The Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy

The Copper Beech

by Maeve Binchy

Full house by Maeve Binchy (Fliss88)
    Fliss88: This is a Quick Read title.
    The Builders (Gemma Open Door) by Maeve Binchy (Fliss88)
    Fliss88: This is a Quick Read title.

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
This is the story of small town anywhere. Everyone knows everyone else and everyone keeps tabs on what is going on, which is why I really loved the way this book is written, because each little story about one character overlaps in the way it should for people in a small town. This was a quick book to read and I really enjoyed the interactions of the characters and the crossing of the lives of the kids as they grew and changed. Some times I was moved, some times I was so angry at a character I wanted to smack them, some times I was smiling ear to ear as a character overcame some low point in their lives to move beyond what was expected and into something wonderful. That is life anywhere and it was enjoyable to see it so well handled here. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 15, 2014 |
Maeve Binchy's The Copper Beech is set in the small village of Shancarrig, where the small schoolhouse is dominated by a huge old copper beech tree, which over the years has seen generations of children come in and grow up. Junior Assistant Mistress Maddy Ross takes care of the very youngest students, but her true interests lie in the parish rather than the school; young Maura is from the wrong side of the tracks but full of kindness; Leo is the richest girl in town but holds the darkest secret of all; Eddie loves plants and flowers, things a boy shouldn't care about in this insular world; and Nessa is a determined young girl who wants to better herself. How all these children, and others, live and grow up and find their places in life is the heart of the story, and there are many suprises along the way.... As always, I enjoyed Binchy's gentle tales, really a collection of individual stories about each of her characters that are woven together to create a whole portrait of the world of a small Irish village in the 1950s and on. I don't think this is her best work, but it's very much a part of her general oevre, and as such it's a wonderful, quiet read. Recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Apr 11, 2013 |
60 pages, you can read it all in an easy sitting, or for someone just starting to read, it's a light, enjoyable story of family secrets, and growing up. ( )
  Fliss88 | Mar 18, 2013 |
This is the story of the village of Shancarrig in Ireland told through the eyes of villagers and others whose lives crossed the school. Much of the action focuses somewhat on the village school and its beech tree upon which names had been carved over the years. There is a great deal of overlap in the stories as each person's life intersected with someone else's at some point. While I cannot identify a specific problem with the writing, it's a book that just failed to engage me as a reader. It may have been a matter of trying to read it at the wrong point in my life. It may have been the overlap in the stories. It may have been that each story had its own chapter, that the chapters were longer than they are in many books, and that there just weren't enough "breaking points." I really don't know. I did manage to stick with it, although it just took me about four times as long as it should have taken to get through. ( )
  thornton37814 | Aug 14, 2012 |
My daughter Laurie has previously mentioned this favorite author and when she died July 30, 2012, Laurie told this book was her favorite Binchy novel so I read it. It tells of kids who go to a village school, and how they proceed to emerge from ht trials aof their youth. Some do wll, others less well, but all the accounts are full of interest and many are highly poignant. Especially movind was an accoun of a child lving in the village with her aunt anduncle and who feeared her father in Chicago would come and take her with him away from her Irish home. Some of the lives of the characters are filled with darkness. The school, by the epnymous tree, is sold at the end of the book and who will get it is a source of tension. A thouralghy engaging and ofen highly poignant book, very easy to read ( )
  Schmerguls | Aug 5, 2012 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grasman, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gordon, who has made my life so good and happy, with all my gratitude and love.
Father Gunn knew that their housekeeper Mrs. Kennedy could have done it all much better than he would do it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440213290, Mass Market Paperback)

In the Irish town of Schancarrig, the young people carve their initials-and those of their loves—into the copper beech tree in front of the schoolhouse. But not even Father Gunn, the parish priest, who knows most of what goes on behind Shancarrig's closed doors, or Dr. Jims, the village doctor, who knows all the rest, realizes that not everything in the placid village is what it seems.

Unexpected passions and fear are bringing together the lives of so many, such as the sensitive new priest and Miss Ross, the slight, beautiful schoolteacher... Leonora, the privileged daughter of the town's richest family and Foxy Dunne, whose father did time in jail...and Nessa Ryan, whose parents run Ryan's Hotel, and two very different young men. For now the secrets in Shancarrig's shadows are starting to be revealed, from innocent vanities and hidden loves to crimes of the heart...and even to murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:49 -0400)

In the Irish town of Schancarrig, the young carve their initials--and those of their loves-into the copper beech tree in front of the schoolhouse. But not even Father Gunn, the parish priest, who knows most of what goes on behind Shancarrig's closed doors, or Dr. Jims, the village doctor, who knows all the rest, realizes that not everything in the placid village is what it seems.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible