The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum

The Bourne Supremacy (1986)

by Robert Ludlum

Series: Bourne (2)

Fairly gripping book that was very deep into pre-Chinese take-over of Hong Kong from Great Britain politics and the ramifications if evil forces tried to disrupt attempts at an orderly handover. Of course, much of that was way over my head and the various factions and players and those ramifications were not at all clear, but since they seemed to really matter to the Government guys and ultimately to Jason Bourne and those in his camp, I tried to let go of that 'need to understand' of mine and tried to enjoy the ride....which i did. Reconnects obviously to the previous Bourne book, which i read quite a long time ago, but most of it came back to me. Amazing calculations, observations, language knowledge, survival skills great moral character and tons and tons of good luck make Jason Bourne/David Webb a very likable character that you have to root for with all your might! Very long book that took me a while to get through (more my life's fault - not the book), but well worth it. ( )
  jeffome | Oct 25, 2015 |
This book is no comparison to the Bourne identity. There are a lot of superfluous events and the dialogue is forced and disjointed. the entire book only relies on the mythos of Jason Bourne who can achieve anything and everything without a thought to realism.

The presentation of the conflict between Jason Bourne and David Webb, which, could have been presented as a real mental struggle is a tack on to the story and doors not add to the credence of the story ( )
  anantj | Sep 16, 2015 |
Be mindful, these are NOTHING like the movies. ( )
  SLHobbs | Sep 3, 2015 |
I tried so hard to like this book, I really did, but I just didn't enjoy it.

I loved The Bourne Identity, and I expected this book to follow in the same vein. Unfortunately, I just found a lot of this it to be bogged down in socio-political commentary. Parts of it felt to me like some kind of textbook..!

It's a real shame, but I just found it very difficult to get into and didn't really enjoy it.

Never mind, I can always reread The Bourne Identity..! ( )
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
Suspenseful until the end!
I'm liking this series. There is just enough political intrigue to keep me coming back. This time it was a more personal aspect for the character and with that added another dimension to the story that worked out quite well. I was a huge fan of Clancy novels and now I can say that I'm a Ludlum fan as well. ( )
  gopfolk | Dec 11, 2014 |

Robert Ludlumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shannon Paige Ludlum
Welcome, my dear
Have a great life
Kowloon. The teeming final extension of China that is no part of the north except in spirit-but the spirit runs deep and descends into the caverns of men's souls without regard for the harsh, irrelevant practicalities of political borders.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553263226, Mass Market Paperback)

Reenter the shadowy world of Jason Bourne, an expert assassin still plagued by the splintered nightmares of his former life. This time the stakes are higher than ever. For someone else has taken on the Bourne identity—a ruthless killer who must be stopped or the world will pay a devastating price. To succeed, the real Jason Bourne must maneuver through the dangerous labyrinth of international espionage—an exotic world filled with CIA plots, turncoat agents, and ever-shifting alliances—all the while hoping to find the truth behind his haunted memories and the answers to his own fragmented past. This time there are two Bournes—and one must die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

Super-diplomat Raymond Havilland sets up the kidnapping of Jason Bourne's wife, in order to draw Bourne out of retirement and into a Taiwanese plot to seize Hong Kong and incite China against the West.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible