Sheets by Brenna Thummler

Sheets (2018)

by Brenna Thummler

2018 (2) 2018read (1) ARC (4) comics (1) contemporary (1) depression (1) ebook (2) family (1) fantasy (2) fiction (1) ghosts (6) graphic (2) graphic novel (5) graphic novels (4) grief (4) juvenile (1) kidsread (1) middle grade (2) netgalley (2) own (1) paranormal (3) read (1) ri2018 (1) signed (1) teen (2) to-read (1) tween (1) unread (1) wii4rv (1) YA (1)

I really liked it. Touching, moving, quirky, eerily lowkey ominous, heartwarming story. I liked the art style a lot too. Recommend! ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
Casper the Friendly Ghost for the 21st century. Wendell, the little dead boy in this graphic novel, haunts a teenage girl whose family is falling apart following the death of her mother. As if trying to keep her family business out of the clutches of an obvious (living) villain weren't enough, she has to deal with a ghost who isn't very good at being a ghost. It's a fairly sweet story despite all the death and mourning, though the ending is a bit abrupt and pat.

The oddly pale color palette actually works well with the quirky line work of the art. ( )
  villemezbrown | Oct 18, 2018 |
A young middle school girl, Marjorie, is dealing with the grief of losing her mother and her father's overwhelming grief, as well as school bullies. She's also trying to run her late mother's laundry business. This storyline becomes intertwined with the story of Wendall, a ghost, who is not adapting well to his new life as a ghost. It is Wendall's storyline which can be a bit off-kilter. The two stories merge and there is a much too neat rap-up in the end. Our library has it in the teen department but older elementary would do fine with this graphic novel. Enjoyable. ( )
  geraldinefm | Oct 10, 2018 |
This was a quick and charming read. Intended for middle schoolers, this graphic novel will have a wide appeal with lots of ages, especially teens and adults. Sheets deals with depression, the loss of a family member, dealing with bullies, and self esteem. It's poignant and funny, and not something readers will soon forget. Marjorie Glatt is just trying to survive middle school and to top it off she has to run her family's laundry mat while her dad deals with a deep depression after the sudden death of her mother last year. It's a lot of pressure on a young girl, who just wants to keep the family business alive. To make matters worse she has a feeling that there is a ghost who keeps coming in at night, trying to sabotage her business. Will this poor girl ever get a break? ( )
  ecataldi | Sep 15, 2018 |
BOOOOOOOHOOOOO!! Whimsical Comic with adorable art work. I have never reviewed this type of book before but it was surprisingly enjoyable. I was a bit confused with the back story in "Sheets" but it held my interest all the way. Marjorie Glatt is working to keep the family laundry business running smoothly after the death of her mother. Wendell is or was an eleven year old boy who died and who is now dealing with the land beyond. Young ghost on the hunt for a friend finds Marjorie deep in the reality of trying to overcome her grief and keeping a roof over her head. Quick, entertaining, escape. "A copy of this book was provided by Diamond Book Distributors via NetGalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion." ( )
  marandajo | Aug 28, 2018 |
It's difficult to list, in order, the things I hate. But I can say with no uncertainty that laundry and ghosts are currently tied for first.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible