Come Tumbling Down by Seanan McGuire

Come Tumbling Down

by Seanan McGuire

"Come Tumbling Down picks up the threads left dangling by Every Heart a Doorway and Down Among the Sticks and Bones-it's both a standalone delight and a treat for longtime fans of the series. When we Jack left Eleanor West's School for Wayward Children she was carrying the body of her deliciously deranged sister-whom she had recently murdered in a fit of righteous justice-back to their home on the Moors. But death in their adopted world isn't always as permanent as it is here, and when Jack is herself carried back into the school, it becomes clear that something has happened to her. Something terrible. Something of which only the maddest of scientists could conceive. Something only her friends are equipped to help her overcome. Eleanor West's "No Quests" rule is about to be broken. Again"--… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Come Tumbling Down
Authors:Seanan McGuire
Info:Tom Doherty Associates
Collections:Read, Read this year, ebooks, Working on
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!Po, Fic, SF, __make_cover, _import200129

Come Tumbling Down by Seanan McGuire

I enjoyed finding out what happened after Jack took Jill back through their door in Every Heart a Doorway, and getting a bit more of the two sisters' stories. But I felt "the quest" and subsequent "battle" were over in the blink of an eye. Still, a satisfying ending... for this particular story. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Feb 13, 2020 |
An adventure the likes of which only the Wayward Children, who are growing up quite a bit, could have. Absorbing and darkly delightful. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Feb 7, 2020 |
Rich and strange - like all the Jack and Jill stories in this series, rather grim and gory, and not my favorites. There's quite a lot of mental disturbance of one sort or another (and some physical disturbance, at that). But there's also love and friendship and alliance, and some vivid adventures. I quite like Bones - better than Pony, anyway. Jack does some neat maneuvering with the rules of her world. Definitely worth reading, and probably rereading. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 4, 2020 |
Jack left Eleanor West's School for Wayward Children carrying the body of her twin sister, Jill, whom she had just killed in righteous rage at Jill's murders among the other residents of the school. She took Jill's body back to the Moors, the world their Door took them to--and where death is not quite so permanent as in ours.

When a Door appears in the basement room that used to be Jack's and is now Christopher's he recognizes it as being from the Moors. He doesn't recognize the young woman who steps through, carrying what is either Jack or Jill, either unconscious or dead.

The truth turns out to be more complicated, of course. The body is Jill's body, unconscious. The person inside that body is Jack. The young woman carrying her is Alexis, Jack's lover. Jill, still determined to become a vampire, can't do so in a body that has already died once, so she stole Jack's. Jack's OCD won't let her live indefinitely in Jill's body, especially knowing what Jill has done with it.

Alexis has brought Jack back to the school to get help recovering Jack's own body.

Eleanor West has a Rule: No Quests. Awkward, but rules are meant to be broken, right? Christopher, Cora, Kade, and Sumi let Eleanor know where they're going and head off to the Moors with Alexis and Jack. What follows is an adventure that makes sense in the Moor, and more broadly in the universe of the Wayward Children and the Doors that take them to the worlds that suit them. The Moors, like the other worlds we've seen in this universe, is complex, detailed, and very much lived-in. Jack and her friends need to make hard choices in a complicated situation, and there's little to no chance of them all coming out the other end alive. Yet there's real warmth and friendship and loyalty, and also humor.

Recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Jan 25, 2020 |
As much as I felt I was done with Jack and Jill, this sequel to 'Down Among the Sticks and Stones' was well-told and full of everything I've come to expect from a 'Wayward' book.

Christopher is brooding in his room when lightning begins striking in his room. The noise draws the attention of the lovelorn Cora and they witness an oak and iron door appear. This is not their door, but Jack and Jill's come again. A large, mute girl carries a prone figure in a lacy gown through the door and into the room. It's Jack, and she's come to the school asking for help.

As Eleanor has warned them, quests are a hard habit to break, and knowing the risks of such a dangerous world as the Moors, Christopher, Cora, Sumi and Kade accompany Jack and Alexis back there.

Cora and Sumi's characters are explored more thoroughly here, which was nice. I'll welcome another story about these children any day.

Wayward Children

Next: '?'

Previous: 'In an Absent Dream' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Jan 20, 2020 |
I am what I am, and there's much about me that won't be changed with any amount of wishing or wanting. I'm sorry for that. I'd trade a great deal to share an afternoon in the hay with you, dust in the air and sweat on our skins and neither of us caring. But I'm afraid the experience would drive me mad. I am a creature of sterile environments. It's too late for me to change. --Jack Wolcott
For Jillian, who would recognize the Moors. They will always be waiting to welcome you home.
Eleanor West was fond of saying--inasmuch as she was fond of saying anything predictable, sensible, or more than once--that her school had no graduates, only students who found somewhere else to do their learning for a time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,383,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible