The Call of the Wild by Jack London

The Call of the Wild (original 1903; edition 2012)

by Jack London

7,825None423 (3.74)300
Member:DeltaQueen50
Title:The Call of the Wild
Authors:Jack London
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 80 pages
Tags:Classic Children's Literature, 50 States Challenge: Alaska, TIOLI #5: Read a Book You've Been Meaning to Read All Year

The Call of the Wild by Jack London (1903)

20th century (52) adventure (280) Alaska (175) American (56) American literature (124) animals (190) children's (57) children's literature (35) classic (301) Classic Literature (45) classics (271) dogs (253) ebook (39) fiction (879) gold rush (50) historical fiction (48) Jack London (36) literature (141) nature (66) novel (110) own (35) read (90) sled dogs (40) survival (79) to-read (60) wilderness (70) wolves (130) YA (35) young adult (87) Yukon (46)
    White Fang by Jack London (Anonymous user, kxlly)
    Anonymous user: Jack London's other famous tale of dogs in the wild.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Sixteen in Nome by Max Brand (VictoriaPL)
    A Dog Named Wolf by Erik Munsterhjelm (bookel)
    Howl at the Moon by Robert Hogan (bookel)
    The Good Dog by Avi (bookel)
    War horse by Michael Morpurgo (LipstickAndAviators)
    LipstickAndAviators: Both are tales of an animal going through various hardships, many different masters and lots of adventures. The setting is very different, being about a cavalary horse in World War 1 but often the themes and scenarios are very similar.
    Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow (fundevogel)
    Finn the wolfhound by A. J. Dawson (infiniteletters)
    The Wolfling by Sterling North (bookel)
    The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna (hippietrail)

English (111)  German (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (116)
I really enjoyed reading the novel "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London. Of course I knew the story, and I probably watched the movie made from the book a very long time ago, but reading the novel was an entirely new experience. Although relatively short (7 chapters), it was incredibly detailed and very descriptive, and it really drew me in as a reader. It was a true story of "survival of the fittest" and a lot of life lessons were learned a long the way by Buck. Even though Buck was a dog (a rather large one), Jack London made his character very human like, and this possession of human characteristics made Buck's lessons relatable to human nature as well.

Buck started his life "civilized" on a Southern California estate, but was sold by a servant to a dog buyer in the North to pay off a debt. It was the time of the gold rush, and big, strong dogs were needed to pull sleds loaded with gold up North. Buck had to learn extremely fast in this new "savage like" world. Everyone was out for themselves, seeking fortune. And everyone included both humans and animals. This is where Buck's human like characteristics first started to become very relatable. Buck was intelligent, and quick thinking on his feet. Most of all he has very observant, and he learned almost immediately what he would have to do to survive while watching his "friends" (dogs) be torn to shreds by each other, and also beaten relentlessly by man.

Buck continued his transformation from "civilization" to "savage world" to now the wild. He learned the lesson of survival of the fittest, and found his position as a lead sled dog, a long way from his domestic home in Southern California. He went through masters that both treated him well, and ones who did not. He was rescued by his last "master" John Thorton, whom Buck fell a strong love and admiration for (more human like characteristics). It was with John that Buck made another observation, or discovery about himself. He yearned to be in the wild with other wild dogs, wolves. He yearned to hunt, stalk, and just be wild. It was as if John Thorton new this, and let this natural path take place for Buck. Buck's last kills (human) were against a group of Indians which killed John Thorton. Buck then slipped into a life in the wild, and his story became legendary.
  Phil9 | Mar 16, 2014 |
I wan't sure I was going to like a book like this but ended up reading it in one day. I'm still amazed how he wrote this incredible yet credible story which felt pretty much from the dog's POV and yet, not. The omniscient. I learned quite a bit from this story about mushing, the dogs, Alaska, and the period. Society conveniently forgets that our dogs descended from wolves and even though Buck was violently deprived of his posh former life, his regression to the wild was spiritually liberating. It was a gruesome story and I hate suffering in animals but I still appreciated it for the brilliant writing and look forward to more of London's writing. ( )
  KikiUnhinged | Feb 9, 2014 |
3.5 stars.

This is the story of Buck, a dog who lives with a family, but is then taken and sold and trained to work alongside sled-dogs in the Yukon during the gold rush. Buck is sold a few times to masters who all treat him differently, some kindly, some not-so-kindly. The story is told from Buck’s point of view. The edition I read has a foreword by Jean Craighead George, who wrote the Julie of the Wolves trilogy. There is an “About the author” at the end as well.

It took me a little bit to get into the book, but once I did I quite enjoyed it. I like reading the dog’s perspective. The information about Jack London I also enjoyed – it seems he had an interesting life. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 17, 2014 |
I read Call of the Wild. In the book, Buck (the main character), was a domesticated dog who lived on a farm. He was sold to be a sled dog and his life changed forever. Buck was put in a cage for many days until someone would buy him. He was beaten to show that the master had power over him. When someone bought him he was hooked up on the sled. Buck and Spitz (another sled dog) didn't get along from the beginning. When Buck became stronger and more powerful, Spitz was afraid that Buck would overpower him. When they had enough of each other Buck killed Spitz and took the role of lead dog. Then three people bought all of the dogs from the other owners. The three people didn't bring enough food for all of the dogs so the dogs became tired and couldn't pull the sled. Eventually Buck gave up and Jonathan (one of the men) was stabbed. They were left and on the side of the road while the sled left them. The sled broke through the ice and all the dogs and men died. Buck and Jonathan became good friends and went on many adventures together. Buck wanted to go with wolves but loved his new owner too much. When Jonathan died, Buck left and joined the wolves.

The book was rated a four. I would rate this book a three because for me it was hard to understand. I couldn't tell if it was being told from the dogs view or third person but about the dog. I would recommend it because it is a classic, but not for young kids. I definitely think it is a good book. I thought the ending was good because throughout the book he said that the wild was calling for him. I watched the movie and it was nothing like the book. I would recommend the book over the movie any day. ( )
  AlexaP.B3 | Jan 1, 2014 |
I like this book beacause is taking about nature. Also this book is inspirational to me beacause I really like being in the woods. The dogs were not well cared for because they didn't get to much food or water but they survive. ( )
  jorge10 | Nov 15, 2013 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a student's study guide

Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have known that trouble was brewing, not alone for himself, but for every tide-water dog, strong of muscle and with warm, long hair, from Puget Sound to San Diego.
[it was] because men, groping in the Arctic darkness, had found a yellow metal, and because steamship and transportation companies were booming the find, thousands of men were rushing into the Northland. These men wanted dogs, and the dogs they wanted were heavy dogs, with strong muscles by which to toil and furry coats to protect them from the frost.
This is the main work for The Call of the Wild by Jack London. Do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, or omnibus containing additional works.

For example, don't combine this work with the Companion Library edition that also has Black Beauty. THIS belongs to the PUBLISHER'S SERIES and the other DOES NOT.

This is the story of Buck, A St Bernard who was kidnapped from his home and sold into the frozen lands of Alaska.
He was sold to pull the sleds, and developed a reputation as 'The Dog Who Could." but all the while, the Call of the Wild Lands and the wolves was growing in his heart and soul. Men had shown themselves to not be the true friends he had once thought them - aside from his current, beloved master.
Buck's education in teh toughness and cunning needed to survive is an important and fascinating part of the story. When the time came to leave man's world and Answer that call, But was ready for it.
------------------------------------------
    MAN VERSUS DOG

Francois was angry. "Now, by Gar, I feex you!" he cried, coming back with a heavy club in his hand.
Buck retreated slowly. But he circled just beyond the range of the club, snarling with bitterness and rage ....

First published in 1903, The Call of the Wild is regarded as Jack London's masterpiece. Based on London's experiences as a gold prospector in the Canadian wilderness and his ideas about nature and the struggle for existence, The Call of the Wild is a tale about unbreakable spirit and the fight for survival in the frozen Alaskan Klondike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:39 -0400)

The adventures of an unusual dog, part St. Bernard, part Scotch shepherd, that is forcibly taken to the Klondike gold fields where he eventually becomes the leader of a wolf pack.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140186514, 0141321059, 0141336544

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible