Indecency by Justin Phillip Reed

Indecency (edition 2018)

by Justin Phillip Reed (Author)

Winner of the 2018 National Book Award in Poetry Indecency is boldly and carefully executed and perfectly ragged. In these poems, Justin Phillip Reed experiments with language to explore inequity and injustice and to critique and lament the culture of white supremacy and the dominant social order. Political and personal, tender, daring, and insightful--the author unpacks his intimacies, weaponizing poetry to take on masculinity, sexuality, exploitation, and the prison industrial complex and unmask all the failures of the structures into which society sorts us.… (more)
Member:benkroll
Title:Indecency
Authors:Justin Phillip Reed (Author)
Info:Coffee House Press (2018), 112 pages
Collections:Poetry

Indecency by Justin Phillip Reed

This collection focuses on life as a gay black man in America. I found the second half to be more poignant than the first--but maybe I got used to his style? Reed uses space on the page and word positioning very effectively. I liked this collection, though there were some poems I did not understand.

In the notes, he reveals more about his inspirations for specific poems, as well as other works referenced. I ended up re-reading several of these poems, as the info in the notes helped make more sense of them. In the acknowledgements he reveals that these poems were written while in the grip of depression, which I got from my reading, though I would have doubted my interpretation without his mentioning it. ( )
  Dreesie | Jan 27, 2020 |
From the NBA longlist for poetry - this is a stunning collection dealing with issues of race and sexual orientation and the intersection of the two. These poems are complex and often manage to be both cerebral and visceral. The author is inspired by the killings of unarmed black men and a local case of a black wrestler accused of killing others by deliberately infecting other men with HIV. Societal perceptions of race and sexuality are explored. The author also plays with form - both the physical layout and technical structure. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,825,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible