Everything She Didn't Say by Jane…

Everything She Didn't Say (edition 2018)

by Jane Kirkpatrick (Author)

Member:milibrarian
Title:Everything She Didn't Say
Authors:Jane Kirkpatrick (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:historical fiction, journalists, American west, exploration

Everything She Didn't Say by Jane Kirkpatrick

I received this book for free from the publisher (Revell Books) in exchange for an honest review.

This book provided a fascinating glimpse into the real life of Carrie Strahorn, a famous pioneer woman. Prior to reading this book, I had never even heard of her.

I loved how the book focused on the things Carrie didn’t say in her memoir. It gave a nuanced portrayal of the actuality and hardships of being a pioneer, as well as just being a woman during her time. I also liked how it explored her complicated relationship with her husband. It showed both the ups and downs of their marriage.

The author did a tremendous amount of research and it really showed throughout the book. The book is rich in details and in facts. There is even an author’s note at the end, explaining what was fact and what was fiction.

This book is published by a Christian publisher so there is a Christian element to it, but it’s very subtle and well done.

My one critique is that the story dragged a bit in the middle since it was just Carrie and her husband constantly traveling. I got a little lost in it. Once they got settled down in a town the book picked up again.

Overall, I really enjoyed learning about Carrie and the author did an amazing job portraying her life. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Oct 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love reading historic fiction, and Jane Kirkpatrick's blends facts with fiction to bring the story and the characters to life! She took the memoir of Carrie Strahorn, and created a story about her life in the early west that is just amazing!. Those were very courageous and strong women who helped our country expand! It also shows that although your life may not turn out in the way you expected, it can still be remarkable! If you enjoyed this book, be sure to check out some of Jane's other historic fiction....you won't be sorry! ( )
  macnoid | Sep 30, 2018 |
I love how Jane Kirkpatrick can take a diary or memoir and fill in to make a person seem so real. She does it so well here. I loved Carrie. I wasn’t always thrilled with her husband who seems a bit conceited. She has an interesting life. I don’t know if I would have done many of the things that she did. She was a very brave woman. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Sep 22, 2018 |
The author made me feel like I was sitting in the same room with Carrie/Dell, and I was traveling and experiencing amazing new frontiers, traveling by stage and being in Indian War country.
Carrie became a friend and loved that the whole book is mainly fact, wow, makes everything so very real, and I felt the pain that she was never really given her heart’s desire.
While Carrie stayed by choice in her husband’s shadow, she sure accomplished a lot on her own, and helping build her church seemed to be one of her cherished achievements.
A really compelling read, filled with history and strong pioneers who helped build the western part of this country. The author did a great job of telling Carrie Strahorn’s story!

I received this book through Revell Publishing, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Sep 21, 2018 |
Will Rogers said he never meet a man he didn’t like, well I never read a Jane Kirkpatrick book I didn’t like! Her books always draw me in because they are about real people and history. She never ceases to amaze me how she fleshes out the historical facts she has with emotions and details to make the reader feel like they are living actual events. She has introduced me to so many women that played important roles in the past that I have never heard of.
Carrie Strahorn lived an exciting and adventurous life that few women in her time had the opportunity to experience.
When she married Robert Strahorn she believed her dreams would be fulfilled; children, a home, being a homemaker and entertaining friends and family as her mother had. After her the vows her said, she quickly found her life would be nothing like this. In fact it would be totally the opposite. Her husband Robert Strahorn was a writer for the railroad, creating detailed pamphlets to attract people to move west and settle with the purpose of creating communities and towns where the railroad would eventually travel through.
To say this was a passion of his is an understatement. Travel almost constant travel by train, stage coach, and ship spanned a period of 45 years. There were not the comforts and amenities we have now not to mention how rough, dangerous, exhausting those modes of travel were. I don’t know how she survived. A long car trip does me in! I loved the part where they rode and cow catcher on the front of the train for a thrill; hilarious but frightening!
I greatly admired her dedication and commitment to her marriage. It was far from perfect, but she chose to be the best wife she could and turn to the Lord to deal with her many hurts and struggles. Ms. Strahorn wrote a memoir, Fifteen Thousand Miles by Stage. There are excerpts from this book at the end of each chapter. I am looking forward to reading this book also and of course the next one Ms. Kirkpatrick writes!
I received this book from Revell Publishing in exchange for an honest review. The opinions I have stated are my own

. ( )
  Mizroady | Sep 21, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jane Kirkpatrick's book Everything She Didn't Say is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,447,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible