Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (2)

The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (83)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (85)
I felt like I was back in the television series.
The over-the-top hokeyness of Dexter's internal monologue might go so wrong, the cuteness just a little too cloying for someone who calls himself a monster, but Lindsay manages to pull it off and make my own Dark Passenger (who is a reader, and gets murderously outraged if it senses the writer pulling a fast one) settle down and accept it. For each of the two books of the Dexter series I've read I've had moments where I pause at a certain point (usually one of the many alliterative descriptions of Deadly Dexter), but every single time I've thrown Jeff Lindsay the benefit of the doubt and kept on going. I don't know if it's the folksy dialogue Dexter keeps up with the reader or the fact that Michael C. Hall did such a great job bringing him to life for the screen, but you forgive the little idiosyncrasies because, well, Dexter's kind of a charming monster, and hell sometimes repeat himself as he tries to work out just how a human might react to his situation.
Repetition aside, the book just roars along. I think reading too many of these in quick succession might wear down the patience of your Dark Reader, but grabbing one from the shelf every few months seems to be working, so far, and I've loved revisiting with everyone's favorite serial killer and provider of donuts. ( )
  mhanlon | Nov 18, 2015 |
I loved how in depth we got to see Dexter's relationship with Rita's kids. Dexter says that he is not human, but the way he is with the kids tell me that he is more human than a lot of "normal" people. He treasures kids, and often kills child predators, I respect that completely. I say if you are going to kill people you might as well put it to good use, for the greater good! (Not that I condone murder... but I do respect what Dexter does, even if it's only a channel to feed his Passenger)

I loved the storyline for this book, I would have liked to see it in the show! And I like how Doakes was "dealt" with, even more so than on the show. I also liked how the kids were revealed to be like Dexter, I didn't see that in the show at all, maybe that was too controversial even for Showtime. But as soon as Cody stab that fish and then Rita asking him and Astor about the neighbors missing dog, I could see where it was going. I was surprised *I* saw it before Dexter did! I was freaking out, worried that Deb was going to die when they got into that accident when they were chasing that freaky doctor guy!

I would definitely recommend this book for fans of Dexter, the show, and fans of the first book. ( )
  heartsstarspll | Oct 20, 2015 |
Once again visiting with our favorite nice guy/serial killer Dexter Morgan. In this installment Dexter finds himself the lone investigator on the trail of a disgruntled torture specialist who is playing a deadly, and reverse game of “Hangman”. Instead of adding body parts he likes to remove them. Sounds like it is right up Dexter’s alley until it involves his sister. Then the game becomes a little less amusing.

I like Mr. Lindsay’s portrayal of Dexter as the empty shell with the sarcastic way of looking at the world around him. This one had me saying “ewww, ewww, ewww” out loud at some parts. Always a sign of a good book?
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever read. It was haunting. ( )
  DianaSaco | Jul 8, 2015 |
This book is nearly perfect, if you're not put off by bad language and serial killers, that is. The author does many things very well: pacing, characters, humor. There is only one small part at the end that I wonder how, exactly, we readers were supposed to feel about that. It was almost enough for me to take it down to four stars, but no. I think the author sometimes tries too hard to keep Dexter's characterization as being somebody without feeling. I don't feel like it breaks character to occasionally show something in him that proves that he does feel, that he is human. Because he is, whether he thinks he is or not. In fact, things like that would perfect his character for me. It needs at least a hint of polarity. Yin and Yang and all that. And sometimes it does. I love those moments when he might, almost, feel something. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307473716, Mass Market Paperback)

In this acclaimed follow-up to the bestselling novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter, we pick up with Dexter Morgan when he’s under considerable pressure. It’s not easy being an ethical serial killer—but he’s doing his best to keep up the disguise, spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world’s first serial killer couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami and killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do something about it. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:49 -0400)

"Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami--a killer whose twisted techniques leaves even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible