Watermelon by Marian Keyes

by Marian Keyes

Member:rochellebarker
Title:Watermelon
Authors:Marian Keyes
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2002), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 432 pages

Watermelon by Marian Keyes

English (33)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (36)
Not my cup of tea. Pretty light reading, and funny, but a little silly. Might be just what you want to read on vacation, though. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
View my full review on: diaryofdifference.com/2018/04/25/watermelon-marian-keyes-book-review/

A lovely read! Marian Keyes is one of my favourite authors of all time. The story of how I discovered Marian is quite funny, actually.

It was back in the days when I was a teenager and I was in love with the Gifted Series from Marilyn Kaye. I have read only the first two books and I have asked my mum to bring me the rest of them (there were six in total). She came back with a book with an author that had a similar name, and here we are today :)

I have read Watermelon a long time ago, but I have decided to share my thoughts with you now.

This is a chick lit book about a woman left on her own right after she gives birth to her first child and then goes back to her parent's house to start her life over.

This is a story about bravely, love, family and all little things that will melt your heart.
Prepare to cry - Actually, prepare to cry a lot, and don't say I haven't warned you.

A story that will stick with you for years after you've read it. The characters that will make you wish you met them and were their friends over and over again!

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest |
  InnahLovesYou | May 2, 2018 |
3.5 stars

The day Claire has her first baby, her husband James tells her he’s been having an affair and he is leaving Claire. Devastated, Claire moves back to Dublin from London to live with her parents and two younger sisters while she tries to figure out where to go from here. Her youngest sister, Helen, is in college and one day brings home a friend, Adam.

Have to admit, I didn’t like Claire all that much, but there were humourous bits to the story and it was still enjoyable, overall. Actually, I’m not sure there were any characters I really liked much. Maybe Adam. Close to the end, it was a bit… odd and took some figuring out (as Claire was also figuring it out!). I did enjoy the book enough to put the next Walsh family book on my tbr. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 27, 2017 |
Book Description
February the fifteenth is a very special day for me. It is the day I gave birth to my first child. It is also the day my husband left me...I can only assume the two events weren't entirely unrelated.
Claire has everything she ever wanted: a husband she adores, a great apartment, a good job. Then, on the day she gives birth to their first baby, James informs her that he's leaving her. Claire is left with a newborn daughter, a broken heart, and a postpartum body that she can hardly bear to look at.

She decides to go home to Dublin. And there, sheltered by the love of a quirky family, she gets better. So much so, in fact, that when James slithers back into her life, he's in for a bit of a surprise.

My Review
This book was hard to put down. Marian Keyes writes in a way that is very relatable. She has a way of expressing humor in tragic experiences that makes you feel exactly how her characters are feeling. The plot is very realistic and the characters are well-drawn. I have never read Marian Keyes before but I look forward to reading the 2nd book in this series, Rachel's Holiday, and I would highly recommend Watermelon to those who love to read chick-lit. ( )
1 vote EadieB | Oct 26, 2016 |
Another book I did not yet register here.

On Tuesday, May 29, 2007 I wrote on Bookcrossing

9 out of 10
Finished reading last night. At 02.30 I could not stop reading the last 150 pages.
While I thought the beginning a bit slow after a while I had settled in and was laughing a lot.
I have 3 sisters and no brothers. My mom is English, her mom was Irish and I recognized so much, it was hilarious. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Für Mum und Dad
February the fifteenth is a very special day for me.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

When her husband, James, leaves her after she delivers her first child, Claire retires to her family in Dublin, where she slowly recovers from the experience, giving James a big surprise when he shows up again.

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,971,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible