Rising Tides: The Chesapeake Bay Saga #2…

Rising Tides: The Chesapeake Bay Saga #2 (The Quinn Brothers Trilogy) (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Nora Roberts

Member:nicola1178
Title:Rising Tides: The Chesapeake Bay Saga #2 (The Quinn Brothers Trilogy)
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (1998), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Rising Tides by Nora Roberts (1998)

Recently added byaddictofromance, rena75, private library

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Rising Tides is the second installment in the Chesapeake Bay Saga, where we begin with Ethan's story. Ethan like his brothers came into the Quinn family with a difficult past that with the help of Ray and Stella Quinn was able to overcome and make a good life out of himself. Ethan has always had a secret desire for one woman, that has held his heart for many years, Grace. Grace, having to bear the responsibility of being a single mother to her beloved daughter, whom she sacrifces much for. Having been divorced, and enstranged from her father, times are tough on grace and wearing her thin. When she goes to work as a house cleaner for the Quinns, she is faced frequently with Ethan, whom she has always been strongly attracted to ever since she was young. As she struggles with trying to raise her daughter on her own, and stay independent, things heat up between Grace and the middle Quinn brother. As these two souls come together, and find a precious love they never expected to find, they also find a child, Seth, who needs love and guidance as Ethan bonds with him and finds that he and Seth have more in common than either of them realize, that will make them stronger to face a danger on the horizon, that could disrupt the fragile trust that Seth has built up on the Chesepeake Bay.

I just loved Ethan and Grace's story, in Rising Tides, we see a romance blossom (finally) between Grace and Ethan whom both are lost in their own way, but find it in each others love. Grace, although circumstances should have left her broken, only have given her a inner strength, to raise her daughter on her own financially and emotionally. When things start to heat up between her and Ethan, she discovers that she has loved him much longer than she ever realized. She yearns to make him see that their love that they have found, will only strengthen them not destroy them. Ethan, having a difficult time in overcoming his past, realizes that he has fallen in love with Grace, but knows that he can never marry her and give her what she deserves. He doesn't want his past to taint her and her future, but he will find that she will meet him with full on stubborness and fight like hell to give him hope and trust in their love to overcome any challenge no matter the difficulty involved. This was definitely a great book, and I loved it just as much as the first one. I admired both of these characters, they both have experienced pain and suffering, but they also find a way to rise above it. As we see a love grow between them, I found myself on their side, hoping that both of them would see reason, and learn to trust in their feelings for each other, which give them a strength they never expected to find within themselves. I also loved the bond that grows between them and the boy who has come into their home, who needs healing and laughter and love more than anything. I could see how much Seth grows just from these two books so far. It was truly a delightful adventure to discover in this saga. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
This review was updated on A Weebish Book Blog as part of my TBT Review feature.

Ethan isn’t my favorite character in this series, but his and Grace’s book is very enjoyable and has it’s own part to play in the Chesapeake Bay Saga. I happily re-read this series every time I’m in a book slump and I need a Nora Roberts pick me up.

Ethan is the Tall, Dark, and Silent type. It’s not that he doesn’t speak, but he doesn’t feel the need to fill a space with words like I do. He’s content to work in silence or just soak up the lakeside air. Even though he’s not as approachable as his brother Cam, or even Phillip, he always surprises a laugh out of me. He’s also one of the most clueless men I have ever read about, especially when it comes to women. He compared Grace to a HORSE! I realize he was trying to compliment her long, silky legs, but seriously. A horse? Pfft.

Grace is an intriguing character. My original interest in RISING TIDES stems from my curiosity about she and Seth’s relationship, and now I can see why he has such a big crush on her. She’s a sweet, caring mother, and little bit naive. There are a few “poor, deluded Grace” moments,, but in the end I found her character endearing. And her daughter, Aubrey, was just adorable. My favorite character of the book, hands down.

This book might not have been my favorite of the Chesapeake Bay Saga, but it was a great read that I’m sure I’ll be re-reading again one day. If you’re family-thmed contemporary romances or a fan of Nora Roberts, check out this series. ( )
  aweebishbookblog | Aug 27, 2017 |
After just reading Sea Swept, this story was good but not as captivating. Like the hero, it was slow moving until the end. The secondary characters were more exciting than hero and heroine. Quinn brother Ethan, a waterman, and single working mother Grace have been attracted to each other for years.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
In the following of the Quinn family saga, we return to St. Chris to watch Ethan's struggle with his past and the love for Grace.
Another light and delightful romance by the hand of Nora Roberts. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Dec 9, 2013 |
Ethan wasn't my favorite character in this series, but his and Grace's book was very enjoyable and had it's own part to play in the Quinn/Chesapeake Bay Saga.

Ethan is what I would call the Tall, Dark, and Silent type. It's not that he doesn't speak, but he doesn't feel the need to fill the air with words like some people would. He's content to work in silence or just soak up the lakeside air. And even though he may not be as approachable as his brother Cam is, or even Phillip, he always surprises a laugh out of me.

He is also one of the most clueless men I have ever read on paper (I've met some fairly clueless men in person, most of them family members) , especially when it came to women. He compared Grace to a HORSE! I realize he was trying to compliment her long, sexy legs, but, seriously, why not a gazelle? I mean a horse?!? No woman wants to be compared to a horse.

Grace was an intriguing character. My original interest in RISING TIDES stems from my curiosity about she and Seth's relationship, and now I can see why he has such a big crush on her. She's so sweet, caring, and little bit naive. Okay, a lot naive. There were a lot of "poor, deluded Grace" moments for me, but she wasn't annoying like a lot of whinny contemporary chicks these days (*cough* Bella).

My favorite character in RISING TIDES, hands down, was Aubrey, Grace's toddler. She's just the most adorable little kid ever. I'd keep her as a pet if I could. Would it be wrong to keep a kid as a pet? Probably.

This book might not have been my favorite, but it was a great read that I wouldn't mind re-reading again sometime. If you're into the whole family saga/drama thing, or hell, just a fan of Nora Roberts, check out this series. I absolutely loved it, maybe you will too!

Read more reviews and recommendations @ No Book Left Behind Book Blog ( )
  Sarah_Hearts_Books | Oct 9, 2013 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stuart, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valle Simón, CarmenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the witty and delightful Christine Dorsey. Yes, Chris, I mean you.
"Ethan climbed out of his dreams and rolled out of bed."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 051512317X, Mass Market Paperback)

Set on the windswept shores of the Chesapeake Bay, Nora Roberts's Rising Tides, the second book in the Quinn Brothers trilogy, continues the story of the lives and loves of adopted brothers Ethan, Cameron, and Philip Quinn. Eager to honor their father's dying wish that their other brother, Seth, be cared for, the three settle into life with a 10-year-old. Of all the brothers, it is Ethan who finds himself drawn to the young boy, because both suffered horrific abuse before being adopted by the Quinns. Time hasn't extinguished Ethan's pain, only buried it deep within his heart, a fact that may keep him from the only woman he has ever loved. A moving contemporary with universal appeal, Rising Tides is Nora Roberts at her best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:34 -0400)

In response to his father's last wish, Ethan Quinn returns to the Maryland shore to care for Seth, a troubled boy in need of a family. Carrying on the family boatbuilding business, Ethan also finds the opportunity to reexamine his past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,469,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible