The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

The Horse Whisperer (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Nicholas Evans

4,519721,526 (3.57)81
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Horse Whisperer
Authors:Nicholas Evans
Info:Corgi Books (1996), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans (1995)

English (58)  Dutch (6)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (72)
Its been many years ago since I read this but I remember I loved it. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
Its been many years ago since I read this but I remember I loved it. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | May 1, 2018 |
Leslie big 6
  janicearkulisz | Feb 16, 2018 |
The Horse Whisperer is about a man who can communicate with horses, a young girl and her horse who were badly injured in an accident and her mother who wants to heal her daughter. Well written and an interesting story. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 20, 2017 |
Every February our local library does a "blind date with a book" They take all genre's of books,wrap them in newspapers & put a red bow on them. Patrons "pick a blind date" check it out and rate the book for prizes. My first "blind date" this year is THE HORSE WHISPERER BY NICHOLAS EVANS. Keep in mind you do not know what type of book you get until you unwrap it,which is part of the fun!

I have a love/hate relationship with these subjects of books. I loved it( I read it in only three days) and I hate it because I cried thru parts of it & I hate to cry while reading,my husband and son make fun of me! This book plays to basic emotions. The characters could be your best friends or relatives . I cried when Grace had her accident. I cried for her I cried for Promise! (I am a horse lover) I was hurt when I read of the extensive damage Promise lived thru. I cheered when Tom Booker started working with Promise & I cried and cheered all the way thru the book.

THE HORSE WHISPERER is a rollercoaster of a book that plays on emotions of the reader. No wonder the movie of the same title did so well. I would give it a ten star if I could. ( )
  DDJTJ1 | Feb 4, 2017 |

Nicholas Evansprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pursue not the outer entanglements,
Dwell not in the inner void;
Be serene in the oneness of things,
And dualism vanishes by itself.

From 'On Trust in the Heart'
by Seng-t'san (d.606)
For Jennifer
There was death at its beginning as there would be death again at its end.

Two carefree teenagers go for an afternoon ride, never knowing that horror lies beyond the hill.
As they crest it and their horses skate down the thick slope they heard the horn of an 18-wheeler on the road below....

When Grace awoke in her hospital bed she discovered they had amputated her leg, her dreams of a career in the showring dead.
Then she found they had locked her beloved horse in a dark, filthy stall - his injuries, nearly as serious as hers, untended. He had gone savagely wild from the mistreatment, and she was now terrified of her beloved horse, as well as broken in spirit due to her shattered body.
Then her mother sees an ad and ignores all advice in an attempt to save them both...

A CHILD WOUNDED IN BODY AND SPIRIT
    A HORSE DRIVEN MAD BY PAIN
    A WOMAN FIGHTING TO SAVE THEM BOTH

His name is Tom Booker.
His voice can calm wild horses, his touch can heal broken spirits.
And Annie Graves has traveled across a continent to the Booker Ranch in Montana, desperate to heal her injured daughter, the girl's savage horse, and her own wounded heart.
She comes for hope. She comes for her child. And beneath the wide Montana sky, she comes to him for what no one else can five her: A reason to believe.

Read the book or watch the movie. Don't do both or you will be trying to break something.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440222656, Paperback)

The Horse Whisperer is a story made in Hollywood heaven. The novel was written by a first-time author, and the film option was snapped up by aging heartthrob Robert Redford for 3 million smackers. Why take such risks on a brand-spanking-new author? The answer becomes clear upon reading the touching tale.

One morning while teenage Grace Maclean is riding Pilgrim, her goofy, loveable pony, she has a horrendous glass-shattering, bone-splintering, ligament-lynching meeting with a megaton truck that leaves her and her four-legged friend damaged in mind, body, and spirit. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, her jaded, brilliant, bitchy mom, Annie Graves (Kristin Scott Thomas in the 1998 film) is working out a wrinkle in her self-absorbed existence when she gets a call at her plush, Manhattan office about Grace's accident. Racked with guilt, Graves makes it her calling to find the mythical horse whisperer, an equine Zen master who has the ability to heal horses (and broken souls) with soothing words and a gentle touch. Just when it seems he can't be found, what do you know, she finds him. He arrives in the form of Tom Booker-- a rugged, sensitive, dreamy cowboy who helps Pilgrim and Grace repair their fractured selves. To add more mesquite to fire, Booker has a way with not-so-injured, attractive, married women--like Annie. As the plot thickens, so does the familial strife, which threatens to undo Booker's healing work.

Like an expert cinematographer, Evans deftly crafts each scene with precision and clarity, sprinkling in ominous signs and foreboding images. For example, in the opening paragraphs, as Annie starts out on the tragic ride, she comes across a bloody bird wing that seems to have fallen out of nowhere. The weight of impending doom is further strengthened by the truck driver's bad luck--he has a run-in with the highway patrol just moments before his meeting with Grace and Pilgrim. These not-so-subtle subliminal messages are masterfully stitched in throughout the story and may compel readers to act as if they were watching a B-grade horror movie, shouting aloud, "Don't go there!" However sentimental, The Horse Whisperer is an engaging read, sort of like a finely tuned, well-edited film. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:44 -0400)

A forty-ton truck hurtles out of control on a snowy country road, a teenage girl on horseback in its path. In a few terrible seconds the life of a family is shattered. And a mother's quest begins--to save her maimed daughter and a horse driven mad by pain. It is an odyssey that will bring her to The Horse Whisperer. He is the stuff of legend. His voice can calm wild horses and his touch heals broken spirits. For secrets uttered softly into pricked and troubled ears, such men were once called Whisperers. Now Tom Booker, the inheritor of this ancient gift, is to meet his greatest challenge. Annie Graves has traveled across a continent with her daughter, Grace, and their wounded horse, Pilgrim, to the Booker ranch in Montana. Annie has risked everything--her career, her marriage, her comfortable life--in her desperate belief that the Whisperer can help them. The accident has turned Pilgrim savage. He is now so demented and dangerous that everyone says he should be destroyed. But Annie won't give up on him, for she feels his fate is inextricably entwined with that of her daughter, who has retreated into a heartrending, hostile silence. Annie knows that if the horse dies, something in Grace will die too. In the weeks to come, under the massive sky of the Rocky Mountain Front, all their lives--including Tom Booker's--will be transformed forever in a way none could have foretold. At once an epic love story and a gripping adventure, The Horse Whisperer weaves an extraordinary tale of healing and redemption--a magnificent emotional journey that explores our ancient bonds with earth and sky and hearts untamed. It is a stirring elegy to the power of belief and self-discovery, to hopes lost and found again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,504,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible