Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (2)

The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (86)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
A really good follow up to the first book in the series. I have no idea where Jeff Lindsay comes up with this stuff, but it's crazy. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The second book in the Dexter series. Dexter is being followed around by Seareant Doakes which means Dexter's dark passenger doesn't get to come out and play. Instead he is stuck being a couch potato at his girlfriend Rita's house. Then Dexter and his sister get called in to a gruesome scene and his sister's new boyfriend disappears and she insists that Dexter find him. I enjoyed the dark humor of the book and like that Lindsay can make you feel like you are inside the mind of a serial killer. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Very clever and funny! ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
Poor, poor Doakes. You'd have been better off to suffer the fate of your televised counter part. What happened to you was just plain cruel, even for you, "motha fucka". ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |
I felt like I was back in the television series.
The over-the-top hokeyness of Dexter's internal monologue might go so wrong, the cuteness just a little too cloying for someone who calls himself a monster, but Lindsay manages to pull it off and make my own Dark Passenger (who is a reader, and gets murderously outraged if it senses the writer pulling a fast one) settle down and accept it. For each of the two books of the Dexter series I've read I've had moments where I pause at a certain point (usually one of the many alliterative descriptions of Deadly Dexter), but every single time I've thrown Jeff Lindsay the benefit of the doubt and kept on going. I don't know if it's the folksy dialogue Dexter keeps up with the reader or the fact that Michael C. Hall did such a great job bringing him to life for the screen, but you forgive the little idiosyncrasies because, well, Dexter's kind of a charming monster, and hell sometimes repeat himself as he tries to work out just how a human might react to his situation.
Repetition aside, the book just roars along. I think reading too many of these in quick succession might wear down the patience of your Dark Reader, but grabbing one from the shelf every few months seems to be working, so far, and I've loved revisiting with everyone's favorite serial killer and provider of donuts. ( )
  mhanlon | Nov 18, 2015 |
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307473716, Mass Market Paperback)

In this acclaimed follow-up to the bestselling novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter, we pick up with Dexter Morgan when he’s under considerable pressure. It’s not easy being an ethical serial killer—but he’s doing his best to keep up the disguise, spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world’s first serial killer couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami and killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do something about it. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

"Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami--a killer whose twisted techniques leaves even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,085,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible