Rise of the Mystics (Beyond the Circle) by…

Rise of the Mystics (Beyond the Circle) (edition 2018)

by Ted Dekker (Author)

Member:Barb_H
Title:Rise of the Mystics (Beyond the Circle)
Authors:Ted Dekker (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 416 pages
Collections:Read, Won Giveaway, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Paperback, Fiction, Owned, Read in 2019, LT Giveaway, Series: Beyond the Circle, Fantasy, Christian, Supernatural, Science Fiction

Rise of the Mystics (Beyond the Circle) by Ted Dekker

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an Advanced Reader's Copy from LibraryThing Early Reviewer Giveaway.

This book picked up right where the first book left off. It took a little while to really build up steam, but about halfway through the pace picked up quite a bit and it became difficult to put it down. I'd recommend it for fans of Ted Dekker and Christian Sci-Fi. It's a bit heavy handed on the preachiness that might be a turn off to non Christians. ( )
  Barb_H | Feb 17, 2019 |
Review :Rise of The Mystics by Ted Dekker. 02/06/2019

This is an Early Reviewer’s book that I thought was interesting. I wish I would have known it was the second book to a series. There was very short information about the first book at the beginning of this book, somewhat helpful. I did fill in some of the gaps that happened in the first book. The writing was powerful and captivating but I couldn’t help thinking through the science fiction to a religious style in the story. By the end of the book I was right about the religious parts of the story. As a story alone it was mesmerizing and thought provoking.

In Utah a girl named Rachelle went to sleep and dreamed that she woke up in another world. In this other World Rachelle learns she is the 49th Mystic and her task is a quest of looking for five ancient seals. She travels from the real World to the other World seeking these seals and had no trouble finding the first three seals but she is apprehended and placed in a dungeon by an enemy named Vlad Smith who wants to destroy her. The other two seals were well hidden and Rachelle needed help or both Worlds would be lost to her.

The story deals with difficult issues and the author was a mastermind embedding ideas throughout the story towards finding the truth in love. Ted Dekker opens the reader’s eyes to captivate Rachelle’s emotions of the heart and to face her fears through struggling within the quest to find the right path to follow. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rachelle Matthews lives in two different worlds. She goes between the two worlds when she dreams. In one world, people are holding her hostage in a top secret facility and wiping her memories. In the other, people are also holding her hostage in a dungeon. When she escapes, they chase her down and try to kill her. It's a little confusing sometimes going back and forth, but it's worth it. ( )
  cathemarie | Jan 16, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read the Circle books many years ago and don't remember much about them other than the basic premise, but that was enough for me to enjoy and get a lot of out of this book and its predecessor, The 49th Mystic. I have heard that the author had a spiritual awakening some years before writing this, and it is evident in the book. While the story takes place in the same two worlds as the Circle, there is much more spiritual depth and searching and growth here. Even if one doesn't completely agree with the theology presented here, the book is a worthy read and a valuable spiritual exercise for Christians. ( )
  dutchgirldtd | Jan 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have been a big fan of Dekker since I read the Circle Trilogy years ago. The 49th Mystic and Rise of the Mystics is old school Dekker at it's best. After all, he really just duplicated his success with Thomas Hunter with a twist. Everything isn't perfect in this new series, but I will get to that in a bit.

First, lets look at what is good:
- The book reads easy as all of Dekkers, despite repeating themes multiple times. Sometimes this is helpful, sometimes a little repetitive.
- The Seals, or "Truths" Rachelle is searching for are well thought through and keep the reader thinking, even if they have a mature faith.
- There are enough "surprises" that the story stays interesting. Where as there is some predictability, the plot stays engaging to the end.
- The Christian faith is evident, but adds to the story vs takes away from it.
- I have never read any other book that correctly captures the challenge of surrendering and changing the way we think and process as Dekker has done here. This is the struggle of every Christian and the desire of all people. What does it mean to change, but to do it it the strength of the Spirit, not our own? This is really the journey Rachelle is on and Dekker has captured it in vivid detail.

Now for a few things that could have been better:
- I love Dekker's fantasy world of Other Earth. He has created a whole alternate reality around it. However, he isn't true to the laws he put in place for it. In some ways, I felt betrayed, that he cheated by changing the rules to fit the story he wanted to tell. I am not convinced this was even needed, but it is what it is.
- One of the problems of telling stories in an alternate reality, a story world, is the need for congruence. This would have worked perfectly if Dekker had not tried to force a "circle" with the book Green (it should never have been written). Since he did, though, the Rise of the Mystics makes a great story, but breaks the timeline in Other Earth. Both Green and the Rise of the Mystics can't be true. Now, if you take the Mystic books as an alternate ending to Black, Red and White then it is much easier on our linear minds stuck in polarity.

Those are really the only two negatives I have. Dekker does a great job, as usual, creating enjoyable character and drawing the reader through an engaging story. I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a good book and desiring to wrestling through their faith as well. Dekker pushes into the realm of Universalism, which I strongly disagree with, but he doesn't state it directly. He keeps enough room for the reader to find their own way.

These would be great books to read and discuss in a group. Regardless, they are an enjoyable read! ( )
  PhilD41 | Dec 26, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ted Dekker's book Rise of the Mystics is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible