Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (2)

The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (79)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
Well-written, but the bad guy was just too evil, so I had to read a more pleasant and care-free YA book right after this one. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I listened to this again recently and it really is a good book. The story is pretty twisted and the voice of Dexter is pretty close to the tv show Dexter voice. Having just watched the entire Dexter series, I wanted to go back to the books because I wanted to see how the kids are handled because I know in the books that Dexter thinks they are like him and wants to be their mentor. One difference between the books and the show that stands out to me is the use of the Dark Passenger (DP) vs the use of Spirit Guide Harry (SGH). SGH is used throughout almost the entire tv show as a guide to Dexter, reminding him of the code, warning him, helping him, etc. In the books, at least in 1 and 2, there is no mention of this SGH. It's only Dexter's DP. I imagine liberties were taken with the tv show because they needed some visual representation of what was going on in Dexter's head, but I do think the two are very different from each other. Once in a while in the show I think the DP was referred to, but I don't think the viewer ever really heard from him. It was just implied and known he was there. That's kind of how I saw it.

Back to the book, the story is pretty gruesome but twisted, and sometimes those are the best stories. Dexter's nemesis, Doakes, is putting the pressure on Dexter. Doakes suspects that Dexter is a monster and is itching to catch him. However, a man from Doakes' past comes back to take revenge on Doakes and other guys from their group (it's a military special ops type thing), and Dexter is left trying to decide if he should try to save Doakes or let this other psychopath do his job for him.

There are some side cases, "unofficial" cases, that Dexter also takes care of in this story, too. What happens to Doakes in the book is totally different than what happens in the show, and I prefer the book version myself. I'd really like to keep reading to find out more about the kids and Doakes and if Doakes ever reveals more about Dexter to anyone, but sadly, I have yet to make it through book 3. ( )
  recipe_addict | Sep 21, 2014 |
Another good book. This is definitely not what I would call world class literature but I enjoyed the book completely and will read more from the series. ( )
  gopfolk | Jun 24, 2014 |
A gritty, amusing tale of a sociopath's adventures dealing with other "monsters" like himself. Details such as the "Dark Passenger" make this tale original and entertaining to read. A world I would love to return to again and again.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307473716, Mass Market Paperback)

In this acclaimed follow-up to the bestselling novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter, we pick up with Dexter Morgan when he’s under considerable pressure. It’s not easy being an ethical serial killer—but he’s doing his best to keep up the disguise, spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world’s first serial killer couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami and killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do something about it. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:06 -0400)

"Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami--a killer whose twisted techniques leaves even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,037,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible