Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Rilla of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery

Rilla of Ingleside (1921)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (8)

Betsy's Wedding by Maud Hart Lovelace (Bjace)
    Bjace: Both were set during WWI and show the effect that the War had on the everyday life.
    The Two Mrs. Abbotts by D. E. Stevenson (atimco)
    atimco: Both are sequels in a series unconcerned, to that point, with anything much beyond the borders of a small village and its ever-interesting society. There is an undeniable charm about a story of people carrying on with life and their little affairs against the bigger backdrop of world war.… (more)

Rilla of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery; bk 8; (4 1/2*)

This is an endearing book. Montgomery has written it in a nostalgic manner which I think some readers may not care for but which I enjoyed a great deal.
Anne with an e, and the good doctor's children are grown and growing up. The eve of the Great War is upon us with all of its darkness, horrors, losses and sadness. I did not realize the impact of the Great War upon Canada and it's citizens.
The youngest daughter in the family, Rilla, is our main character but this narrative has loads of interesting characters. Not the least of which is the family dog, Dog Monday, who loves Jem with a passion unknown to most of mankind. Also there is the hysterically funny family feline, Doc, so named for his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde persona.
The story is filled with the lives and loves of the young people. So many of the young men of the Glen sign up to go as soon as the call comes. We hear of them in their letters to Rilla and in the journal she faithfully keeps.
I loved how the young folk had a special little valley where they went for play and as they grew up they met there for talking, sharing, thinking, and wooing. The relationship that Rilla shared with her brother Walter, was so special and quite took me back to my own relationship with my brother Sam, who also died a young and violent death.....though, like Walter's death, it was quick.
This is my favorite of the 'Anne' books aside from Anne of Green Gables. Such a beloved series. ( )
  rainpebble | Apr 8, 2019 |
This last book in the "Anne" series was, by far, my favourite. Set during the years of World War I, it gave a wonderful insight into what the women, who had brothers, husbands and lovers on the front, had to endure for four long, torturous years. Unable to protect their men, they put on brave faces and went to work keeping vigil, knitting and baking for the soldiers and planning rushed weddings. As Rilla's world crashed around her and challenges bombarded her, she had to grow up quickly, In those unpredictable times, she went from a naive, frivolous teenager to a mature, strong, young woman.

I shed tears throughout "Rilla of Ingleside" far more than I did in another "Anne: book and Dog Monday's story had me sobbing. It was so incredibly moving and I could clearly picture him - dear, faithful, little dog.

I also liked the analogy of the Pied Piper calling the boys to war. The author did this beautifully and Walter's poem was truly poignant. I also loved following his journey. Walter was such a gentle, sensitive soul and his letter to Rilla was powerful.

While the "Anne" series had its ups and downs, "Rilla of Ingleside" finished the series perfectly. A true classic. ( )
2 vote HeatherLINC | Nov 10, 2018 |
Interesting to read a book published almost 100 years ago, when WWI was just over and WWII not even thought of. Rilla, Anne & Gilbert's youngest, is a fairly flightly girl at 15, until the war arrives & her brothers and sweetheart join up. While collecting $$ for the war effort, she stops at a home where the mother of a newborn has passed away & the aunt of the child is drunk. So, flighty Rilla takes Jims home in a soup tureen, because she didn't want the "war orphan" packed away to an orphanage while Dad is overseas. ( )
1 vote nancynova | Jun 7, 2018 |
Very charming books! But what happened to Dora? And Marilla and Rachel? They weren't mentioned in the later books, other than a brief mention that Marilla had died. ( )
  Kuglar | Mar 28, 2018 |
Anne's youngest daughter, Marilla (called Rilla) is all grown up at fifteen and dreaming of boys and dances when WWI rears its ugly head. Her oldest brother Jem enlists, to Anne and Gilbert's horror, as does Kenneth, the boy Rilla has a crush on. Rilla ends up adopting a baby who's mother dies and who's father is off at war, calling him Jims. Rilla grows closer to her brother Walter, who is disgusted by the destruction of war and hates the idea of going but hates being called a coward at college even more, so he ends up enlisting and is killed in action.
This book is terribly bittersweet. All I have to do is think about poor Dog Monday and I burst into tears. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 10, 2018 |
Rilla of Ingleside is a war novel at times masquerading as a young adult historical romance. But it is far more than that; it is a detailed study of rural Canadian life during the First World War, written by a woman who lived through it and distilled it all with her trademark restrained emotion into a gem of a novel.

Montgomery writes beautifully and brings tears of both sorrow and joy on the turning of every page. I would recommend this book for anyone and everyone as it is a wonderful story and has all the elements needed for a good book.
added by parlerodermime | editThe Guardian (Apr 21, 2011)

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Parry, CarolineContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of FREDERICA CAMPBELL MACFARLANE who went away from me when the dawn broke on January 25th, 1919 - a true friend, a rare personality, a loyal and courageous soul
It was a warm, golden-cloudy, lovable afternoon.
We give more than them. They only give themselves. We give them.
This morning his mother saw him going out of the yard, with a very sorrowful and determined look, carrying his pet kitten. She didn't think much more about it until later on he came in, with the most tragic little face, and told her, his little body shaking with sobs, that he had drowned Stripey.

"'Why did you do that?' Mrs. Meredith exclaimed.

"'To bring Jem back,' sobbed Bruce. 'I thought if I sacrificed Stripey God would send Jem back. So I drownded him—and, oh mother, it was awful hard—but surely God will send Jem back now, 'cause Stripey was the dearest thing I had. I just told God I would give Him Stripey if He would send Jem back. And He will, won't He, mother?'

"Mrs. Meredith didn't know what to say to the poor child. She just could not tell him that perhaps his sacrifice wouldn't bring Jem back—that God didn't work that way. She told him that he mustn't expect it right away—that perhaps it would be quite a long time yet before Jem came back.

"But Bruce said, 'It oughtn't to take longer'n a week, mother. Oh, mother, Stripey was such a nice little cat. He purred so pretty. Don't you think God ought to like him enough to let us have Jem?"

"Mr. Meredith is worried about the effect on Bruce's faith in God, and Mrs. Meredith is worried about the effect on Bruce himself if his hope isn't fulfilled. And I feel as if I must cry every time I think of it. It was so splendid—and sad—and beautiful. The dear devoted little fellow! He worshipped that kitten. And if it all goes for nothing—as so many sacrifices seem to go for nothing—he will be brokenhearted, for he isn't old enough to understand that God doesn't answer our prayers just as we hope—and doesn't make bargains with us when we yield something we love up to Him."
Ken took the uncertain hand she held out, and looked at her. The slim Rilla of four years ago had rounded out into symmetry. He had left a school girl, and he found a woman—a woman with wonderful eyes and a dented lip, and rose-bloom cheek—a woman altogether beautiful and desirable—the woman of his dreams.

"Is it Rilla-my-Rilla?" he asked, meaningly.

Emotion shook Rilla from head to foot. Joy—happiness—sorrow—fear—every passion that had wrung her heart in those four long years seemed to surge up in her soul for a moment as the deeps of being were stirred. She had tried to speak; at first voice would not come. Then—"Yeth," said Rilla.
Una took the letter and when Rilla had gone she pressed it against her lonely lips. Una knew that love would never come into her life now—it was buried for ever under the blood-stained soil "Somewhere in France." No one but herself—and perhaps Rilla—knew it—would ever know it. She had no right in the eyes of her world to grieve. She must hide and bear her long pain as best she could—alone. But she, too, would keep faith.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

Anne's children were almost grown up, except for  pretty, high-spirited Rilla. No one could resist  her bright hazel eyes and dazzling smile. Rilla,  almost fifteen, can't think any further ahead than  going to her very first dance at the Four Winds  lighthouse and getting her first kiss from  handsome

Kenneth Ford. But undreamed-of challenges  await the irrepressible Rilla when the world of  Ingleside becomes endangered by a far-off war. Her  brothers go off to fight, and Rilla brings home an  orphaned newborn in a soup tureen. She is swept into  a drama that tests her courage and leaves her changed forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Rilla, the daughter of Anne Shirley Blythe, grows from a carefree, irresponsible girl into a strong and capable young woman during the war years, 1914-1918.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible