Temptation by Jude Deveraux

Info:Atria (2000), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Cave City
Tags:Box 15

Temptation by Jude Deveraux

It's set in New York in the early 1900's and Temperance was a rich "do-gooder." Then her widowed mother remarried there by taking control of Temerance's finances and turning her life upside down.
(cheesy ending) ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
An exciting historical romance that was filled with plenty of wonderfully humorous moments. Headstrong city girl Temperance must adapt to an un-modern Scotland and makes plenty of attempts to set James up with potential brides which ensues hilarity. I had a wonderful time reading about their developing romance and experiences along the way. ( )
  SweetLiar | May 5, 2016 |
Taming of the Shrew meets Pride and Prejudice.

I recently had a discussion with a co-worker about why I don't like the Stephanie Plum books. Based on that information, she decided I would like like this one, loaned it to me, and I felt obligated to read it even though it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from the books I usually like. I tried to give it a chance, but I hated every minute of it. The plot was an unoriginal mash up of two books that did it better, the storyline skipped around every time the author couldn't think of what to do next, the characters were oversimplified stereotypes, and the writing was bad.

I have nothing against anyone who likes this type of book, but now that I've tried one, I can say with complete certainty that they're not my cup of tea. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Temperance is independent young women ahead of her time in New York City that encourages women to be stronger. When her mother marries an uptight Scottish man, her world will forever change. Removing her from her banking accounts, he forces her to move to Scotland with her mother. Upon arrival, Temperance is furious and attempts to ruin her step-father by over spending. As a last resort, the father decides to send her to his nephew’s house with a mission to find the young man a wife. The book is about how Temperance changes as a person and how her idea of love and compassion transforms as she spends time with James McCarn.
I really enjoyed this book. I thought that her development was well portrayed. I quickly became very fond of the characters and then completely plunged in the book. Only downfall of this book would be that it is expected. Once she leaves to go to James’ house, I could already predict the ending. So I would just depict this book as a good summer read or chick flick. ( )
  OphelieOvize | Sep 27, 2012 |
Early suffragette and do-gooder Temperance O'Neil is incensed that her new stepfather is in control of her fortune and expects her to act like a dutiful, proper young lady. She continues to needle him until he sends her to his nephew, James's house with the promise that if she can find James a wife, he will allow her to return to New York and her work. What happens next is no surprise.

I generally love romance novels as a good guilty pleasure, but the breathy qualities of the narrator, combined with her insistence to perform a nearly unintelligible imitation of a Scottish brogue drove me nuts. It didn't help that I didn't realize this audiobook was an abridgement and there were jarring gaps in narrative. I might have liked it better in the print form, but the narration was too annoying. ( )
  kqueue | Jul 29, 2011 |

New York City, 1909: A woman ahead of her time, Temperance O'Neil is happily married to her work-helping single mothers on the city streets-which she funds with her inheritance. When her disapproving stepfather, Angus McCairn, cuts off her income, an infuriated Temperance has no choice but to do as he commands: live, as a proper unmarried lady, in the family's home in Edinburgh. She soon strikes up a bargain with the elder McCairn to win her passage home by agreeing to find a wife for his nephew, James-a task few would dare undertake. A brusque, strapping man, James McCairn has little use for the new "housekeeper" on his Highlands farm-though the place could surely use a woman's touch. But as she attempts to match James with his ideal mate, Temperance makes a surprising discovery: behind his gruff exterior is a kind, intelligent, caring soul. And his perfect match may surprise Temperance most of all....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743410181, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1909 New York City, Temperance O'Neil is an upper class intellectual exploring the few public forums allowed her: the campaign against the tenements and the emancipation of women. When her stepfather, Angus McCairn, demands that Temperance move to Scotland to begin a more proper life, she is stuck. Dependent on his control of her money, Temperance moves to Scotland but makes his life a circus of women's committees and good works. To distract her, Angus makes an irresistible offer--once she has found a wife for his reclusive nephew, James, she may return to New York with a modest stipend. Temperance agrees, and heads for the remote laird.

Once Temperance arrives, however, she realizes that the challenge of finding James a wife is equally as intimidating as the prospect of cleaning up a tenement. The house is in shambles, the local town depressed, and his welcome perfectly horrible. Faced with this task or the return to her stepfather, Temperance digs in and focuses all her energies on making James presentable and finding a willing bride. Impressed by her tenacity, James begins to care for her, and it looks like the search for a wife may be over, if Temperance agrees.

Temperance is the heroine we've been waiting for. The descendent of Jane Austen's women, she is smart, passionate, liberated, and true to her own ideals. While at the denouement of most stories the heroine melts into a slushy pile of self-contradictions, Deveraux's character stands strong in her convictions and wins the respect of the readers, if not her fellow characters. Just like the readers, romance heroines are securing the man, the fortune, and the good ending through the quality of their characters, and not by the leverage of their charms. Temperance is the hero that we all want to be, and Jude Deveraux's work is an entertaining medium for inspiration.--Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:42 -0400)

In 1909 New York City, women's rights activist Temperance O'Neil is shipped off to Scotland against her will to live with her old-fashioned stepfather and pose as a housekeeper to his nephew to help find a wife for the short-tempered James.

Jude Deveraux is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,411,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible