Three Plays: Our Town, The Skin of Our…

by Thornton Wilder (Author)

Member:bgherman
Title:Three Plays: Our Town, The Skin of Our Teeth, and The Matchmaker (Perennial Classics)
Authors:Thornton Wilder (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2007), Edition: Reprint, 496 pages
Collections:On Loan, Your library
Tags:loaned Janet Lohman

Three Plays: Our Town, The Skin of Our Teeth, and The Matchmaker (Perennial Classics) by Thornton Wilder

Loved the reread of "Our Town", of course. Did not enjoy "The Skin of Our Teeth", and "The Matchmaker" fell somewhere in between those two. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I only read the first, Our Town, to preview it as a possible drama for the 8th graders next year as we are changing up some novels. I thought I had read it before, but after reading it, I don't think I had. I really enjoyed the story, and appreciated the subtlety of message. Simplistic and profound. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
A classic playwright? Or a postmodern playwright before postmodernism was the buzz? Wilder has a touch for the absurd, creating characters who are charming while being surly, ridiculous but recognizable, and so outlandish you just know they have to be for real. The settings are a mixture of the realist period that shaped his youth, with set descriptions that would do Arthur Miller proud, but they aren't actually realistic - there's always something a bit off about them. Ladders for second floors, walls that suddenly jump for no reason, just little touches of craziness and absurdism that help take the edge off plays that could be gritty and realistic if he hadn't made them so outlandish. A true masterpiece of theatre. ( )
  Devil_llama | Aug 16, 2012 |
I teach "Our Town" every year. It is my favorite play, but I enjoy the other 2 almost as much. I was on the prop crew when my college drama department did "Skin of Our Teeth" many years ago. ( )
  MerryMary | Apr 16, 2007 |
No curtain.

Three of the greatest plays in American literature collected in one volume

This important new omnibus edition features an illuminating foreword by playwright John Guare and an extensive afterword for each play drawing on unpublished letters and other unique documentary material prepared by Tappan Wilder.

Our Town—Wilder's timeless 1938 Pulitzer Prize-winning look at love, death, and destiny is celebrated around the world and performed at least once each day in the United States.

The Skin of our Teeth—Wilder's 1942 romp about human follies and human endurance starring the Antrobus family of Excelsior, New Jersey. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1943.

The Matchmaker—Wilder's brilliant 1954 farce about money and love starring that irrepressible busybody Dolly Gallagher Levi. This play inspired the Broadway musical Hello, Dolly!.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:53 -0400)

Presents three plays by American playwright Thornton Wilder, written between 1938 and 1955, including "Our Town," "The Skin of Our Teeth," and "The Matchmaker."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible