The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum

The Bourne Supremacy (1986)

by Robert Ludlum

Series: Bourne (2)

Recently added byprivate library, lcottereau, ushatten, Akpaddle, nvellis01, GaelynVenger, Paul-Sara

### From Publishers Weekly

Ludlum has never come up with a more head-spinning, spine-jolting, intricately mystifying, Armageddonish, in short Ludlumesque, thriller than this. A Peking leader of seemingly irreproachable reputation, secretly a Kuomintang fanatic, has masterminded a plot to take over Hong Kong via political assassination, the result of which would be civil war in China and possibly global disaster. His principal agent is an assassin-for-hire masquerading as the legendary "Jason Bourne," a one-time secret U.S. agent now, under his real name David Webb, struggling with the aid of a psychiatrist and his loving wife Marie to recover from amnesia. Only one man can destroy the conspiracy: Webb, who must be persuaded to re-assume his Bourne identity, track down the impostor and through him lay a trap for the vile Shengthe "persuasion" to be by way of his abducted wife. The action jolts from the back alleys of Hong Kong and Kowloon to a secret government complex in the Colorado mountains to the seats of power in Peking and even the interior of Mao's tomb. Every chapter ends with a cliff-hanger; the story brims with assassination, torture, hand-to-hand combat, sudden surprise and intrigue within intrigue. It's a sure-fire bestseller. 650,000 first printing; $150,000 ad/promo; BOMC selection; Franklin Library limited edition.
Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc.

### From Library Journal

In this sequel to The Bourne Identity , David Webb, still suffering flashbacks to his Jason Bourne persona, is forced to undertake a final, possibly fatal mission after his wife is kidnapped. He must find and capture an assassin who is posing as Bourne in Hong Kong. By so doing he'll foil a plot that could plunge the Far East and then the world into war. Ludlum's latest has a best seller quality that many imitate but few master. You can quibble about this being too long, too talky, too preposterously implausible, but you can't quit reading. As often happens with sequels, this is not quite up to the standards of the original, but legions of Ludlum fans will send it soaring up the best seller list. BOMC main selection. Charles Michaud, Turner Free Lib., Randolph, Mass.
Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I was disappointed to say the least. I read the majority of the reviews and after reading through the first 30% of the book I thought it may be better than what others were thinking. But once the last few chapters came around I wasn't wrapped around it so much that I couldn't put the book down. I was actually bored at times. This one just lacked the intense scenes that came from the first book to keep you enthralled to the end. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
Good in patches. Similar to the last book in that sometimes it gets bogged down in lots of twists and turns which I'm sure where very exciting in the Authors head, but didn't really do it for me on the page. When the action gets going it's quite enjoyable to read and I really do like the character of Jason Bourne. I think a little too much was made of the duality of Bourne/Webb and his ability to switch each one on and off seemingly at whim. My final complaint is that it was just far too long. The first in the trilogy was quite a long read with a couple of slow books, but this was quite a few pages more and I don't think that this was a good thing.

Still it certainly was a readable book with good points, I was just expecting a little bit more than was delivered. ( )
  fothpaul | Mar 20, 2013 |
An adventure from start to finish, fast , furious, twist and turns. So many countries, so many people, no one can be trusted. Viscious and violent. Book 2 in series. (fyi - This one I thought was the most violent and disturbing) ( )
  anita57 | Oct 3, 2011 |

Robert Ludlumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shannon Paige Ludlum
Welcome, my dear
Have a great life
Kowloon. The teeming final extension of China that is no part of the north except in spirit-but the spirit runs deep and descends into the caverns of men's souls without regard for the harsh, irrelevant practicalities of political borders.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553263226, Mass Market Paperback)

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Reenter the shadowy world of Jason Bourne, an expert assassin still plagued by the splintered nightmares of his former life. This time the stakes are higher than ever. For someone else has taken on the Bourne identity—a ruthless killer who must be stopped or the world will pay a devastating price. To succeed, the real Jason Bourne must maneuver through the dangerous labyrinth of international espionage—an exotic world filled with CIA plots, turncoat agents, and ever-shifting alliances—all the while hoping to find the truth behind his haunted memories and the answers to his own fragmented past. This time there are two Bournes—and one must die.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:59 -0400)

Super-diplomat Raymond Havilland sets up the kidnapping of Jason Bourne's wife, in order to draw Bourne out of retirement and into a Taiwanese plot to seize Hong Kong and incite China against the West.

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,105,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible