Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Dearly Devoted Dexter (2005)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (2)

Recently added bykgthor, private library, IslandDave, hdrussell, Glennis.LeBlanc
    The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: In every way a better book than any Dexter novel. Excellent villain and a more compelling story. This man can write.

English (78)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
Another good book. This is definitely not what I would call world class literature but I enjoyed the book completely and will read more from the series. ( )
  gopfolk | Jun 24, 2014 |
A gritty, amusing tale of a sociopath's adventures dealing with other "monsters" like himself. Details such as the "Dark Passenger" make this tale original and entertaining to read. A world I would love to return to again and again.
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
Fiction is replete with examples of anti-heroes where, in spite of our better judgment, we find ourselves rooting for a less-than-desirable individual. The Godfather's Michael Corleone, Alex in Clockwork Orange, Ignatius in A Confederacy of Dunces, and as things are turning out, just about anyone in Game of Thrones (I'm only on book three – no spoilers please). Dexter is starting to add his persona to that august group. (In fact, I just saw him included in one list of the top 10 anti-heroes.)

I have no problem with anti-heroes, and I had no problem with Dexter's particular type as I read the first book in the series. In case you didn't know (spoiler alert – but not really a big one – this may be the worst kept secret of all time), Dexter is a serial murderer. But, he is not really a bad guy because he has learned to channel his urges in a positive way – he only kills other serial murderers.

In the first novel, Lindsay did a good job playing this psychologically disturbed person against the everyday backdrop of a personal life and job with the (irony alert) police department. I bought into the premise, and I bought into the fact that, in spite of how disturbing the character of Dexter is, I can sympathize with his actions and his motives.

But now we get to the second novel in the series and I am becoming a little more concerned. We still have Dexter doing his thing – finding the bad guys and eradicating them in his own special way. But this novel digs a little more deeply into Dexter's psychology. Yes, this was all evident in the first book; yes, we learned that Dexter did not connect with human emotions and feelings. And we saw how that fit in with the person he felt forced to become. But this installment really drives that home.

That exploration in and of itself would not be a real problem. However, Dexter is beginning to involve more people in the charade that is his life.

It is one thing to watch his demented approach to life as it impacts criminals and an impersonal general public. It was a little more disturbing to see the impact on his sister (starting to get just a little more personal.) But now he is becoming involved with other private parties – including children. And it is disturbing to watch the facade he has built trap him and others into that false existence. And this also leads us to understand that there is a wider and wider range of disturbed individuals in the world.

Maybe this is really where Lindsay intends to go – not just an interesting concept but a commentary about the people that are around us. If so, then this is a much more profound series than I ever imagined. However, until that has proven to be the case, I find myself increasingly disturbed with the series and what it makes me feel – disturbed enough that Lindsay has only one more book to make his case.

Yes, I will keep reading the series, but it is on a short hook. ( )
  figre | Jan 29, 2014 |
good book.
  unclerj | Dec 9, 2013 |
For Tommie and Gus, who have certainly waited long enough.
It's that moon again, slung so fat and low in the tropical night, calling out across a curdled sky and into the quivering ears of that dear old voice in the shadows, the Dark Passenger, nestled snug in the backseat of the Dodge K-car of Dexter's hypothetical soul.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0307473716, Mass Market Paperback)

In this acclaimed follow-up to the bestselling novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter, we pick up with Dexter Morgan when he’s under considerable pressure. It’s not easy being an ethical serial killer—but he’s doing his best to keep up the disguise, spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world’s first serial killer couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami and killer whose twisted techniques leave even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to do something about it. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:06 -0400)

"Life's tough for Dexter Morgan. It's not easy being the world's only serial killer with a conscience, especially when you work for the Miami police. To avoid suspicion, Dexter's had to slip deep into his disguise: spending time with his girlfriend and her kids, slowly becoming the world's first serial killing couch potato. Then a particularly nasty psychopath starts cutting a trail through Miami--a killer whose twisted techniques leaves even Dexter speechless. When his sister Deborah, a tough-as-nails cop, is drawn into the case, it becomes clear that Dexter will have to come out of hiding and hunt the monster down. Unless, of course, the killer finds him first..."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible