Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (2)

2,660None2,251 (3.83)85
2011 (13) audio (13) crime (117) crime fiction (43) dark humor (18) detective (17) Dexter (112) Dexter Morgan (17) ebook (37) fiction (278) Florida (31) forensics (42) horror (49) humor (33) Miami (70) murder (63) mystery (172) novel (17) paperback (12) police (25) read (48) serial killer (201) series (50) sociopath (17) suspense (41) thriller (104) to-read (29) TV Series (13) unread (22) vigilante (18)
    The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (75)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
Fiction is replete with examples of anti-heroes where, in spite of our better judgment, we find ourselves rooting for a less-than-desirable individual. The Godfather's Michael Corleone, Alex in Clockwork Orange, Ignatius in A Confederacy of Dunces, and as things are turning out, just about anyone in Game of Thrones (I'm only on book three – no spoilers please). Dexter is starting to add his persona to that august group. (In fact, I just saw him included in one list of the top 10 anti-heroes.)

I have no problem with anti-heroes, and I had no problem with Dexter's particular type as I read the first book in the series. In case you didn't know (spoiler alert – but not really a big one – this may be the worst kept secret of all time), Dexter is a serial murderer. But, he is not really a bad guy because he has learned to channel his urges in a positive way – he only kills other serial murderers.

In the first novel, Lindsay did a good job playing this psychologically disturbed person against the everyday backdrop of a personal life and job with the (irony alert) police department. I bought into the premise, and I bought into the fact that, in spite of how disturbing the character of Dexter is, I can sympathize with his actions and his motives.

But now we get to the second novel in the series and I am becoming a little more concerned. We still have Dexter doing his thing – finding the bad guys and eradicating them in his own special way. But this novel digs a little more deeply into Dexter's psychology. Yes, this was all evident in the first book; yes, we learned that Dexter did not connect with human emotions and feelings. And we saw how that fit in with the person he felt forced to become. But this installment really drives that home.

That exploration in and of itself would not be a real problem. However, Dexter is beginning to involve more people in the charade that is his life.

It is one thing to watch his demented approach to life as it impacts criminals and an impersonal general public. It was a little more disturbing to see the impact on his sister (starting to get just a little more personal.) But now he is becoming involved with other private parties – including children. And it is disturbing to watch the facade he has built trap him and others into that false existence. And this also leads us to understand that there is a wider and wider range of disturbed individuals in the world.

Maybe this is really where Lindsay intends to go – not just an interesting concept but a commentary about the people that are around us. If so, then this is a much more profound series than I ever imagined. However, until that has proven to be the case, I find myself increasingly disturbed with the series and what it makes me feel – disturbed enough that Lindsay has only one more book to make his case.

Yes, I will keep reading the series, but it is on a short hook. ( )
  figre | Jan 29, 2014 |
good book.
  unclerj | Dec 9, 2013 |
I love the Dexter books. They just keep you interested from start to end, because they are something a little different. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
Not fabulous literature, no, but sometimes you just need a break and read something for the pure entertainment of it :) ( )
  wispywillow | Sep 21, 2013 |
Book Info: Genre: Thriller/Police Procedural
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: twisted people
Trigger Warnings: murder, torture, vivisection

My Thoughts: This book opens with a scene that plays on our expectations of Dexter... and then turns them on their ear. I just love that! This book is filled with scenes like that, scenes that turn our expectations against us and make us look at things from a slightly different perspective.

Watching Dexter's complete confusion over how to deal with Rita is always hilarious. However, I always wondered why no one ever mentioned that the ring was actually Kyle's and that Dexter would need to somehow retrieve it for him. That wasn't the only comment in the book that didn't really make sense. There is a scene toward the end where Dexter thinks to himself about the three remaining potential victims being unaware, and includes Acosta among them, although Acosta not only was aware but had fled. I was a bit surprised something like that would make it through the final editing process. However, these are very minor things, and with all the busyness, I'm sure a lot of people would not even noticed these minor, questionable situations.

I remember back when I first read this book I was so excited to see where the series was going with the children. I still find this a really interesting idea, and was disappointed when the TV series did not include this. I suppose involving the children was just too much and not nearly “sexy” enough, but to me I much prefer the direction the story is going in the books over what I saw in the first four seasons of the TV show.

If you have a really dark and twisted sense of humor, and like reading about rather dark and twisted vigilantes, then you definitely need to spend some time with Dexter Morgan.

Series Information: Dexter Morgan series
Book 1: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, review linked here
Book 2: Dearly Devoted Dexter
Book 3: Dexter in the Dark
Book 4: Dexter by Design
Book 5: Dexter is Delicious
Book 6: Double Dexter
Book 7: Dexter's Final Cut

Disclosure: I purchased this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Dexter Morgan has been under considerable pressure. It's just not easy being an ethical serial killer—especially while trying to avoid the unshakable suspicions of the dangerous Sergeant Doakes (who believes Dexter is a homicidal maniac... which, of course, he is). In an attempt to throw Doakes off his trail, Dexter has had to slip deep into his foolproof disguise. While not working as a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, he now spends nearly all his time with his cheerful girlfriend, Rita, and her two children, sipping light beer and slowly becoming the world's first serial couch potato. But how long can Dexter play Kick the Can instead of Slice the Slasher? How long before his Dark Passenger forces him to drop the charade and let his inner monster run free?

In trying times, opportunity knocks. A particularly nasty psychopath is cutting a trail through Miami—a man whose twisted technique leaves even Dexter speechless. As Dexter's dark appetite is revived, his sister, Deborah (a newly minted, tough-as-nails Miami detective), is drawn headlong into the case. It quickly becomes clear that it will take a monster to catch a monster—but it isn't until his archnemesis is abducted that Dex can finally throw himself into the search for a new plaything. Unless, of course, his plaything finds him first... ( )
  Katyas | Aug 18, 2013 |
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307473716, Mass Market Paperback)

In this acclaimed follow-up to the bestselling novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter, we pick up with Dexter Morgan when he’s under considerable pressure. It’s not easy being an ethical serial killer—but he’s doing his best to keep up the disguise, spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world’s first serial killer couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami and killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do something about it. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:06 -0400)

"Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami--a killer whose twisted techniques leaves even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible