World's End by Mark Chadbourn

World's End (1999)

by Mark Chadbourn

Recently added bylgrr24, private library, Nickpickle05, wildbadger

A gripping and fun beginning to a Celtic-apocalypse trilogy (technically, I suppose, a trilogy of trilogies). I'll be making sure that I get the next two books at the very least. The covers of the Pyr edition, done by John Picacio, are especially gorgeous. ( )
  CKmtl | May 23, 2014 |
I LOVED this book!! It's so different than anything else I have read lately. I'm not usually a big sci-fi book fan, but this was brilliant. Mythical creatures from British Celtic folklore slipping through into modern day Britain and causing chaos. What I loved most was the fact that the author had taken the time to learn about the areas mentioned in the book. I'm from the SW and the references to the Jamaica Inn, the Moors and Buckfastleigh were spot on. I will now always imagine the huntsman when driving along that stretch of the A38!! ( )
  moosenoose | Mar 30, 2013 |
In contemporary Britain, the age of reason ends and the age of magic comes back into being. Ordinary people find themselves thrust into the role of champions and obliged to search for talismans with which to resist evil powers which will plunge the land into perpetual darkness. But the forces of "light" are not necessarily friendly. And the allies they have are not all that helpful. The world around them is collapsing, and the way forward is uncertain. ( )
  Fledgist | Jan 27, 2013 |
So what would Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings look like had it been written by Stephen King instead? World's End (Age of Misrule) could be somewhat of an idea. This New Age fictional book tells the story of what happens when society starts to come undone--the Age of Reason starts coming to an end, and the story of the five Brothers and Sisters of the Dragon must find each other as well as mythical artifacts in order to try to stop the end of the age of reason and the beginning of a new dark age where technology is unreliable and failing, where the military might of the United Kingdom is no match for the gods and demons and dragons of yesteryear, and where you don't want to be caught outside after dark.

This book feels like it was written to be a movie, and it would be a very intense, fast-paced movie, with both action and horror aspects to it. And it has much for almost anyone--action, horror, mythology and new age elements, arthurian elements, demons, ghosts, crime, romance, and betrayal. It was written well in parts, where I could clearly imagine what was going on in the pages of this book, and I even had chills run down my spine as Mr. Chadbourn described some of the evilness of his villians, but other parts of the book lost me.

Where this book really lost me, though, was in its heavy reliance on celtic mythology, and going on about many names of celtic myth and new age names that I didn't really understand, causing me to skim over sections of it where it made no sense to me. While I feel that Mr. Chadbourn had really done his homework (I'm assuming that these names are really celtic myths that he references), he didn't need to cram so much of that down our throats to tell a good story.

He does a very good job of setting up his universe at the end of the book though. While the story of the first book is over, and you can tell that nothing is the same as it had been, you can either end the story there (which I likely will) or move on to the next book in the series. I'm very content to end where this book ends, though, and don't feel the need to continue on in the fear that the next story may diminish from what I feel was a great ending. ( )
  kingoftheicedragons | Nov 7, 2010 |
Nicely done Celtic-themed apocalypse. Chadbourn mixes in Arthurian and Christian symbolism, highlighting the whole 'every mythology is but a series of regional symbols' concept, and binds it all together into a suspenseful read. While the characters will occasionally do very stupid things in order to move the plot along, at the end I was very ready to dive right into the next book. ( )
  darkline | Oct 11, 2009 |
And now the world turns slowly from the light.
Weltendämmerung und Zeitenwende ist die gleiche Reihe. Zeitenwende ist die Neuauflage des Verlags Feder & Schwert.

When Jack Churchill and Ruth Gallagher encounter a terrifying, misshapen giant beneath a London bridge, they are plunged into a mystery that portends the end of the world as we know it. All over the country, the ancient gods of Celtic myth--together with terrifying creatures of folklore--are returning to the land from which they were banished millennia ago. As technology starts to fail, Jack and Ruth are forced to embark on a desperate quest for four magical items--the last chance for humanity in the face of powers barely comprehended.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,340,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible