The Librarian: The Top 10 Sunday Times…

The Librarian: The Top 10 Sunday Times Bestseller (edition 2018)

by Salley Vickers (Author)

Member:QuestingA
Title:The Librarian: The Top 10 Sunday Times Bestseller
Authors:Salley Vickers (Author)
Info:Penguin (2018), 400 pages
Collections:Books read in 2019

The Librarian by Salley Vickers

In 1958 twenty-four-year-old Sylvia Blackwell takes up the post of Children’s Librarian in the run-down library of a small market town. She is passionate about improving this section of the library and about encouraging local children to find as much pleasure from reading books as she did when she was a child. When she falls in love with an older married man, not only does she risk losing her job, but the future of the children’s section of the library is put in jeopardy. However, it is her relationships with the man’s daughter and her neighbour’s young son which will have an ongoing, permanent effect on their lives.
I never thought I would find myself finding a book by Salley Vickers a disappointment! Having read and enjoyed all her previous novels, I had looked forward with so much anticipation to her latest story but had this been my first experience of her story-telling, I’m not sure I would have felt encouraged to read any of her earlier work. For me, one of the hallmarks of her writing has always been her creative use of her psychotherapy training, not only in her explorations of the complexities of her characters’ personalities but also in the themes she develops. However, in this novel I found the writing style naïve and rather one-dimensional, to the extent that I wondered at which age group the story was targeted. I can imagine that most of its content would appeal to very young teenagers, although certain explicit sexual descriptions would be inappropriate for this age group.
Throughout the story there are repetitive reflections on several contemporary social iniquities, particularly the divisive nature of the 11+ exam, class divisions and women’s lack of power. All were important in 1950s Britain and were evocatively described, but I found the author’s approach too repetitive, over-determined and preachy, to the extent that I frequently felt like shouting “Enough – I’ve got the message!” From someone who usually makes every word count in her writing, this came as a huge surprise.
I thought that the various children were convincingly portrayed but found that most of the adult characterisations, although recognisable, bordered on being stereotypical caricatures. Again, this came as a shock because another hallmark of this author’s previous books has been her convincing, nuanced depictions of all her characters.
Approximately the final ten percent of the story is devoted to a “sixty years on” update on the lives of some of the characters but I found this too forced and overly sentimental. I would much preferred to have been left to reflect for myself on their futures. However, I do recognise that for anyone who prefers loose ends to be neatly tied up, this section of the book will probably hold more appeal.
From all that I have written so far it would be easy to assume that I didn’t get any enjoyment from reading this story so, as that isn’t true, I will end this review by sharing the aspects I did enjoy! As someone whose highlight of the week as a child was going to the library to take out as many books as I was allowed (without being restricted to the “age-appropriate” choices available in the classroom!), Salley’s portrayal of the importance of an understanding and enthusiastic librarian brought back many happy memories. I can still recall how exciting it felt to be offered so many opportunities to explore different worlds, and to lose myself in the magical world of reading – a pleasure which continues to this day! This sharing of a passion for reading cannot be over-estimated and is just one reason why we should all be doing everything we can to ensure that libraries aren’t closed!
I loved being reminded of so many of the books which held such importance for me as a child. Inevitably, there were some of her choices which I can recall disliking, as well as favourites of mine which she didn’t include, but what a lively discussion theme this would be for reading groups! I also appreciated how well she captured the era in which the story was set and thought that she achieved a realistic balance between reflecting a freer, more innocent time for children with some of the restrictions of choice, choices so often determined by a more rigid social-class divide.
Finally, no review of this book would be complete without some reference to how exquisitely beautiful the hardback copy is. With its pale-green cloth-effect cover and its flowery end papers, it’s a joy to hold, something which always adds a pleasurable dimension to my reading experience. ( )
  linda.a. | Oct 26, 2018 |
Sylvia Blackwell is excited to move to the village of East Mole in Wiltshire. She has been appointed to her dream job as children's librarian and has big plans, even her damp cottage and difficult boss do not challenge her enthusiasm. When Sylvia takes her landlady's granddaughter under her wing and coaches her for the 11+ exam Sylvia begins to see a different side of East Mole society - the lines of demarcation based on class and perceived intelligence, and the very conservative attitude to modern views. As Sylvia falls in love with a married man she sees her world begin to fall apart however she has planted seeds that will grow in the future.

I found this a very odd book, somewhat of a split personality. On one side there is the charming tale of Sylvia trying to promote reading in a village just awakening after the war. This side of the book is twee and pleasantly humorous. On the other side there is more politically conscious tale of prejudice and a fear of the modern as exemplified by the Henry Miller part of the plot. I find this a little forced and not quite as enjoyable. Perhaps it is my interpretation but I found the two themes somewhat discordant at times and I hated the last 10% of the book. If there is to be an update codicil then that's fine but it just seemed too long and introduced several other plot lines which weren't needed. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | May 29, 2018 |
I was enchanted by this novel, especially its evocation of 1950s England. I was impressed with Vickers' light touch as she navigated the misogynist, racist, religion-ist, class-ist mainstream world full of small-minded characters ready to judge and pronounce doom on others. While I found Sylvia, our protagonist, to be quite naive and not especially well-educated as a librarian, it was good for me to meet her - I had to get over my own expectations of what a librarian "should" know, "should" be, especially "should know better".
Sylvia is very young, and I sometimes forget what disastrous decisions are made when we are young. Vickers also reminded me, very gently, that wisdom is not the inevitabe result of living for a long time. I like her clear-eyed depiction of the varied cast.
The love interest, Dr Bell, is exactly the sort of man I distrust, so I was a bit cross with Sylvia for falling for him. However I loved the character Felicity Crake's comment that 'all seducers are misogynists'. Indeed they are!
The children I found to be real and complex, an unusual occurrence in fiction (except the TWINS, who SHOUT a lot and HAVE EXACTLY the same PERSONALITY as each other, being TOTALLY INDISTINGUISHABLE - but that was fun in its own way, and a very convincing 1950s take on twinship).
Lizzie Smith is a delight throughout, and very believable.
I'm not quite sure about the ending - part two - and will very much like to see what others think about it. For me, I could have happily finished at the end of Part 1, with all to be unknown. What do you think? ( )
1 vote ClareRhoden | May 1, 2018 |
'People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned.'
- Saul Bellow
For Philip Pullman and Jacqueline Wilson - two great storytellers - and for Rowan Brown, who understands the importance of stories.

Sylvia Blackwell, a young woman in her twenties, moves to East Mole, a quaint market town in middle England, to start a new job as a children's librarian. But the apparently pleasant town is not all it seems. Sylvia falls in love with an older man, but it's her connection to his precocious young daughter and her neighbours' son which will change her life and put them, the library and her job under threat. How does the library alter the young children's lives and how do the children fare as a result of the books Sylvia introduces them to?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,389,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible