9, 2017 |
Voor Alice Tiernan, die vaak in de Delaware-rivier gaat vissen;
en voor Bill Reilly, die altijd met haar meegaat.
For Alice Tiernan, who fishes in the Delaware River. And for Bill Reilly, who fishes with her
This picture has a dollop of peanut butter on one edge, a smear of grape jelly on the other, and X across the whole thing.

Follows the story of a Hollis Woods, who was a foster child and moves around a lot. She leaves a place she really likes then finds her way back.

Hollis Woods has been in so many foster homes she can hardly remember them all. She even runs away from the Regans, the one family who offers her a home.

When Hollis is sent to Josie, an elderly artist who is quirky and affectionate, she wants to stay. But Josie is growing more forgetful every day. If Social Services finds out, they’ll take Hollis away and move Josie into a home. Well, Hollis Woods won’t let anyone separate them. She’s escaped the system before; this time, she plans to take Josie with her.

Yet behind all her plans, Hollis longs for her life with the Regans, fixing each moment of her time with them in pictures she’ll never forget.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

A troublesome twelve-year-old orphan, staying with an elderly artist who needs her, remembers the only other time she was happy in a foster home, with a family that truly seemed to care about her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible