The Talking Eggs by Robert D. San Souci

The Talking Eggs

by Robert D. San Souci

I clearly remember reading this in elementary school. It will be one of the books that I absolutely make sure that my children read. ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
The message of this story is to be kind and follow directions. Blanche was kind to the old woman and did everything exactly as she told her, even though she was tempted otherwise. Following the old woman’s directions rewarded Blanche with fine gifts. Her sister, Rose, did not follow directions and was chased by creatures. The plot of the story was very intriguing. The old woman told Blanche not to laugh at what she saw at her house, but I never expected there to be a cow with two heads or rainbow colored chickens. The story was very imaginative and captured my interest from start to finish. I also loved the illustrations of this book. The pictures were incredibly detailed and represented the text perfectly. This book was very interesting and enjoyable to read and showed a different cultural perspective on traditional fantasy. ( )
  EmilySadler | May 1, 2014 |
Reading this book, I didn't think I was going to enjoy it at first, but I was very surprised. It is a twist on the traditional Disney Cinderella story. A young girl is having family problems, but gets help with a little bit of magic. I would read this book to prek-middle school kids. It is very interesting to see what is going to happen next and all the crazy events that happen will shock you. The illustrations almost seem life-like. ( )
  sdeshotel | Feb 26, 2014 |
How can you go wrong with Robert San Souci AND Jerry Pinkney? ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
Good lesson, but scary - head off?!! No way! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |

Robert D. San Souciprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinkney, JerryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carol Tomas, whose friendship and support are constant in an inconstant world. - RSS
To my granddaugher Charnelle - JP
Back in the old days there was a widow with two daughters named Rose and Blanche.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0803706197, Hardcover)

Two sisters lived down Louisiana way long ago: Rose, who was unpleasant, mean, and the older of the two; and her younger sister, Blanche, who was "sweet and kind and sharp as forty crickets." Guess who has to do all the work for Rose and their mother? Blanche's kind and obedient nature finally pays off when she helps an old woman who has magical powers--and a chicken house full of talking eggs containing treasures for those who do as they're told: gold and silver, jewels, silk dresses, satin shoes, "even a handsome carriage that grew in a wink from the size of a matchbox...." Robert D. San Souci's lively, humorous retelling of this Creole folktale abounds with colorful expressions, and Jerry Pinkney's full-page illustrations make us believe in the marvels that Blanche finds, even the two-headed cow, square-dancing rabbits, and rainbow-colored chickens! This inspired collaboration, a 1989 Caldecott Honor Book, will delight young readers who like a captivating story with a strong heroine and a dash of mystery. (Ages 5 to 10) --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:14 -0400)

A Southern folktale in which kind Blanche, following the instructions of an old witch, gains riches, while her greedy sister makes fun of the old woman and is duly rewarded.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,211,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible