Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (2)

The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (81)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (83)
Once again visiting with our favorite nice guy/serial killer Dexter Morgan. In this installment Dexter finds himself the lone investigator on the trail of a disgruntled torture specialist who is playing a deadly, and reverse game of “Hangman”. Instead of adding body parts he likes to remove them. Sounds like it is right up Dexter’s alley until it involves his sister. Then the game becomes a little less amusing.

I like Mr. Lindsay’s portrayal of Dexter as the empty shell with the sarcastic way of looking at the world around him. This one had me saying “ewww, ewww, ewww” out loud at some parts. Always a sign of a good book?
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever read. It was haunting. ( )
  DianaSaco | Jul 8, 2015 |
This book is nearly perfect, if you're not put off by bad language and serial killers, that is. The author does many things very well: pacing, characters, humor. There is only one small part at the end that I wonder how, exactly, we readers were supposed to feel about that. It was almost enough for me to take it down to four stars, but no. I think the author sometimes tries too hard to keep Dexter's characterization as being somebody without feeling. I don't feel like it breaks character to occasionally show something in him that proves that he does feel, that he is human. Because he is, whether he thinks he is or not. In fact, things like that would perfect his character for me. It needs at least a hint of polarity. Yin and Yang and all that. And sometimes it does. I love those moments when he might, almost, feel something. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I very much enjoyed this story and I really like Dexter! I can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Well-written, but the bad guy was just too evil, so I had to read a more pleasant and care-free YA book right after this one. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307473716, Mass Market Paperback)

In this acclaimed follow-up to the bestselling novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter, we pick up with Dexter Morgan when he’s under considerable pressure. It’s not easy being an ethical serial killer—but he’s doing his best to keep up the disguise, spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world’s first serial killer couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami and killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do something about it. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

"Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami--a killer whose twisted techniques leaves even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,137,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible